If you could alter one food, what would it be?

(Andy) #1

The wife recently bought me a box of diabetic-friendly breakfast cereal.
It turned the milk a putrid grey color and tasted like sadness. Even the dog turned her nose at it.

What I wouldn’t give for a carb-free, sugar free box of magically delicious Lucky Charms!!!

(Steven) #2

Hey Andrew. I always seem to be on your threads. Common enemy?
Remember "Sugar Smacks? and “Sugar Pops?” They changed names to sound healthier. But we know the truth.
I would change Ben and Jerry’s “Chunky Monkey.” Damn, that’s good!!
“Diabetic” food, in my experience, is almost always disgusting and usually has too many carbs anyway. I’ve said it before and will again. Dial the sweet tooth down. Eating sweets only makes me want more.
Pork ribs and a baked potato? Yesss. Steak with fried onions and mushrooms? Bueno. For breakfast, it’s usually corn tortilla, cheese, eggs, sausage and lots of coffee. Oatmeal with cinnamon and dried fruit is good (higher carbs tho). Let us know if you find something we can’t do without. SW

(Andy) #3

in my opinion and track record, just about anything that sez “diabetic-friendly” is guaranteed to taste like tree bark.
Growing up, my twin brother loved Sugar Smacks. My go-to, since 1968, was always lucky charms. And yes, Mom also always sent up to the beach with Cocoa butter or baby oil. (“Vitamin D is good for you!” she said, while lighting up a Viceroy. LOL

(Steven) #4

If you haven’t read David Sedaris, you should. You’d like him. Sister is Amy Sedaris, SNL and more.

Anything that says “diabetic friendly” isn’t a true friend.

(karenchq) #7

My husband wanted to have a special dinner for my birthday and asked me what I wanted. Difficult decision, toast my favorite food, Fruity Pebbles or Lucky Charms. Sugar is so darned addictive and I am weak on willpower. One bowl of cereal would lead to 3 or 4. I agree the “diabetic foods” at the store are terrible, expensive, offensive and often just as many carbs. Forget the diabetic candy unless you don’t mind horrendous gas.

(Andy) #8

Lucky Charms…Lucky Charms…Lucky Charms…

They are magically delicious, aren’t they?

(Dennis J. Dacey, PwD) #9

I agree with you @karenchq on your thoughts about “diabetic foods”.
My instinctive reaction when I see packaged foods, even from reputable manufacturers, labeled “healthy”, “diabetic”, “no sugar” is "PWD BEWHARE!"

(Janice) #10

Andy, I have been a type one for 64 years and I eat regular cereal, or regular anything, I adjust my insulin to accommodate the carbs I am going to eat. Don’t like Lucky Charms, but Raisin Bran or Honey nut cheerios, great. Apparently no one is teaching you how to eat and enjoy what you are eating, Diabetics don’t have too much sugar we just don’t have insulin. I’d bet that the sugar in our systems is the same amount as a non diabetic, and I adjust my insulin in the same way my body would if I wasn’t a diabetic… General rule (not carved in stone) 1 unit of insulin for every 10 grams of Carbs- 1 unit of insulin will lower your BS by 50 points. I adjust my insulin based on my BS at the time and how many carbs I am going to ingest. Fortunately some of the doctors I had way back when, didn’t have a problem with this, some think I am so wrong, but after 64 years and no complications they don’t argue… One of my doctors 64 years ago when I was diagnosed and in the hosp , told me that “there wasn’t anything I couldn’t do or have as long as I did it the right way” He was right. If you keep your BS in the right range with the Carb=Insulin , your A1c won’t change. Hope this helps… Let me know Bye jan

(Dennis J. Dacey, PwD) #11

Well said Janice @JaniceD , my thought exactly. I too have been helped over the years by some forward think doctors, those not going “by the book” written by people not blessed with our condition. Really good doctors would be asking us to help them understand diabetes so they can work with us develop effective treatment plan; like the endocrinologist I was seeing, who taught at the university medical school, who asked me if I would co-teach his sessions on diabetes.
Anything “worth doing” is worth doing well, and this means that people living with diabetes should live life completely and enjoy the pleasure of eating.

(Janice) #12

Hi Dennis, long time no hear, we have been fortunate to have doctors that are more open minded and understand there is more to being a diabetic than what is in the book. Every time I see my Endo she asks “What are you going to teach me now”. I like you have probably educated more people and doctors in our life than we could possibly know. Like I said before, I lost my leg and my mouth got bigger, remind me not to go swimming with the sharks again, just kidding. I think sites like this are very important for educating others, don’t know if their doctors don’t have the time or if they just don’t know, educators either… Enough of my lecturing, have a great day. Bye Jan. PS: started this fall’s JuJitsu lesson. Fun

(J) #13

Are there any “diabetes-friendly” pizzas out there? Office parties bring pizzas that are almost impossible to carbohydrate and fat count. Recipes anyone?

(Sal) #14

Pizza is very much diabetes friendly. It digests very slowly over a few hours which gives you plenty of time to cover for it. (Unless your local pizza place dumps a bag of sugar into their sauce).

It should be pointed out that T1’s and insulin-dependent diabetes is different from T2’s that are on medication. There is more flexibility for insulin than for medication. A T2 on medication eating Lucky Charms is asking for trouble. The medication will not cover for that much sugar, whereas the right amount of insulin (timed right) will.

(Dennis J. Dacey, PwD) #15

Jane @W7tzn1Ck83e, almost ALL pizza is healthy and perfect for people with diabetes - as long as you are able to control addiction and refrain from going overboard. The one form of pizza which may not be really healthy [for ALL humans] is the “deep dish” intended for those who favor obesity.
I regularly eat pizza and find I can get my fill with the “thin crust” style - I most often eat “white” style or because I don’t care for tomato paste, but pizza made with a good red sauce is also a favorite.

(J) #16

Hi Dennis, I like my pizza on a thin crust and with a tomato sauce and veggies and very little cheese. Most other people I have found tend to like the more traditional pizza which tends to be high in calories and fat.

(J) #17

Hi Zale, I am just learning to use an extended bolus to cover for high fat foods. It is nice to know there is an advantage to being a T1.