Lack of Effort to Spread Awareness?

(Anonymous) #1

This very well could just be me, as I am fairly prone to overlooking details (within reason). However, I checked out a pile of books about juvenile diabetes the other day (figured it was time I started building a more serious understanding of what it was I did every day) and happened across a list of diabetics.

Am I the only one that didn't know Thomas Edison had juvenile diabetes?!?!

In all the years I've studied him, all the projects and class units about him, not once did they mention this. Not even when we looked at his background, brief (really brief, apparently) biographies, etc.

I still find it kind of hard to believe that awareness about type 1 diabetes seems so overlooked… or at least isn’t specifically taught! Lack of effort to spread awareness? You'd think they'd at least touch on the topic when he's studied!

(bsum) #2

Don't worry you're not the only one lol I had no idea Edison was a diabetic!  I've done several reports and biographies on him in the past and not once did I come across anything saying he had diabetes.  Maybe I wasn't looking deep enough into his life, but I'm pretty sure I've read several books about him and still never heard anything. 

I do agree though about the lack of awareness, especially with someone as famous as Edison.  I'm sure it had a big impact on his life, as it has on all of our lives, so you would think they'd mention something about it.  I guess spreading awareness hasn't really been that "popular" until recently, with so many new people being diagnosed daily.  At least more people are becoming educated and are aware of the situation now, but it would've been nice if things kicked off a bit sooner.

(type1at18) #3

I agree that there is a lack of awareness for diabetes

if you read this... http://www.dlife.com/dLife/do/ShowContent/inspiration_expert_advice/famous_people/edison.html

Thomas Edison had type 2 diabetes. However, I think in his day and age... there wasn't much research which would be why there is contradicting information

(Anonymous) #4

[quote user="Melissa"]

I agree that there is a lack of awareness for diabetes

if you read this... http://www.dlife.com/dLife/do/ShowContent/inspiration_expert_advice/famous_people/edison.html

Thomas Edison had type 2 diabetes. However, I think in his day and age... there wasn't much research which would be why there is contradicting information

[/quote]

Are you sure Melissa? I will look again, but he was listed as a type 1 diabetic in the book. I guess I'll check again??
If so, it is only more apparent how utterley confused the world is if they would print a book with the wrong information in it.

(whatruhere4) #5

here's the thing, those are from secondary informatives. we wouldn't know other wise because we weren't around when he was alive.

(Anonymous) #6

In which case, Melissa, I think you may be correct. At least, Google think so. If he really was type 1 or type 2? I guess we won't know. But in any case, here's an interesting quote by Thomas Edison that I came across in my search that I found interesting:

“The doctor of the future will give no medicine but interest himself in the care of the human frame, diet and the cause and prevention of disease.” -Thomas Edison

The point of this? Haven't a clue, but it's an interesting perspective nontheless.

Anyway, while we're on the topic of who was type 1 and type 2, another person I came across with diabetes (it was unlisted on the web sites I found which type he was -- some of you may know?) was Earnest Hemingway. I didn't know that one either ;)

(whatruhere4) #7

i think i heard about that.

(stilledlife) #8

Haha sorry, but you picked up a book about juvenile diabetes and got lied to.

Definatly not type 1. Lets look at the facts

He was born February 11, 1847  and died October 18, 1931 at the age of 84.

On January 11, 1922, Leonard Thompson (a kid on his death bed) was the 1st person to be administered insulin.

Thomas Edison was 75 (?)

Verdict Thomas Edison- type 2.

Verdict #2.... burn the book.

(stilledlife) #9

P.S.

He sure lived for a well long time with diabetes.... even for a type 2er