Midnight Snacks

(hispreciouspoet) #1

Tonight my bedtime BS was 98 so I ate 1 piece of bread with 1 slice of cheese. At nighttime I have to take 50 un. Lantus.  3 hours later, I woke up and my BS was 89, so I ate 1 slice of cheese and 3 regular saltine crackers.  What can I or should I eat when I've already had my bedtime snack, in order to avoid Sugar Highs in the AM? Just curious, as I am still very new to diabetes.

Thanks,

~Violet

(joe) #2

Violet, this is one of the hardest balancing acts that I can think of.

If I need a fast increase in blood sugar I use juice or glucose tabs.  Since I have a lot of trial-and-error data, I know that 4 grams of glucose or very simple sugar raises my bs 20 points in 15-30 minutes.

If I need a nice, slow absorption and I want it to last a long time, then I use starch, fat and protein snacks.  Starches absorb slowly, fat and protein delays absorption so it makes for a nice slow burn.  However, 4 grams still raises me 20 pts even though I might not see it for hours.

It doesn't matter that you already had your snack if you find yourself hypo, unless the carbs you ate are not absorbed yet and your bs is rising - but if you are below 70  and dropping it's better to treat like a hypo than to gamble your bs will rise in time.

AM blood sugars are very hard to control.  in the morning people tend to be a bit more insulin resistant.  Plus, many of us have a liver release of sugar in the AM, causing a drastic blood sugar rise - even without eating.  There is even a liver release due to a mild overnight hypo (3AM is the witching hour) so sometimes eating a little more at night result in a lower AM blood sugar.  A lot of us test at 3 if we think we're into some weird area like this.  You can look both of these up on the internet, the phenomena are called Dawn Phenomenon  and Somogyi Effect.

(BrianPQuinn) #3

One thing that people have suggested to me in the past is to try and eat an extend bar. http://www.extendbar.com/

They are quite good and they have proof to suggest that with how it is broken down that it will be a good chance to keep sugars stable. I have had a few and I enjoyed them and it seems that they do what they are supposed to do. It is not meant to bring up sugar fast i.e. candy or juice, but instead it is long acting food.

(isk8rgurl412) #4

Violet,

I always eat a 20 gram snack before going to bed if my blood sugar is under 120. This prevents crashes at night and rebounds the next morning. I never eat fruit or fruit juice before bed, but yogurt is a great way to get protein and keep your BG above 100. Other alternatives are graham crackers and peanut butter (if your BG is over 100 usually, as this is a longer lasting carb) or Glucerna bar (which are actually really yummy). There are others and these may not work for you. I hope this helps! :)

(cobbie2) #5

Violet,

If I am kinda low before I go to bed, I drink a glass of milk because it usually keeps my sugar stable longer. I hope this might help! :)

(system) #6

[quote user="Kalin"]

Violet,

If I am kinda low before I go to bed, I drink a glass of milk because it usually keeps my sugar stable longer. I hope this might help! :)

[/quote]

Kalin is right. Milk would be a good thing to drink before bed. The medics told my mom once when my levels wouldn't go up no matter how much sugar we shoveled into my body, that milk is a good stabilizer for levels(finally got my levels up and they told my mom to get me a glass to drink before they left). Since then, I've always had a glass of milk after treating a low(when possible). It's worth giving a shot to see if that will help.

(Nads) #7

[quote user="Violet"]my BS was 89, so I ate 1 slice of cheese and 3 regular saltine crackers.  [/quote]

Hi Violet,

Remember that cheese should not affect your BS since it hase 0 carbs.  Therefore, your snack actually consisted of just 3 crackers.

I would suggest you bring up this question with your CDE or dietician.  They might be able to examine your overall meal plan and suggest something more appropriate for you.