"It's a little sweet for you..." Quotes that piss me off

(ThePancreanator) #1

Ok.  I'm at work right now at this very moment, and I understand that some people like gossip and generally blab on and on about things that are generally not of any significance at all.  I usually deal with it.  I just try to nod my head as our accountant rambles on what seems to be a daily basis.

From office politics, to gossip, to basically anything she can find to discuss, she'll ramble on at me for what seems like endless bits of time.  However today in the midst of her conversation about mandarin Chicken, I hear her say "it's a little sweet for you" so you probably can't have it.  

If there's one thing that pisses me off about having diabetes is 1.  When people treat me differently.  Please allow me to determine what I can and can't have before you rush to judgement.  and 2.  Nothing bothers me more than when people who have little to no knowledge about diabetes attempt to discuss it as if they do.  

My parents were like this in the beginning but they've gotten a lot better.  I still have some family members that still don't understand that babying me or treating me differently is the last thing I want, and then to the people that just like to add their input into a discussion and yet know NOTHING, ah this just especially irks me.

Sorry for my rant for the day, as I basically know no other Type 1's, and have very few truly understanding people in my life, I'm guessing you guys are the best to rant to of anyone!

(golfpapabravo06) #2

[quote user="Matt Johnson"]

If there's one thing that pisses me off about having diabetes is 1.  When people treat me differently.  Please allow me to determine what I can and can't have before you rush to judgement.  and 2.  Nothing bothers me more than when people who have little to no knowledge about diabetes attempt to discuss it as if they do.

[/quote]

...its the d*** pink lady from the banner at the top again! I want to edit that flash animation so that the lady in pink swats at the diabetic's hand and then the diabetic turns around and picks up a chair and hits the lady in pink in the faceeeeeeeeeeeeee

Where are you from Matt?

(meme) #3

I agree,.......and damn,we get to cuss here ?  good deal

(golfpapabravo06) #4

passion is hard to suppress ...but is that better?

(ThePancreanator) #5

Haha, I'm glad you guys are glad that we get to cuss, and maybe I should just try that approach.  The next time she bothers me I should just hit her in the face with my chair and she how my boss reacts.  I could start with something less dramatic, such as throwing a stapler or phone at her to see if she could just take the hint from that.  Of course this is all jest.  Violence isn't ALWAYS the answer and I don't particulary like the sound of "unemployed."  So for now I'll keep it in my head!

I'm in North Carolina btw. 

(golfpapabravo06) #6

Haha, I'm glad you guys are glad that we get to cuss, and maybe I should just try that approach.  The next time she bothers me I should just hit her in the face with my chair and she how my boss reacts.  I could start with something less dramatic, such as throwing a stapler or phone at her to see if she could just take the hint from that.  Of course this is all jest.  Violence isn't ALWAYS the answer and I don't particulary like the sound of "unemployed."  So for now I'll keep it in my head!

[/quote]

At least you have a sense of humor, I find that my diabetes nightmare has made me a better comedic writer.

You could be passive aggressive like Jim from The Office, calculator or stapler in jello?

(Woo Its Pat) #7

[quote user="Greg Borkman"]

[/quote]

At least you have a sense of humor, I find that my diabetes nightmare has made me a better comedic writer.

You could be passive aggressive like Jim from The Office, calculator or stapler in jello?

[/quote]

I like cynicism...I suppose that's passive agressive though. People stop asking questions when they get met with that, so I can find my peace.

The quote that pisses me off most is, "Are you going to give yourself sugar now?" when I'm trying to bolus. - Yes, dumbass. I'm going to give myself sugar....really wish people would just shut up about sh!t they don't know anything about (refer to post yesterday that had the same resonance).

/rant over :)

(ThePancreanator) #8

[quote user="Pat"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I like cynicism...I suppose that's passive agressive though. People stop asking questions when they get met with that, so I can find my peace.

The quote that pisses me off most is, "Are you going to give yourself sugar now?" when I'm trying to bolus. - Yes, dumbass. I'm going to give myself sugar....really wish people would just shut up about sh!t they don't know anything about (refer to post yesterday that had the same resonance).

/rant over :)

[/quote]

Man that's pretty funny.  Fortunately I've never had anyone ask me if I was going to give myself sugar now.  I'm still trying not to crack up at my desk right now.  That sounds like something George Bush would have said! Sorry, not trying to get political.  But that is funny.  I don't know if I would feel sorry for the person's ignorance or smack them in the face.  Could just tell ther person it was just a reaction of my body when I 'give it sugar.' hahaha sorry still laughing!

(Doug D) #9

HA! Yeah all those quotes bother the hell out of me too.  I have a guy next to me who eats out every single day and he was eating chinese a couple weeks ago - granted I do steer clear of it usually b/c of the sugar content in many of the dishes but he says "you can't have this because you have too much insulin right?"  I tried not to laugh and decided to mess with him - told him yes, I have too much insulin and he should watch it because you can get diabetes from chinese food.  That's how I got it.  He bought it hook line and sinker.  After a couple of weeks, I told him the truth but it was damn fun while it lasted!  He did have a good laugh at it too.

(golfpapabravo06) #10

[quote user="Doug D"]

HA! Yeah all those quotes bother the hell out of me too.  I have a guy next to me who eats out every single day and he was eating chinese a couple weeks ago - granted I do steer clear of it usually b/c of the sugar content in many of the dishes but he says "you can't have this because you have too much insulin right?"  I tried not to laugh and decided to mess with him - told him yes, I have too much insulin and he should watch it because you can get diabetes from chinese food.  That's how I got it.  He bought it hook line and sinker.  After a couple of weeks, I told him the truth but it was damn fun while it lasted!  He did have a good laugh at it too.

