Is it rude to ask about someone's A1C?

(Fred) #1

Just wondering if you guys consider it rude when someone asks what your A1C is? I recently asked another parent of a type1 what her childs last A1C was. She gladly told me, but afterwards I was wondering if that was something that might offend people to be asked.

(amyl1027) #2

I wouldn't consider it to be offensive.  As a parent of a type 1 child, it's always helpful to be able give or get advice from someone else if needed.  Granted, I don't really wanna tell someone else if my A1C is off, but, at the same time, it motivates me to keep making an effort for improvement.  Sometimes, it's nice to know that someone else has the same concerns as me.

(CHLjoe) #3

I don't.  It isn't a personal secret to me, ask away.  I'm sure you could find someone that guards it as if it were the location of the grail, such is the world.

(Anonymous) #4

I would not be offended. As a Diabetic I have my A1 checked and when talking with other diabetics we often ask and discuss our results. If a non diabetic asked me I think I would be more shocked that they knew what an A1c was than offended.

(ndstephanie) #5

I don't think it's rude, but some people might be taken aback, especially if their A1Cs aren't where they would like them to be.  Maybe it's better to phrase the question more like" "Have your A1Cs been on target or in range?" That way the person can say yes without having to give an exact figure.

(Anonymous) #6

[quote user="Stephanie"]

I don't think it's rude, but some people might be taken aback, especially if their A1Cs aren't where they would like them to be.  Maybe it's better to phrase the question more like" "Have your A1Cs been on target or in range?" That way the person can say yes without having to give an exact figure.

[/quote]

That is a good idea as well. Some people have a target of 6, while others may be trying for 8. I would probably word the question similar to how you mentioned something along the lines of "how is your A1c?". I guess for me it has always been that I am so excited when I come across another diabetic that any questions regarding my care don't really bother me. it is like meeting someone with the same rare hobby, it's nice. Bad analogy but that is what came to mind.

(sarahslp) #7

[quote user="Happy Vegan"]

it is like meeting someone with the same rare hobby, it's nice. Bad analogy but that is what came to mind.

[/quote]

lol! Rare hobby of obsessing over carb counts, visiting the endocrinologist, poking oneself all the time, and spending waaaay to much time on Juvenation. (:

For people with a1c's higher than they'd like, they may not want to share. I sometimes just tell them mine, and it's natural for them to respond with theirs if they feel comfortable. 

(paulg765) #8

I think it's good to discuss A1c's and overall management in a constructive and supportive manner.  On the other hand, I don't think these matters should ever be discussed in a manner which is critical, demeaning or competitive.  There's nothing to be ashamed of, not is there anything to brag about.  We're all trying our best to deal with a difficult set of circumstances.

(DDrumminMan) #9

Rude might be kind of a strong term, but maybe overly inquisitive.  I mean if I'm talking to someone who you found out also has diabetes and we're sharing info and experiences and so forth, then yeah, it'd be OK.  If someone I didn't know very well found I have diabetes and then immediately asked, I'd probably tell them it was none of the f*&#ing business.  I guess it just depends on the circumstances.  I probably wouldn't ask anyone else though.

(Anonymous) #10

[quote user="Paul Glantzman"]

I think it's good to discuss A1c's and overall management in a constructive and supportive manner.  On the other hand, I don't think these matters should ever be discussed in a manner which is critical, demeaning or competitive.  There's nothing to be ashamed of, not is there anything to brag about.  We're all trying our best to deal with a difficult set of circumstances.

[/quote]

That is a great point Paul, and I agree. I don't have a critical personality and shy away from those who are overly critical of me. An A1c is just a measurement, and says nothing of how much effort one puts into their care.