I know people can be extremely rude.. whts the rudest thing someone has said to you?

(music_lover) #1

i know a lot of things come up that kinda hurts. people sometimes seem to blame it on us for having this disease. it suxs. so i was thinking maybe we could have a discussion on what rude things and maybe hopefully try our best to get a good laugh out of it. maybe itll help a little with the frustration.

the rudest thing that has ever been said to me was not really said but expressed with there face. ha. when i told them that i had to take needles all the time and stuff they looked at me weird and were like ew i cant beleive you do that, i really wanted to say more then just "hey it saves  my life"

(Gina) #2

Allie,

this has been brought up before check it out here http://juvenation.org/forums/p/1062/7375.aspx#7375

(poodlebone) #3

I have to say that I have been very lucky when it comes to people's comments & looks.  Over the years I may have heard the usual "Oh, I could never give myself shots" a few times but that means nothing to me.  Before I was diagnosed I would have said the same thing.  In the hospital I was saying the same thing!  The only thing that ever really annoyed me was my best friend always saying, "Are you cheating?" (with food).  I never said anything because I know she really was concerned.  That was early on, 2 injections a day, no carb counting or corrections or anything like that.  If anyone said that to me now, I'd have to smack them. :)

As for strangers seeing me test or inject, the few times anyone has said something it was positive!

(music_lover) #4

liz- im glad youve had positive expierences =)

(system) #5

I was given the "Stink Eye" as I was giving my son an injection at the zoo.  I't was on a first grade field trip and my son and I were sitting on a bench outside the restrooms.  She was standing there with her daughter puffing on a cigarette eewwwing us.  I then walked past her with full eye contact and said to her, "I'm sure your husband must say that that to you when he smells your breath!"

Other than that incident,  people are pretty cool.

(meme) #6

Hi Movy,you have got the kind of backbone I dream of having !! Good for you !!

(sarahslp) #7

Wow, movy, love your response! I always just feel angry and think of something to say later. (:

(system) #8

We have received soooo many stares over the last 51/2 years, which is only human nature.  But the eeeww is unforgiving ignorance.  Making eye contact humanizes us to the curious.  I will never have Luka feel he has to scurry into a restroom or wherever.  I've always been a smart- ###.  Now I can put it to good use!  Thankfully most people do not have that level of ignorance.  Especially coming from another mom!  

(meme) #9

Hi Movy,just be sure to stay in the safe zone-these days you never know what the other person might do.But just to think if I had you around-you could have told a few people a thing or two for me,ha...It is well meaning people that I have the most problem with. they just are not thinking !!! why else would they have ever said these hurtful things ? So I try not to say much--Then I am left with get mad or cry. I have and continue to try to explain type 1--That does not seem to work always. I will say things have gotten better---hope that continues.

(Kateski) #10

I actually had someone at work say.  "Kate, I had a vision that you went low and were unconscious and that I had to revive you!"  This same lady every time she sees me asks me in a panicky way "Are you ok".  OHMIGOD it is annoying... I just counter back with a dead serious, "Are YOU ok?" She treats me like I am a wounded bird.  Seriously I am one of the strongest people I know, total type A personality, there is nothing more rude than this lady and her attempts to coddle me or whatever she is doing. Also, I am pretty sure she is T2! I can deal with people being squeamish or stupid about injections and testing... I just roll my eyes at them and let them know that they are being weak little prissy babies! Seriously! This is a tiny little needle we are talking about not a freak'n blood bath!  Do these people faint when they get a paper cut?!!?

(sarahslp) #11

[quote user="meme"]

. they just are not thinking !!! why else would they have ever said these hurtful things ? 

[/quote]

What makes me mad is how people say rude/dumb things in front of kids. Me, I'm an adult and can (usually, on a good day, ha, ha) handle it. But, how do they think this will affect the child as s/he grows up to have people acting like s/he is doing something gross. You must have to do a lot of explaining / damage control w/ your T1 kids? Do they respond and explain or are they too young?

(sarahslp) #12

[quote user="Kate"]

I actually had someone at work say.  "Kate, I had a vision that you went low and were unconscious and that I had to revive you!"  This same lady every time she sees me asks me in a panicky way "Are you ok".  OHMIGOD it is annoying... I just counter back with a dead serious, "Are YOU ok?" She treats me like I am a wounded bird.  Seriously I am one of the strongest people I know, total type A personality, there is nothing more rude than this lady and her attempts to coddle me or whatever she is doing. Also, I am pretty sure she is T2! I can deal with people being squeamish or stupid about injections and testing... I just roll my eyes at them and let them know that they are being weak little prissy babies! Seriously! This is a tiny little needle we are talking about not a freak'n blood bath!  Do these people faint when they get a paper cut?!!?

[/quote]

I've found in my own life that people who act like that w/ me usually have their own health issues going on and try to project their concerns onto me, not that that's an excuse to do it!

(system) #13

Hi MeMe!

Thanks for your reply.  I agree with you and being careful.  And I never feel any question or curiosity is annoying or ignorant and willingly will always educate anyone that is willing to ask and listen.  We are in the smallest ways spreading awareness and tolerance for our children and all that live the D-life.  Always cry when you feel like it and get angry when you feel like it.  I do.  Believe it or not you are gaining strength every time you do.