In need of a new endo!

(type1at18) #1

So I was diagnosed about a year and a half ago... at 18. I first had a nurse practitioner that specialized in juvenile diabetes. However, once I expressed interest in an insulin pump, she suggested changing to an adult nurse practitioner therefore I could get one sooner. I did this 8 months after being diagnosed (January of this year). I absoutely LOVE my new nurse practitioner. She's amazing! This is why I was heartbroken to hear that she is taking a "better opportunity" and will be leaving as of Dec. 1st.

Which means as of Dec. 1st all my current prescriptions are expired. Therefore I need to find a new endo or nurse practitioner (specializing in diabetes). 

How do I even go about doing this? I tried searching online, however, its not giving me much hope, however, perhaps I'm looking in the wrong spot.

Any help would be much appreciated!

(A-D) #2


Often, transferring medical professionals will find people they feel comfortable recommending and your current practitioner may have some advice for you.  That said, another good place to start is:  Endo's who are members of the AACE just have the degree and have joined the organization - so... you still will need to do some research - but, as starting points go, it should at least find providers who are near to you...  I am sure some others will have some more (and likely better) advice, too...

Please keep us posted as you go and if you find any other good lists/resources for tracking down good T1 talent!




(TextingMyPancreas) #3

Good advice - the practioner you are seeing now should have suggestions, as I'm sure you're not the only one of their patients who will need to find someone new!  Just thought I would throw it out there, I see an Internist instead of an Endo.  The only reason, though, is that there are only 2 Endo's in Lincoln, I've been to both, and totally didn't agree with how either one handled my care.  Much, much happier now that I've found an Internist who works with T1's.

Best of luck!