Insulin pump and weight gain

(system) #1

soooooooo im just wondering. if i go on the insulin pump..should i be expecting some weight gain?

i've already pretty much stopped excrising(aka not going to the gym, for the time being havent kept up with my plan of running around thetis lake every saturday or sunday morning) because of work, summer trips, social engagements..and well my tattoo landed me two-ish weeks of not being able to wear anything but my black flats..so i've gone from 145-ish to 150 when i do weigh myself, and my tummy has come back a bit(i keep forgetting to do situps and crunches when im at home..but that's usually cuz im either sleeping, or on the computer editing photos or making plans/checking emails and such while i'm cleaning the house!)..but im fine with that, since im planning on getting another gym membership in september when things settle down!

..but i dont wanna put on more weight than i already have!

(larawithhrt) #2

At first, I did not gain weight because I think it actually cut down my insulin needs because the pump keeps track of the active insulin on board in our system already- so I found myself giving less insulin than I thought I needed. 

What I am trying to say is- let's say my carb ratio is 1 to 10- and I have a 40 gram meal- AND my bloodsugar is 100 (right!!-it does happen!)   I would manually inject 4 units.

Well, if I were to put in bloodsugar 100 and 40 carbs it might actually give me less than 4 units depending on when I last bolused  insulin and the rate at which I have active insulin programmed into my pump.  Also, of course it would adjust more or less too depending on my premeal blood sugar that was other than 100- like if it was 80 it would give less to, plus less the active insulin working.  I used to do that also in my head and am really good at math, but the pump is just way more precise at calculating the active insulin part- I really used to only acount for my carb ratio and insulin sensitivity ratio in my head was not able to account for the active insulin already in my system- hope that makes sense!

I am sorry if you already know this info and you've heard it before-  anyway, just explaining why I think I didn't gain weight.

But now after years of wearing it and it is sooooo much easier to eat more and snack more, I sometimes think, if I was on shots I wouldn't eat sooo much- but I think I am deceiving myself- so since then, I have had some weight gain, but it I think it really has to do with eating behaviour and age- I don't think I can blame the pump for eating those extra potato chips I shouldn't have had! 

This is just my experience.  But I would like to hear from others too because if there is something I don't know, and I found out going off the pump would instantly help me lose the 20 lbs that I so want to lose, I would take it off in a heartbeat!  I am vain.

Laura

(system) #3

awesome thanks :) i don't really get any of it really cuz i'm so used to shots..so im hoping i understand a bit more of how it works when/if i get a pump and get trained!

i'm hoping i dont change my eating habits much..unless it's to start including breakfast more often. i'm already trying to fix my eating habits and i was just hoping that i'm not gonna experience any extra gain like when i switched from N to Lantus(tho it wasn't that noticeable and i was going through my growing stage anyways)!

(hcole) #4

[quote user="Laura"]I found out going off the pump would instantly help me lose the 20 lbs that I so want to lose, I would take it off in a heartbeat!  I am vain.[/quote]

You aren't vain!  You are a woman...... we all worry about weight whether we like to admit it or not!

I haven't heard much about weight gain and the pump, I haven't gotten one...Yet:)  Your theories sounds pretty right to me though...

(imax386) #5

To be blunt: No.  You will not gain weight due to the pump.

There's nothing physiologically different about how you're treating your diabetes once you start a pump.  You're still just taking rapid-acting insulin all day.  Thus if you're not gaining weight with your current treatment, then nothing will be different due to the pump alone.

The ONLY reason you might gain weight after going on a pump (mind you, this is not the pump's fault) is because how easy it is to snack and eat sporadically once insulin is only a button push away.

I've been on and off the pump for 10 years and I've seen no difference in weight gain while on the pump.

And trust me, if you want to lose weight it's not going to be any easier September.  We make time for things we want to make time for.  If you're fearing weight gain due to the pump then be proactive and get to the gym/the lake/whatever it takes to crush that fear.  Once you hit that routine you'll be much more gung ho about exercise.  Speaking from personal experience.  It's all mental--you can totally do it TODAY!

(Anonymous) #6

Hi Batts,

I have been on a pump for 15 years, never experienced weight gain because of the pump.

(system) #7

[quote user="Ideen"]

And trust me, if you want to lose weight it's not going to be any easier September.  We make time for things we want to make time for.  If you're fearing weight gain due to the pump then be proactive and get to the gym/the lake/whatever it takes to crush that fear.  Once you hit that routine you'll be much more gung ho about exercise.  Speaking from personal experience.  It's all mental--you can totally do it TODAY!

[/quote]

haha you don't know me at all obviously. i don't have a FEAR of weight gain..i've always been around 145-150, even now when I just finished a year of working out at the gym + taking classes AND having a personal trainer AND fixing my eating habits/cutting out as much junk as possible. I'm not trying to lose weight by working out, I'm trying to tone a bit and be healthier overall. I just don't want to suddenly find I've gained 5-10pounds by switching my insulin routine..IF i switch to the pump.

(2Sweet4U) #8

I think the only reason why the pump companies say you may gain weight is because once you get a pump, you will be able to eat more on a "when you want to" basis. This makes it easier for you to pick up food and eat it whenever, which might cause you to gain weight.

You just have to be careful and consicentious of not eating too much. You definitely need more willpower when you get a pump!!

(imax386) #9

[quote user="Batts"]haha you don't know me at all obviously. i don't have a FEAR of weight gain..i've always been around 145-150, even now when I just finished a year of working out at the gym + taking classes AND having a personal trainer AND fixing my eating habits/cutting out as much junk as possible. I'm not trying to lose weight by working out, I'm trying to tone a bit and be healthier overall. I just don't want to suddenly find I've gained 5-10pounds by switching my insulin routine..IF i switch to the pump.

[/quote]

Haha ok, it's great that you were being proactive.  The answer is still "NO".  You're not going to suddenly gain 5 pounds from switching to a pump.  The way you deliver your insulin has no bearing on weight gain/loss.  Is there something that you heard that made you think people do?

If you want a pump, go for it!  Weight gain/loss is not something that happens with the pump so don't let it influence your decision.

(system) #10

nothing specific. i just thought i read somewhere that people usually gain weight after switching to the pump..but its probably cuz they eat more.

(atquinlan) #11

i was told by my doctor that when you go from not taking care of yourself to being in control you gain weight because you are not losing the sugars through urine anymore. Im not saying you are not taking care of yourself now, but when I went on the pump my control was better. I gained a little but that had to do with getting older to (and of course eating more!)

(ASHLEE BAILEY) #12

ive been on the pump about 2 months now and i just have to say ive olny had a small weight gain. but the pump is great to have. it makes a huge difference in controlling your diabeties when i first went on the pen i had an A1C of 8.1 but now that im on the pump i have an A1C of 6.0 and ive olny been diabetic 8 months. my dad who is a 30 year diabetic just barely got it to a 6.1 A1C. the  doctors were in shock when they heard that because i was the first one to have one like that in a few years at my doctors office.

(system) #13

=/ well i hope i don't gain too much!! i gotta start doing my workouts again, summer is the worst..its so hot all i wanna do is laze in the sun cuz its too hot to do much else! :(

(CJ1230) #14

Hi Batts

After being on a pump for the past 6 yrs I haven't gained any weight from the pump(just the eating anytime I want) but after being to the endo. last wed. I found out I have lost 7-8lbs.

And I know how you feel about working out in the summer when it's so hot, and from all the weather reports I've seen I know B.C is going through a heat wave right now. Hope your staying cool.

CJ

(system) #15

im trying!! tofino was redicliously hot which was nice for the beach but maaan my levels got messed and i am burnt!