Issues with adhesive

(Rachel) #1

So recently I have gotten a the 630g pump and Dexcom G6 and seem to be working just fine. Of course I get the issues that are easily dealt with but now I’m clueless. So a while back my dexcom fell off and I called Dexcom for a replacement and they also sent me the patches.

When I got these patches they worked fine but sadly I get bad rash that looks like a burn or a scar and sometime I bleed when I take it off. For right now I am not using it because I need spots to put my pump. But I am fearful that my dexcom will fall off again. Does any one know of a alternative adhesive I can use? Also does this mean I can’t use silly patches or any other of the decorative patches out there?

(Lori) #2

For my 13-year-old, the Dexcom Overpatch works the best but others have success with GrifGrips, liquid adhesive, or the tape used for IVs. We’ve tried them all! The other “go-to” for us is Nexcare waterproof bandages. We cut a hole just big enough to fit over the G6. Hope you find something that works for you!

Lori

(DENISE) #3

we had the same problem with the Dexcom sensor falling off and now use Skin-Tac, it works great but when removing we use coconut oil or baby oil to remove it, because its stuck so well.

(Dennis J. Dacey, PwD) #4

Hi Rachel @Racheltoner, I use the DexCom G5 sensor and have not had any problems with any falling off - in fact I had a little difficulty getting an edge up to pull a couple off.

My procedure is skin prep ahead of time; keep in mind that some body wash solutions, shampoos, etc. can leave a coating on your skin, and body lotion can cause adhesion difficulty. A few minutes before inserting a new sensor, I use a wet washcloth [water only] and give the new spot a vigorous scrub; when dry I use a “Smith&Nephew I.V. Prep antiseptic wipe” and let that set for a minute or two while I open the sensor package; when my skin is dry I insert the sensor.

I first used the S&W wipes years ago before the Medtronic infusion set adhesion was improved and found they kept the sets on well even when I’d work 10 hour sweaty days as a laborer in the Florida sun. These wipes are available online and at places like Walmart.
Good luck.

(mikefarley) #5

See this Diabetes Strong blog, a review of patches.

(Anita) #6

I purche grif grip patches from Amazon. I have USD them for about 2yrs. Never a rash, burn or bleeding. I live in Vegas & when it gets 110±’ some times the start to peel off slowly over days

(Joel) #7

Try giving your skin a little bit of a stretch as you’re laying the sensor patch on your skin. This will help prevent the patch from peeling off when you’re moving/twisting and stretching. Any skin prep you can tolerate is also helpful, but have some kind of adhesive remover available too just in case.

Best wishes