Lantus = tumors?

(sarahslp) #1

A friend emailed a study today that was preliminary, but suggested that Lantus *might* increase your risk of tumors. Rational me knows this is a preliminary study, but irrational me is thinking, "AHHHH! I have cancer! Must call the endo tomorrow and get off Lantus." lol.

Anyone else thinking of trying to change insulin because of this study or am I being ridiculous? Also, I've been told there's another long acting insulin out there like Lantus, but does anyone know what it's called and if it works the same?

(Doug D) #2

I Sarah -  I posted the info yesterday - here's the link to it. http://juvenation.org/forums/t/2431.aspx    The FDA seems to be casting doubt on the issue but if you are worried about it, definitely call your endo and get his/her advice.  Just keep taking it until then.  :)

(Anonymous) #3

I brought that to my parents (I admit I didn't read it... I usually just forward those kinds of things on to them haha), and they said I'm not an old male with other medical complications. Darn. But so I guess, apparentley, I'm all good.

(sarahslp) #4

Sorry I missed your post!

(Doug D) #5

No, don't be - I was a little worried about doing it b/c I didn't want people panic - the link was just an easy way of showing the info again plus it was way down in the forum page. :)  Good luck.

(sarahslp) #6

I read your first post. I like how the FDA thinks we are idiots... As if we would just stop taking our Lantus w/o something else to take!

Sorry, but I still feel nervous. I think it's just human nature. (:

(sarahslp) #7

Good point about not having people panic. I guess I always assume I'm panicking the most and everyone else will calm me down. lol.

(DDrumminMan) #8

I sent a mailnote to endo yesterday along with some other questions.  He didn't respond to that part.  I plan to send him another note to see what he knows.  I did have a deal earlier this year where I had some spots on my toungue.  Had a biopsy and it isn't cancerous but no one seems to know what it is.  Maybe this?  It's got me thinking ...

(sarahslp) #9

I'm glad you're ok! How scary.

You'll have to let us know what your endo says. My next appt isn't until Aug.