[/quote]

I was eating thanksgiving dinner a few years ago and we had company over and the family who were our guests had kids the same age as my younger brother (4 years younger). We were eating at the table I was sitting next to one of my younger brothers friends and he goes, "i don't have a knife mrs. borkman" and i hadn't used mine so I offered it to him and he declines saying, "no thanks i don't want to catch diabetes....i was angry and laughing at the same time it was great.

(ThePancreanator) #11

I like messing with people like that too.  Have you ever had anyone think it was possible to "catch" diabetes from you?  Those are the real stupid ones.   I guess that's truly like the woman in the banner.  I think I've heard that a time or two but I'm not sure if it was in joking or not.  There are a LOT of people that don't understand the whole insulin and blood sugar relationship thing.  I try not to comment on things which I have no knowledge, and sometimes I wish other people considered that line of thought as well.

(meme) #12

I like this post so much!! You get to say damn,and Doug I almost fell off my chair laughing at what you said!!! And best of all you get to vent, I had a mom who said to me ---I told my daughter she had better stop eating all those sweets and drinking all those cokes or she will get diabetes,OH NOT TO SAY THAT YOUR DAUGHTER GOT IT THAT WAY!!! my cuss words for that can't be printed here!!!! HA HA

(Monique H) #13

Ha!  My hubby just the other day got irritated with his mother for trying to push "sugar free" everything on our newly diagnosed T1 son.  The really irony is, SHE is T2 diabetic, but insists on remaining as uninformed as possible about diabetes (still in denial, I think).  When I gave her our extra copy of "A First Book for Understanding Diabetes", you know, just so she'll have a better understanding of her grandson's condition, she looked at it like it was going to bite her.  I told her our son's ped endo wanted "grandparents and other caregivers" to have a copy, and I think that's the only reason she took it (with the express understanding that she was not expected to actually READ it).  Argh!  Patience...Give me patience.

So, what do I do?  I focus on the fabulous people in our lives who truly seek to understand and support us as a family.  We are sooooo lucky to have a great support network already in place.  Two of the moms in our local homeschool group suggested having a "special kids' care and feeding" class to get each mom up-to-speed on each of our kids' special dietary needs (including extreme dairy allergy), so we all have someone to leave our kids with in case of emergency (such as my husband getting bitten by a copper head snake 3 weeks after our son's diagnosis...thank goodness for our neighbor/friend who is a nurse!).  Go where the support is.  Focus time and attention on those who are on the same page.  Maybe, gently, offer education to those who don't get it yet.  If there's one thing I've learned as a non-traditional, non-religious homeschooling mom living in the Bible Belt, you can always find support if you look in the right place and stay open to it. 

In the mean time, rant away.  We're all here for you :)

Mo

(puns_and_roses) #14

[/quote]

I suggest this. The jello prank actually works :)

(Woo Its Pat) #15

I like messing with people like that too.  Have you ever had anyone think it was possible to "catch" diabetes from you?  Those are the real stupid ones.   I guess that's truly like the woman in the banner.  I think I've heard that a time or two but I'm not sure if it was in joking or not.  There are a LOT of people that don't understand the whole insulin and blood sugar relationship thing.  I try not to comment on things which I have no knowledge, and sometimes I wish other people considered that line of thought as well.

[/quote]

I've joked with people about that...the whole "catching diabetes." I did have one friend who was like, "OMG REALLY!?" But for the most part people understand that I'm joking about it. I'll joke with a girl I'm dating (usually after a first kiss) and say something to the like of, "you know you can get diabetes from kissing someone?" You end up with some pretty priceless facial reactions...or bruises, but nonetheless it's one of those you have to be there kind of things.

(kneazle_lady) #16

Copperhead? Indigenous species, I think...Bible belt? In the buckle...you wouldn't happen to live in upstate South Carolina, Monique H.?

I really love it when people have suggested (yes, plural) that type 1 is a result of my inability to have "true" faith that results in cures for everything.

I have a friend who liked to tell me that I couldn't have this, that, etc. because it had sugar...then I had a monstrous insulin reaction in their car. Soon after the insulin reaction initiation, I came over to their house and saw, on the shelf, a large, hulking jug of Gatorade. They don't drink it.

(kneazle_lady) #17

There were a couple of type 2's in the office the other day who were bemoaning having A1C levels near six. I wanted to make some sort of loud derisive noise, but decided against it. They're nice, but woefully misinformed. And the problem is that I really don't want to hurt a type 2's feelings, but it gets on my nerves to hear a type 2 try to commiserate about how hard life is with "diabetes," and it is nigh unto intolerable when that type 2 starts talking about food, diet, weight. I approach the whole chair in the face; it plays silently in my mind. Thank goodness for this site.

(jenniferpritchard) #18

[/quote]

I usually turn the scarcsm on when dealing with the uneducated.. my own way of coping!

I did once have a guy that I was "talking to" lean in to kiss me and then go back and say, "wait I can't catch diabetes from kissing you right?"

I suddenly had to be somewhere else. That was the last time we went out!!

I should give him some slack, it was YEARS ago so we were pretty young!

(dbishop) #19

I know exactly what you mean ...AMEN... I work at a pharmacy and people still say the same thing...and I m like are you kinding me.

(meme) #20

Hi Everyone,The otherday when my daughter had alot of frtends over,one went into her things and saw her d stuff,then said hey,I didn't know you were diabetic,a few days go by and he sees her at the store and says,Hey,foumd the perfect book for you,diabetes for dummies. May have the title off. Nothing wrong with the book,I would buy it.It just baffles me that no thought is used before saying such things. Here again is a good person saying this. My daughter told him what he said was hurtful to her,he was not quick to back off.She stood her ground till he did.