I like the pump, but I don't know if I like having something attached at all times

(Travis_Emerson) #1

Trust me, a big selling point of the pump is me bieng able to eat more.

But the things I like about shots, is that I take one, and I'm done, nothing left, or attached.

I just don't know if I want something slapping agaisnt my thigh when I run, and weighing me down.

(Nads) #2

Travis, I can understand what you mean, but I think the advantages to having a pump far outweigh the disadvantages in the long "run" (No pum intended!).  Maybe you could try one of those accessories that thy call a "thigh thing", where you basically have a stretchy band wrapped around your thigh and it has a pocket for the pump, therefore keeping it snugly in place.

I'm relatively new to pumping, but I view it as an opportunity for me to get creative...  I keep thinking up new contraptions that I could make so that I don't always have to clip the pump to my waistband.  Can you tell that I enjoy doing crafts?!?

(Anonymous) #3

I've had similar problems with it :)
I have yet to solve my running issues. Usually, I just slip it in the pocket of my pants, but every once in a while if it gets jostled it will fall out and yank on the infusion set. Which, as you can probably imagine, isn't much fun. Lately I've resorted to holding it in my hand while I run, which isn't that convenient either.
But as far as having something attached to you goes:
For a while after I was diagnosed, I was all about the pump. Bouncing around the doctor's office 'can I get it? can I get it?' And much to my dismay, 'No, not until you've been diagnosed a year.' One year later: 'can I? can I? can I?' 'Umm.... no. Not until you're out of your honeymoon period.'
Sigh. However, a few years after that when they began giving me packets and allowing me to start searching for a pump I would (eventually) like to get, the idea of having something inserted me 24/7 freaked me out. I was turned off to the pump for about... a couple months after that. It was only until about a year or two ago that I got back into it :)
I still don't like the idea so much of it poked in me; it doesn't bother me so much as when I sit there and think about it too long, it kind of weirds me out. At the beginning it was rough when I got a pump because the chords, believe it or not, reminded me a lot of being on an IV and thus when I was first diagnosed. But after seeing how tighter my control got, how I could eat without a shot, etc etc and all the fun parts of Rex (my pump ;)), it was a pretty easy thing to look over.

I don't know what the point of that was... to show you that you aren't alone?? No clue.
But it was fun posting anyway ;)
Hope it works out; keep us posted!

(wfejessie) #4

I managed to get my 8 year old daughter on a pump 1 month after she was diagnosed, thus she knows no other world.  Her father, on the other hand, has had T1D fo 38 years and is still on injections, also doesn't want something attached to him all the time.  My daughter's pump has failed a few times and during those days, she is not happy about taking shots.  On the other hand, when we're changing infusion sites and she's off the pump for a few hours sometimes, she'll joyfully proclaim "I'm pump free!"  I'm a huge advocate of the pump simply because when she was diagnosed at age 6, there's no way she would have had such freedom without the pump.  I gave her a cell phone and when she wants to eat something, she just calls and we guess together how many carbs it is.  Without the pump, she would have had many food restrictions that she never had.  But it will be interesting to hear her opinon when she's your age.

So I believe that not only is there is no "right" answer for everyone, and even an individual's "answer" may change at different times in that person's life.  When my daughter is in a bikini on the beach at age 16, she may very well not want a pump!  It's a personal decison and there are pros and cons to both methods.

(Dylan404) #5

Travis, I felt similar to you, but you honestly don't notice it at all after about a week. It's similar to carrying a cell phone in your pocket 

(hannabanna) #6

Spibelt, by overton fitness, is a great pump bag for active pumpers.  We had a difficult time finding a pump bag that was small enough and light enough to fit our 1 year old.  The bag is made for runners and I think it is supposed to be for ipods, phones, keys, and such but we use it for the pump.  It is made out of an incredible material too.  We tuck it under the elastic of her pants and it doesn't seem to move much.

(BrianPQuinn) #7

If excercise is the issue witht he pump, I have only twice run into running issues. But you learn fast how to handle it. What I ended up doing was I clip my pump to the inside of my shorts, not on the outside and tie my shorts tight. That way it is hard for the clip to come free while running. I men the only sport related issued was just an unfortunate ultimate frisbee infusion site attack. But that only happened once.

I was all about the needles for so long, but the pump really does make an unexpected change and usually for the better.

(Emmerbut) #8

i know how you feel. i have been diabetic sence i was about two and i am not sixteen. that is about 14 years, i have been on the pump for about 6 years and i have had all the proublems about what to do with my pump when i and running or playing a sport. what i have found the easest is to test befor i start to run or play a sport and then unhook it. then you just have to test when you hook back up.

(Woo Its Pat) #9

Travis,

There are pros and cons to having a pump. One of the pros is yes, it makes eating/drinking/correcting blood sugar easy in that you don't have to do multiple injections (say for a multi-course meal). Also removing the need for a long-term (Lantus) shot is nice too.

My solution to your problem with having it slap against your thigh when you exercise is just to disconnect. Test your sugar before, and test your sugar after and correct if necessary. And unless you weigh something like 20lbs, I don't see something that weighs < 2lbs being a hindrance and weighing one down.

The beauty of the pump is that you are able to disconnect from it from time to time. I don't see why that can't be a viable solution to the issue of having it being connected while you exercise. Just put it on "suspend" or "pause" or whatever stops the basal rate, do your workout / athletic event, and then reconnect when you're finished. Probably the simplest solution there...or if one is that opposed to being connected to something, they can always go back to injections..

My two cents :)

(Danielle1090) #10

Big ditto on the spibelt.

I wear it when I workout and run, best thing yet. It is small and discreet, and keeps the pump 'out of the way' while being busy.

Other then that, I just clip the pump on my front pocket, and forget it is there half the time. Honestly, I feel more liberated on the pump then I did on the shots. The benefits definitely out weigh any negatives.

(OmniUser) #11

I have the omnipod and it is allot more bulky to run around with, at first i was worried of doing a bunch of things but now, never has it fallen off of me cuz of playing or doing anything.