Hyper Low?

(OmniUser) #1

I know I posted this under Teens too but it applys to everyone I guess :)

Do any of you guys ever get like REALLY hyper when you are low cuz of insulin overdose? I notice that when I have a low due to over bolusing, I get hyper. I mean seriously... I feel and sct like if I was in a sugar rush.. I think its because my cells absorb the sugar too quickly and I have too much energy stored. On the contrary, when its a low cuz of exersizing, I get tired.

(Trevor) #2

I can't say I've ever felt 'hyper' due to insulin overdose.

The excercising 'tired' feeling makes sense because you're not just reducing the amount of sugar in your blood, you're also physically exhausting yourself.

(OmniUser) #3

I guess its not all that common. It mostly happens when I start going into a low. Not when Im acctualy low. Its funny sometimes. :)

(Dylan404) #4

You might be experiencing a sympathetic nervous system response; your body tries to activate sugar in your liver and make you awake so you can seek out food. In a way, it sounds similar to waking up when you have a low (I'll be a deep sleep and suddenly be jolted awake) 

(OmniUser) #5

Makes sense.. Its a little funny thou..

(Trevor) #6

Sometimes the brain will send out emergency signals and they'll be interpreted differently. Everything depends on personal biology and neural arrangement.

For you, realizing that your sugars are going into a tailspin due to an overdose of insulin could spark a "GO-GO-GO" hyper reaction, even though the "DO" is not defined. It just knows you need to do something fast.

(Dylan404) #7

Yea, while from an evolutionary perspective once you've reached that blood sugar level, you can no longer wait for someone else to get you sugar, you need to seek it yourself 

(OmniUser) #8

Lol, yeah GO-GO-GO!! Its amazing how the brain works sometimes...

(Trevor) #9

[quote user="Dylan"]

Yea, while from an evolutionary perspective once you've reached that blood sugar level, you can no longer wait for someone else to get you sugar, you need to seek it yourself 

[/quote]

Good old human brain survival instincts. All of the physiological aspects (burning glycogen stores, liver providing bolus of sugar) mixed with the mental aspects (brain, digestive system, and basic mobility get priority, fine motor skills, short-term memory, and an element of vision go out the window), working together to say "GET WITH IT, MAN! (or woman) YOU NEED FOOD!". The brain can be painfully blatant when it comes to self-preservation. We're built to survive.

(OmniUser) #10

.[quote user="Trevor"]

[quote user="Dylan"]

[/quote]

Good old human brain survival instincts. All of the physiological aspects (burning glycogen stores, liver providing bolus of sugar) mixed with the mental aspects (brain, digestive system, and basic mobility get priority, fine motor skills, short-term memory, and an element of vision go out the window), working together to say "GET WITH IT, MAN! (or woman) YOU NEED FOOD!". The brain can be painfully blatant when it comes to self-preservation. We're built to survive.

[/quote]

So i guess instead of being discribes as hyper, i go into a survival mode... cool.. lol

(BrianPQuinn) #11

I have run into the Hyper Low before. Sometimes when I start to act crazy it makes me realize that I am low. However, sometimes I am just crazy. I think at least for me, when I run into this, it is because I tend to be very reserved and try to hold stuff back, not say certain things, and always try to not offend people. However, when my sugar drops, just as some people get grumpy when they are low, i think the mind start to relax at times, which may cause my to react in a different manner, i.e. since I am usually calm and polite I tend to go a little wild and crazy. However, sometimes it can be a good thing. Sometimes when your inhibitions are lower you can get things out to people that need to be said, that you normally do not. I did that the other night, and I am glad that I did. However, had I not been "hyper" low I probably would not have said what needed to be said.

(Anonymous) #12

Uh, YES!!

(Jewels Doskicz) #13

Absolutely.  I get super silly sometimes.  My daughter who is 7 gets very hyper and silly and if you ask her to stop she can't.  Usually she will stop immediately if asked to calm down when she isn't low.  Her sister can tell by this behavior that she is low and will come and tell me.  Lack of sugar to the brain will make anyone silly and then usually tired too.

(MarkR) #14

I tend to feel hyper or silly whenever I am low, it doesn't necessarily have to be hyper low.  I think that is why my family, especially my daughter, know I am low before I do.  It is not only the brain network, liver and all the other systems kicking in to tell you there is a problem, insulin itself is a regulator as well.  Too much insulin in the system will initiate a series of events, that when you do go low, the body can go directly into survival mode.  Have to love the efficiency of it all.....