Leg cramps?

(music_lover) #1

okay so ever since i have been diagnosed ive been getting really bad leg cramps, i had thought they were from marching band because thts when i would get them was when after games; but now that games are over im still getting them. does anyone else get these? does it have something to do with diabetes? 

(system) #2

[quote user="Allie =)"]

okay so ever since i have been diagnosed ive been getting really bad leg cramps, i had thought they were from marching band because thts when i would get them was when after games; but now that games are over im still getting them. does anyone else get these? does it have something to do with diabetes? 

[/quote]

Maybe, not sure just know my Dad had that problem and vitamin E helped. Better blood flow!

(ralfe1315) #3

Allie,

I'm no doctor (but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express), but my guess is you are dehydrated. A lot of sports related leg cramps occur because people don't drink enough water. If you think you are drinking a lot of water, and you are still getting leg cramps, it could be a number of other things. Maybe, you just need to warm up your legs, too (massages help this a lot).

Good luck and see a doctor if you've become very concerned about it. You know your body the best and know the warning signs when something isn't right.

Enjoy your stay, Rick

(thebeatles909) #4

it may be neuropthy. it hurts sometimes but not all the time. i have it its annoying :/ it can be brought on by diabetes

(CHLjoe) #5

It could be related to your physical activity or diabetes or both.  Whenever you are involved in physical activity over a period of time you need to replenish your fluid and electrolyte levels.  Plenty of water helps but only solves part of the problem.  If you are concerned that it could be diabetes related, speak with your doctor and let them know everything you do and what sensations you have so that they have a full palette to properly diagnose.  Stretching can alleviate cramping if it is activity related as well.

(ajax) #6

Allie - how recently were you diagnosed?

In the two weeks or so before I was diagnosed, I was getting Horrendous calf cramps seconds after i woke up, every time i woke up (which was a lot, since i was napping several times a day). I got on insulin in the ER, and spent the night hooked up to saline in the hospital, and haven't had calf cramping except from running since then. 

I've heard other stories of leg cramps in uncontrolled BG, too. For me, I strongly believe that it had to do with the combination of high blood sugars/ dehydration and flushing my system of electrolytes because i was drinking so much water because i was so thirsty. If you're still newly diagnosed and trying to get your numbers down, there is a strong likelihood that improving your BG will improve the leg cramps. 

(eva330) #7

i used to get leg cramps and also foot cramps .. I thought it was diabetes especially the foot cramps.. I asked a docter they said the same thing, dehydration.. your foot and calf are the first thing to cramp when your body starts to dehydrate... I drink water now all the time and havent had one in like a year.. I have also heard its a lack of potassium

(MCurran) #8

I got them when i was a kid. Its probably because you're dehydrated or you have a vit D or iron defienciy. I just got diagnosed with moderate anemia during my last checkup so it might be that too. Do you take a multi vitamin? That will help. And try to drink lots of water. and I know potassium is good for leg cramps too so eat lots of bananas! Trust me I know how painful they are!

(ScrappyDy) #9

[quote user="Evamarie"]

i used to get leg cramps and also foot cramps .. I thought it was diabetes especially the foot cramps.. I asked a docter they said the same thing, dehydration.. your foot and calf are the first thing to cramp when your body starts to dehydrate... I drink water now all the time and havent had one in like a year.. I have also heard its a lack of potassium

[/quote]

This was true for me as well.  I used to get them a lot when playing soccer after I was first diagnosed w/T1.  My dad, who's a doc as well, said it was due to dehydration and lack of potassium.  I actually had to take 900mg potassium pills (and there's a horse pill if you ever saw one!) because I had lacked so much potassium.  Now I eat bananas regularly and drink less diet soda and drink more water or diet iced tea instead.  I haven't gotten those leg cramps in a very LONG time.

(music_lover) #10

it has been a year now that i have had diabetes, and when i get them at night the next morning i always ask my mom how my bg was and she always says fine, usually ninety something. 

so maybe it could be vitamin or neuropthy?

and i try and drink as much water as possible my doctor always tells me its dehydration but water never really seems to help.

and yess they do hurt horribly!!!!

(nbrown9509) #11

I used to get them and they hurt so bad they would wake me up.

I was told to stretch my legs really well, as if I were about to go on a run. I don't get them very often anymore, but like everybody else has said... drink water, take vitamins, ect. I  guess we can never be to cautious! =]

(Adriana) #12

I have the same problem!! Some nights the cramps get so bad I wake up multiple times and my leg goes completely numb to an extent that I can’t even stand up.

(Dennis J. Dacey, PwD) #13

Keep in mind @adrianapittaluga, @nbrown9509, @music_lover that diabetes does not have an “exclusive hold” on leg cramps. Dehydration is very often an underlying cause of severe leg cramp - yes, diabetes can, when management isn’t right-on, be a cause for your dehydration.
As an example, when at a football game on a hot afternoon, try counting the number of “fit” athletes who stager off the field to attend to cramping legs - very few of those players with cramping legs have diabetes.