Is there a book?

(Bri.mae.13) #1

One time I was talking to one of the girls on here about the book "My Sister's Keeper".

I wanted to look into finding a similar story(ies) to that book but based on diabetes.

Does anyone know of any (preferable young adult)?

(Anonymous) #2

I don't know what my sister's keeper is about but I was told by a friend to read Sweetblood. They said it was a good YA novel. I just picked it up atthe library haven't read it yet. It is by Pete Hautman.

(system) #3

i read the book "sugar isn't everything" when i was in middle school. i don't remember much about it, but the main character is a high schooler diagnosed with t1.

(Mary B) #4

When I was first diagnosed my doctor gave me what I refer to as my "Pink Panther" book.  I'm not even sure it's still in print.  It was not fiction but was aimed at children and young adults with T1.  The only other book I know of is aimed more toward adults.

(bunucky_jonas_11) #5

[quote user="Mary B"]

When I was first diagnosed my doctor gave me what I refer to as my "Pink Panther" book.  I'm not even sure it's still in print.  It was not fiction but was aimed at children and young adults with T1.  The only other book I know of is aimed more toward adults.

[/quote]

they still have those! but it's like the 11th edition tho..

i have a couple from my doctor and the jdrf bag of hope

(Helfen) #6

I remember seeing this post on here a while back. Sounds like what you're looking for.

My name is Eric Devine and I have had type 1 for 18 years. I am also a teacher and author. My novel may be of interest for all of you because the protagonist acquires type 1. This Side of Normal is marketed as Young Adult, but I have received much praise from adult audiences who have read the work. Therefore, if you are interested and want to read some excerpts, please stop my blog: ericdevine(dot)wordpress(dot)com. I also have some diabetes-related articles there. If you become interested in purchasing my book, it is available at longtalepress(dot)com and on Amazon. I hope this doesn't come across as hijacking on a message board. My book comes from the heart, and as you'll see puts to words the life we all lead. Thanks for your time.
Eric

(Savs) #7

Ahh, I LOVE My Sister's Keeper

It is easily one of the most sad books EVER.

I would also be interested in reading abook like that but with diabetes as the disease

(Anonymous) #8

I did some poking around at my local library and this is what I have come up with so far. I did find a few other books but they were more geared toward children 13 and under. I'll keep looking though.

Wretched: (This Is My Sorry) - Katherine Marple

Last Dance - Lurlene Mc Daniel

Sweetblood - Pete Hautman

(samryan2997) #9

There's an awesome  memoir(sp?) called "Needles" by andie dominick. Best book ever next to "Sweetblood"

(Anonymous) #10

[quote user="Sam Ryan"]

There's an awesome  memoir(sp?) called "Needles" by andie dominick. Best book ever next to "Sweetblood"

[/quote]

I'm half way done with Sweetblood. It had me crying earlier. I wish they had a book like Sweetblood when I was younger. I really like the part about testing and having a nice normal number where you don't have to do anything. I was saying before in another thread about how we sometimes measure ourselves based on blood sugar results (which we shouldn't, because we are way more important than a number), the Author of Sweetblood touches on that a lot. I also love the whole vamp theory brought up in the book, the way it is written it is totally possible.

(Sarah_0776) #11

[quote user="Happy Vegan"]

I did some poking around at my local library and this is what I have come up with so far. I did find a few other books but they were more geared toward children 13 and under. I'll keep looking though.

Wretched: (This Is My Sorry) - Katherine Marple

Last Dance - Lurlene Mc Daniel

Sweetblood - Pete Hautman

[/quote]

Too bad my library doesn't have Wretched. It sounds really good, way better than the few fiction books I've read about PWD.

I read Last Dance a few years ago. It's extremely short- like 140 pages- and I think I read it in about an hour. It wasn't great, but the overall plot was pretty good.

(samryan2997) #12

I LOVE Sweetblood!!! I think most if not all of us feel like Lucy. Needles will make you cry even harder, hopefully you get a chance to read it sometime.

(Amber Buller) #13

Brianna!!!

I def remember tlking about looking for books related to diabetes!! Haha i have been searching and havent found any :(

(AuDAlly) #14

Random: I'm almost 24 and think that books for young adults are the best. They encourage personal growth and have the best story lines :)

(cdavid1) #15

So back in February when I was diagnosed I decided to start writing a book. And I never have enough time to work on it because of school. So, every time someone posts something about books about diabetes it gets me in the mood to finish my book. Maybe one day I'll be done and you guys can all read it!

(Trisha Faye) #16

[quote user="Ally"]

Random: I'm almost 24 and think that books for young adults are the best. They encourage personal growth and have the best story lines :)

[/quote]I agree. I'm 26 and I read (and own) all 4 Twilight books and I just ordered Sweetblood from Amazon. :) We're technically young adults anyway............ I think. :)

(Sarah_0776) #17

I don't care for the young adult books anymore. But then again, that whole section is basically taken over by fantasy these days, which I hate. There are very few authors in the young adult section that write genres other than fantasy. I started reading from the adult fiction section a few years ago.