Ideas For More Discipline With Testing?

(Kayla) #1

Long story short: I AM SO HORRIBLE AT TESTING MY BLOOD :angry:

Long story long:
I’ve had diabetes since I was 2 years old- I am now 22… Of course, when I was younger, my parents helped me a bunch, I went through all the techy stuff to aid me as well ( my dad also got T1D before I was born so that was a huge help). When I started getting older, I went though a phase where I was just…MAD. Why me? Why this? Out of sight out of mind stuff…well that only can go on for so long. After years of off and on"good diabetic vs. bad diabetic", I think I just…lost my motivation. Now, I go through these waves of being the perfect diabetic for a VERY short period of time, and then POOF I don’t test for days or weeks at a time. I know, it’s horrible.

Really, what i’m looking for are people that went or are going through the same thing as me. What was done to break this habit? How do you MAKE yourself test like you’re supposed to?

A lot of responses I get most of the time, especially by doctors and family is- JUST DO IT!! Yeah, easier said than done lol. You guys know :laughing:. I’m getting to the point where if I don’t do something now, something bad is going to happen, if it’s not happening already. It’s also wearing me down. Those thoughts of “man, I can’t do that, what’s wrong with me.” “Why can’t I just do this.” They start to wear on my mental, for sure.

If anyone has any tips or tricks to help, that would be amazing. It’s finally time I admit I need the help.

:heart: Thank you so much for reading…

~Kayla

(Kathy) #2

Hi Kayla,

I’ve been doing T1D for 50 years so I’ve been where you are. The way I’ve dealt with fixing under testing in the past is to get into a routine. The easiest place to start is to do a BG when you first get up and then just before you go to bed. It easy to remember and you can leave your meter in a convenient, really visible location in your bedroom. With this starter routine, you don’t have to pack your meter around with you.

Alternatively, I expect that you take an bolus in the morning and perhaps a long acting in the evening. You can also tie you BG routine to those events. As you get used to the routine, you can look at adding other BGs. One thing I do is have a second meter that I keep at work. I don’t know if this is possible for you, but if you can, it makes it easier to add a lunch check or a check at your mid shift break if you do not have a traditional day job.

Remember to record the results - there are lots of apps out there and there are some that you can use to upload your meter to a service. An upload service can sometimes have a charge, but it also makes recording really easy and the data will become useful information for you and your doctor.

The big thing is to get into a routine. The rest will come.

(Dennis J. Dacey, PWD) #3

Hi Kayla @AylaKay, a BIG WELCOME to TypeOneNation - we are happy to have you with us.

I hear what you are saying and clearly relate - what you may be experiencing is what some call “burnout” which is ‘common and normal’ and in my eyes expected. During 60+ years living with diabetes I have gone through similar periods - including one in the 1950’s and 1960’s that caused severe eye damage.

As far as blood testing - I don’t “test” but at least eight times every day I have developed a routine to CHECK my BGL and make adjustments when needed. I began wearing a BG Meter on my belt - a guy advantage.

As Kathy @kkavolinas says, develop a routine that fits into your everyday schedule, like when you get up and when you retire, and then expand from there. A second [or third] meter and a small notebook could really help - depending on brand you could probably get a free one at diabetes events, doctor’s office or from the manufacturer - they make their money selling you the check-strips.

A suggestion from an old-timer, set your eyes on your future, envision a full, active life and go for it - and manage YOUR diabetes to fit in with your chosen lifestyle. You have lots to look forward to.

(Kayla) #4

Thank you so much for that idea. I feel starting small with have a much better outcome than trying to check at least 8 times a day. I could be getting too overwhelmed with trying to do that right off the bat.

(joe) #5

warning - this is very long

I would hate to be in a contest here, but since I didn’t check my blood sugar for about 10 years straight (a long story), you can not be “the worst”

@kkavolinas and @Dennis already put it out there and I agree with what’s been said. I want to add that burnout or at least some kinds of depression/anxiety/denial thing may also be present. Some degrees of depression can make you exhausted.

Here’s how I came to understand it: When you are exhausted you can’t take care of yourself, when you can’t take care of yourself you begin the negative self-talk, the negative self talk supports a base belief you are “bad” and that feeling you are bad enforces depression and makes you exhausted. this self regenerating circle is a kind of depression,

I joked with my therapist about him being out of a job if people could be actually helped with the “just snap out of it” speech.

for me, this became a never ending downward spiral. think how exhausted a dog would get chasing it’s tail forever. the self-talk you are putting in your replies could have come right out of my mouth and though you put it in a funny way - it’s right there.
a couple of things that helped
exposure to others needing help and a therapist or someone not emotionally involved. Everyone in your family, and all of your close friends want you to feel better - don’t be surprised if you can’t go deep with them because it makes others uncomfortable. Instead of addressing your fears and depression they will put a band aid on it, hand you a tissue, and send you on your way.

change your self talk. seriously, the mind is a terrible thing. if you say something to yourself long enough you will not only believe it it will become real and have it’s own symptoms. therapy, and intense work on self esteem was the most helpful thing to me. I always have energy for my friends, if someone needs me I leap up to help. I had to learn to be my own friend, and to give that help to the person who truly needed it the most. as creepy as this is going to sound it works: look at yourself in the mirror and hang up a big picture of yourself. every time you pass you tell that image you are there for them, you got her back, you love them, and nothing can harm you if you stick together. I couldn’t hang up a picture of me, and every time I saw my reflection I jokingly told that image to f— off. I never gave it much thought but I didn’t just not like myself. I absolutely hated myself.

the truth may be that the reason you are feeling upset may be because part of you sees that you are not treating yourself right. that’s not the bad part, that’s the good reaching out. I am one of the world’s most stubborn people, but I could be re-trained and it’s never too late for a change of heart.

I even thought asking for help was a failure. “I should be able to think my way out of this”, I used to say to myself. the truth is that my best thinking got me to this place, and so I needed guidance to get out. It isn’t a failure. It is scary and unpleasant at first, but then things really do begin to change. I think you have abundant untapped energy, and as soon as you want to take care of yourself, for the only reason that makes sense: because you are worth it and you deserve to be happy, you’ll feel it.

good luck @AylaKay

(Dennis J. Dacey, PWD) #6

Yes Kayla @AylaKay, start small.
what I’ve found most effective for me [not only with diabetes management] is to do things within a scope where I’m comfortable and then expand. Not that I have avoided a challenge.

Think about it like buying an old house that needs many, many repairs like leaky plumbing, a roof that needs replacement and peeling paint. I certainly can’t doo it all on weekends so I’ll tackle one aspect, such as the roof with rainy season approaching, and then move on to the other bits. In your situation, think of the time of day when you feel your BG screaming at you and maybe set that time to do a BG check and then adjust your insulin or food to avoid that feeling. Once there, move to the next place.

My Best wishes for you.

(Kayla) #7

@joe WOW. If that doesn’t sound like me, I don’t know what does. I’ve gone through most of my teenage and adult life with diabetes talking down about myself internally. Saying the exact same things, even. I always say i’m the worst diabetic- how can I not treat myself any better when I’m not saying any different? MAKES SENSE… As sucky as it is to admit it, maybe I do need some help with that internal dialog to push me in the right direction. I do feel like I am dealing with two different people in my head- the one who keeps saying “Hey you need to do this, you aren’t taking care of yourself the way you deserve and are capable.” And then the other “you already didn’t do well today so that ONE TIME you tested before bed means nothing. You’re such a bad diabetic.”.

I’m so glad you mentioned that aspect of it, and I appreciate you reaching out. What you summed up, I believe, is my biggest problem.

Thank you so much @joe