I was on Levemir until March 2010. Then my endo switched me to Lantus, which I was very leery of because of the whole tumor thing a few months back. The levemir wasn't lasting nearly long enough for me I'd take it at bedtime and by dinner the next day it had worn off. I actually needed to take 2 injections per day (in my opinion). However my doctor didn't agree for some reason. The Lantus seems to last longer for me and I've got a little bit better numbers than before. We'll see if it has helped my A1C next time I go my endo.
As for the stinging part that Greg mentioned, I have stinging with BOTH of them and my humalog too. I just can't be free of the burning sensation with any of my insulins, so I just deal with it ; ) I've tried not refridgerating my insulin, injecting slower, rotating sites and NOTHING works for me.
Hope this helps.
that's weird your endo didnt agree to put you on two doses. i take two doses of lantus, because one dose didn't work. my endo said 2% of diabetics he's worked with have been able to manage with one dose, the other 98% of us have needed two.