Metformin and T1D

(rebeka) #1

Hi!

I have also been gaining weight. I am 28 years old and have T1D for 16 years. Recently, I started on lexapro which might have contributed to it. But i am gaining so much weight. I am 5’6" and normally weigh 148-150lbs and am now up to 164 in only 4 months. I just started with a new endocronologist and he has started me on metformin. Does anyone have any insight on this? I am scared I have metabolic syndrome but don’t know how I could have acquired this as I eat very healthy and exercise 3-4 times a week. He says I have developed an insulin resistance.

Any insight will help!

Thank you!

(joe) #2

@rebeka hi rebeka,

metformin is typically a “first line” treatment for T2 diabetes, and it’s principle action is to reduce insulin resistance. I don’t use it sorry I can’t give you direct advice.

There are others here that have significant insulin resistance, but Metformin seems like a good choice for insulin resistance and weight gain.

glad to hear you have an endo - a second opinion might be useful.

T1’s can develop T2 - and we are also prone to thyroid problems. My thyroid stopped working a long time ago.

Insulin is a growth hormone and so if you can reduce insulin AND keep your blood sugar well controlled it seems like the best strategy. I am not sure what your daily carbohydrate intake is. cheers and good luck. Please check back in and tell us how you are doing.