Missing "normal life"

(FFA_RodeoStar) #1

so i'm so lost right now. i really don't remember life when i didn't have diabetes. i was dxd at 10. is that normal?   i just really miss not having to do my blood sugar and not taking insulin. i haven't gotten a dr appt for over 6 months and i can't get my mom to call one in. i've just given up on it i guess

(Anonymous) #2

First things first, I think it's perfectly normal for you to feel this way. I was diagnosed at 11, so not too long after you -- and I often feel the same way. I was too young to remember much in the first place, and even then the months before that were so foggy it's difficult to remember.

Second, (although this is equally as important) your diabetes care is the most important thing even when it's hard to see. Maybe you should sit own with your mom and talk about this, because making your appointments will help your blood sugars be more stable (which I think always seems easier, when you don't have to deal with highs, lows, etc.)

(Anonymous) #3

Don't give up sweetie. I am 29, Dx when I was 9. I promise you everything you are feeling right now is normal. I know it is hard to be young and have so much responsibility on your shoulders. If you need to talk, you can chat with me anytime. Maybe you could try  calling the doctors office and setting up the appointment, and then casually  mention to your mom that you need a ride there. Stay strong sweetie :)

(FFA_RodeoStar) #4

we're trying to get an appointment. well i think we are at least.  the problem is the endo is over 3 hours away.   my mom also knows i really need a pump. most of the things i do would be so much easier with it. i am so busy and i constantly forget to bring insulin. i'm trying to get back on track but i get so discouraged and my mom gets pissed off so then i just quit telling her anything diabetes realted and if i have to i make up blood sugars and insulin ratios.

(golfpapabravo06) #5

chin up :)

I remember the last candy/vacation I had before becoming diabetic. My family was in baltimore for a week and we went to espn zone and the company my dad gets supplies from was sponsoring it and we had espn zone all to ourselves (the company did) and there was a candy table...devoted just to candy, i went crazy with lemon heads it was great.  i wish i could splurge sometimes without counting.  But that's not gonna happen, i need to keep this body healthy.  This kind of careless thinking gets you into trouble, and your health can suffer...trust me ive done it before...letting my a1c slip to the 8s.

So I would make an appointment, even if its just to chat with the professional they tend to make you feel like you can still do this thing.  It's rough that the endo is so far away but i think its worth your time to keep yourself healthy. :)

(FFA_RodeoStar) #6

an 8 is like my goal! my last A1c was 11.3 i think. or something like that. the doctors said a pump would help but they won';t get me one till we go up there

(golfpapabravo06) #7

[quote user="FFA_RodeoStar"]

an 8 is like my goal! my last A1c was 11.3 i think. or something like that. the doctors said a pump would help but they won';t get me one till we go up there

[/quote]

oh dear not good! i think you should plan a trip soon, i was told that the teenage years are the time you can do the worst damage to your body by having high blood sugars.

I'm gonna explain something that may seem obvious but why not, sometimes other people havent heard it before...

Glucose, if you've seen it in it's pure form is like sand or crystals.  If you have too much sugar in your blood the little tiny crystals become over crowded and tend to rub up against each other AND your blood vessel walls scratching them slowly.  These scratches give things such as cholesterol a place to hide in, so even if your cholesterol is good you could still have a sleeper waiting to take you out in one of these small tiny scratches.  The best way to combat those scratches is to get those blood sugars back down to a manageable level.  And the best way I can think of to do that is the pump...which you have to take time to arrange an appointment for in or to get one. 

You're so close to having better numbers and an A1C just don't wait on it.

(FFA_RodeoStar) #8

so how should i go about working with my mom on this? i can't go alone up there and i can't get her to go

(golfpapabravo06) #9

what does mom say about taking you?

Does she need a phone call from the doctor to tell her how important these 3 month check ups are?

(FFA_RodeoStar) #10

she knows how important they are, she's an RN. we just don't have the money or time to go

(golfpapabravo06) #11

ok well thats good she knows how important it is...i wish i could help with the money part :( but as for time i think you should make time for it...it is summer and people have more time for these trips in the summer for sure.

(FFA_RodeoStar) #12

ya except for rodeo families. all week i'm either working or working horses and on weekends i'm always at a rodeo. and they're making my mom work so much overtime right now it won't be till at least august when we can get in.

(paulg765) #13

Hi there,

Take a few deep breaths and remember that this is a process.  Like any other process you have to take it "one step at a time."  You've already taken a few of the most difficult steps.  First of all, you've identified and acknoledged that you have problem.  (Perhaps sometime in the past when you had had an A1c of 11.3 you didn't even know you had a problem.)  Secondly, you decided that you were going to come up with a plan and take action.  That's a huge step.  Thirdly, you commited not only to yourself but to all of us who have read your message and care about you, that you plan to take action.  And believe me, we Juvenation guys (and gals)... we're going to hold you to it!  So, just look where you are?

Improving your diabetes control... all or our diabetes control..., is also a process.  With insulin treatment, diet, exercise and everything else it is a challenging process you work on every day..., BUT NOT ALL DAY.  For the rest of the day, which is most of the day, you lead a "normal" life.  I know you know this because you've been quite successful in your rodeo events, yes?  Diabetes is especially difficult for young "athletes" like yourself.., and you, like all the young Type 1 athletes, are courageous and inspiring.  Think of managing your diabetes like training for a rodeo event... step-by-step, trial-and-error until you get it right.

I was thinking, and it may be too late for this this year, have you considered going to a diabetes camp for a couple of weeks.  My 26-year-old son, Max, who was diagnosed with Type 1 at the age of 5, went to one of the camps run by the Joslin Clinic in Boston for a few weeks one summer.  I believe he got a lot out of it just be being away from us, his parents, for a short time.  It's like any other "normal" camp where you swim and play sports, but you are also in the company of diabetes professionals and older campers whose job and passion it is to help you cope.

Do you own a horse?  (My wife and I own two with a third on the way.  You know it takes 11 months!)  Go talk to your horse and give him a hug.  They know a lot about life... just ask him anything you'd like to know.  I'd love to see some photos of you riding!

Paul

(FFA_RodeoStar) #14

the only diabetes camp near here is already over.  i wanted to go but it was right during my rodeo camp. and ya i have 4 horses. one is a pasture horse, two are my rodeo horses, and the other one is the 3 year old that i'm training. I'll try to add some pictures of them sometime :)