Hungry, and I forgot the needle to flexpen! &*#$%

(ThePancreanator) #1

So I'm sitting on campus right now.  I came to the student union building a while ago planning on shooting up and eating the sandwich that I made for lunch.  Luckily for me I somehow managed to not bring any needles for my flexpen.  So I'm sitting here, hungry, holding a delicious sandwich, as well as my flexpen, and I can't eat it.  Life is cruel sometimes haha.

(cdavid1) #2

What kind of sandwich is it? If it's something you can just take off the bread and eat, that's less carbs and you won't be starving at least!

(ThePancreanator) #3

[quote user="Courtney"]

What kind of sandwich is it? If it's something you can just take off the bread and eat, that's less carbs and you won't be starving at least!

[/quote]

It's a TURKEY AND CHEESE SANDWICH w/mustard... haha I'm not going to take the messy inside out and just eat that. Are you crazy? haha

(cdavid1) #4

[quote user="Matt Johnson"]

[quote user="Courtney"]

[/quote]

It's a TURKEY AND CHEESE SANDWICH w/mustard... haha I'm not going to take the messy inside out and just eat that. Are you crazy? haha

[/quote]

No, but I'm not the crazy one that left my life at home! haha

(ThePancreanator) #5

touché... haha

(cdavid1) #6

haha I'm sorry though, that really does suck. Just eat it if your that hungry. Your BG can't go up THAT much

(imax386) #7

I've done this before.  That's why after that I made sure to have a few pen needles in my backpack and car as back up just in case.

Maybe go to the student health office and see if you can borrow a syringe to draw out the insulin?

Haha sorry man, I know how frustrating it is.

(Aggie_Girl_10) #8

Ouch that sucks! I think I have pen needles stuck everywhere!!! I even gave some to my best friend and mom in case I ever forget! Which is such a good idea cause one day I had everything except pen needles and luckily my mom had some which saved me cause we were eating at a chinese place and I love the rice oh so much which is the worst part cause I'm a sucker for rice. But the sandwich really shouldn't make your BG go up that high.

(ThePancreanator) #9

[quote user="Aggie_Girl_10"]

Ouch that sucks! I think I have pen needles stuck everywhere!!! I even gave some to my best friend and mom in case I ever forget! Which is such a good idea cause one day I had everything except pen needles and luckily my mom had some which saved me cause we were eating at a chinese place and I love the rice oh so much which is the worst part cause I'm a sucker for rice. But the sandwich really shouldn't make your BG go up that high.

[/quote]

I usually keep like 10 needles for my flex pen in the side pocket of my bookbag.  I must have let them slip out or something.  I'm not THAT irresponsible haha.  But to put it in perspective, my BG was like 111 a couple of nights ago and I drank a glass of milk and it was 176 when I woke up.  My BG is pretty sensitive to carbs now. So a sandwich with 36g of carbs probable wouldn't be a good idea.  It's ok, I'll survive.  Dinner will just taste that much better. :D

(cab0902) #10

I have luckily never had this happen to me. A couple times, though, I have ran out of test strips for my meters and not had more with me so I couldn't check my blood sugar level. :S I usually try to make sure that I'm extra prepared, but some of it just slips my mind, which I know is bad, but I'm still new and still trying to grasp the fact that every time I leave my house I have to make sure I have everything I need PLUS extra of everything that I might need. We have to be some of the strongest people with really good memory.

(system) #11

personally, if i only had a few hours til i would be home..i'd say screw it and eat the sandwich. i've done that before. doesn't hurt you too bad as long as you aren't doing it all the time. i've eaten full meals at my moms and gone home three hours later for a shot.

(BrianPQuinn) #12

Well if nothing else it is a lesson learned. Granted if it was me, I would just eat the cheese (and turkey). That way you aren't as hungry or maybe I would wander to the store if you have something like that and look for vegetables or free foods to eat. Granted this won't help you now. But maybe in the future.

(system) #13

are veggies really "free" food though? I was always taught that they'd still cause your levels to go up..unless you ate celery or lettuce..but that won't fill you up.

(BrianPQuinn) #14

I think it depends on the veggie. I could eat an entire head of iceberg lettuce or of celery. I think that might fill me up. It is such a great thing to eat. And even if they are not completely free the "carbs" in a carrot are not as complex or heavy as what is in a piece of bread, I would think.

(system) #15

i donno i've snacked on carrots without insulin and without dip but still gone high.

and a whole head of lettuce..yeah that's really better than just eating the darn sandwich dude :P without dressing or anything that just sounds dull

(BrianPQuinn) #16

When hungry I am more than willing to go with something simple and be full. It is sad how much of love lettuce though to tell you the truth. But hey we all do what we can. I love to order the iceberg wedge at a restaurant with dressing on it, no bacon, croutons, or anything else. It is so good.

(system) #17

[quote user="Brian Q."]

When hungry I am more than willing to go with something simple and be full. It is sad how much of love lettuce though to tell you the truth. But hey we all do what we can. I love to order the iceberg wedge at a restaurant with dressing on it, no bacon, croutons, or anything else. It is so good.

[/quote]

lol wouldn't it be at least $15 cheaper to just go to the store and buy those two things?

(BrianPQuinn) #18

I would hope that I did not just $15 on a $2 meal. But when in a restaurant you are stuck with their menu and prices.

(since030993) #19

Matt!

I'm hanging on the edge of my seat...did  you ever get to eat?

(BrianPQuinn) #20

He never came back and told us. That is sad. I am hoping by now he has gotten a chance to eat something.