Living in the Heat!

(WWQAndy) #1

I live in Southern California where it was OVER 100 degrees yesterday!!  I forgot just how much the heat affects my diabetes!  Between the hot temperatures and drinking enough water to stay hydrated it was a day of 50s and 60s as far as BG goes.  I have adjusted my insulin injection for today so all should be fine...anyone else have similar trouble with the heat?

(ndstephanie) #2

I live in Washington, DC, and it's very hot in the summer.  However, I find that my blood sugars rise when it's really hot!!

(SarahSmile) #3

I live in Virginia, and it gets pretty humid and hot in the summer, but that just seems to make me run higher, like Stephanie said, rather than low-- I find that cold weather is what causes some of my lows :)

(system) #4

I am in awe of those of you who live in warm areas! I can't handle it when it gets over 23 C in my town! My levels go out of wack with the slightest change in heat. It makes me worried when I take trips in the summer, since I end up spending most of the trip high due to stress and heat! It's easier to control when I'm in my city, and it doesn't get too warm here..but I still find the days where the tempature is above 15 my levels alost instinictly go high.

(Woo Its Pat) #5

i didn't know that one's blood sugar could be affected by the temperature...i've found that i get low when i'm outside a lot during the summer but i always attributed that to the rugby tournaments etc...

will be sure to ask my doctor what he knows of this

(hcole) #6

I'm with Batts on living in the moderate temperatures of Western Canada haha.  My blood sugar drops when I go in hot tubs/steam rooms/saunas though...

(system) #7

[quote user="Pat"]

i didn't know that one's blood sugar could be affected by the temperature...i've found that i get low when i'm outside a lot during the summer but i always attributed that to the rugby tournaments etc...

will be sure to ask my doctor what he knows of this

[/quote]

From my experience, it has to do with the stress on your body. I found the same thing happened when Vic suddenly went from a mild winter as usual to suddenly getting dumped on with snow and having snowstorm warnings. I spent those two weeks with consent highs(I think I RARELY went below 16mmol but spent most days 20+mmol) and I think it was the stress of the sudden change in weather temperature, as my endo could find no cause for the sudden drastic change in levels.

(zinger1905) #8

My blood sugar definitely goes higher in the heat. I went to diabetes camp one summer, and there was no AC and it was the hottest summer in a long time. My blood sugars were the highest they've ever been (543) and I felt like the "bad" diabetic, when usually my sugars are within range.

(orange_mms) #9

It's funny that this post has popped up today. I wanted to do a similar post to see if this happened to anyone else. I go low when I am in the hot summer sun, humidity and heat. I do not even have to be doing anything, as long as it is hot I go low. It can be very annoying, I have to always carry juice in the summer if I'm going to be outside. Here in Pa where I live temps. really don't get much above 90 usually.

(Marie) #10

im not sure how heat effects my sugar but I can absolutly NOT stand it. Being hot makes me crazy! Like, when im high, my hands dry up and get all hot. Blah! ={. it sucks here cause today its plus 24 and tomorrow its supposed to be +2 and SNOW!!!!!!! (celsius guys, celsius.)

(AllyBG) #11

I live in balmy Baltimore, and the heat/humidity definitely make my BGs run low. 

(DDrumminMan) #12

I lived in Dallas with diabetes for 25 years.  It gets hot as hay-dees there for 5 months out of the year.  I never made the connection of heat to blood sugar.  But then again heat was normal for me.

Now I live in a suburb of Seattle and if I never see the sun or a hot day again it's fine with me!

Don't know, never really thought about it.

(bsum) #13

I usually run a little lower during the summer months, especially those hot and humid 90+ days.  When it gets that hot I have a lot of days of 60 and 70 BG levels.  Once the weather begins to change I have to adjust my insulin amounts to compensate..which I'll probably have to be doing in the next couple of weeks lol