Hypoglycemia unawareness

(Sonja) #1

Hello!  Have any of you developed hypoglycemia unawareness or know any other type 1 diabetics who have developed this rare complication?  If so, how have you dealt with it? Thanks a bunch.  :-)

(Gina) #2

I have experienced hypo unawareness. They to prevent is to check, check check. I now have a continuous glucose monitoring system which helps.

(joe) #3

[quote user="Sonja"]

Hello!  Have any of you developed hypoglycemia unawareness or know any other type 1 diabetics who have developed this rare complication?  If so, how have you dealt with it? Thanks a bunch.  :-)

[/quote]

Sonja it's not so rare.   Besides testing, you can also run your blood sugar higher on purpose for a week.  Check with your doctor for recommendations, but usually above 150 mg/dl and keep it there.  The hypo feelings come from your kidneys (adrenalin and other hormones) so please if you have not had a workup done in a while go see your doctor.  If they don't know whatyou are talking about find a new doctor.

(figure skater girl) #4

i can go at 1.6 mmol/l and feel perfectly fine. i have no idea how to get rid of it. even after having higher blood sugars i dont notice it.