Mom Feeling Defeated and Fustrated

(Nancy) #21

I have had T1 diabetes for 56 years but I clearly remember going through puberty and how hard it was even though i was very attentive to control. Blood sugars would jump aroud regardless. I was going to suggest what Bill did. See if you can find a camp for diabetics. I went to one starting in puberty and came back summer after summer until i was a counselor. It was eye opening for me because i had never known any other kids with T1. All of a sudden I was surrounded by kids just like me. It really helped me to get my head screwed on right. Don’t know what state you are in but I know in MA was ione for boys JOSLIN CAMP which is runned by the reknowned Joslin Diabetes Clinic. Your son’s Endocrinologist probably can recommend one for you. Good luck, puberty is tough for your son and you. You both will get through it.

(pamcklein) #22

Hi Lisa,

I was diagnosed at age 2 1/2 and am now in my 50’s. When I became a teenager I rebelled. Thankfully, a friend who also has diabetes recommended an excellent endocrine to me. This doc changed my life for the better.

This doc simply told me the choice was mine. He pointed out that he, and my parents, could not be there 24 hours a day to monitor me, or remind me to check my BG or take my insulin. I could let my blood sugars run high and end up with complications down the road, or I could take control of my BG’s now and live a long, healthy life. I had to make the choice, no one else could make it for me. I chose the latter and am now complication free after 53 1/2 years with diabetes!

I, like others on this site, also went to a camp for kids with diabetes. Camp really is a wonderful experience. The American Diabetes Association runs several of them throughout the country, so I would check with your local ADA office to find out where the nearest camp is to you. At camp your son will meet other kids with diabetes - - a real gift if he is feeling like he’s the only one - - and will also receive counseling along with enjoying the usual camp activities. All of this, while being supervised throughout the day by trained adults, many of whom have diabetes themselves. It really is a great experience and I have yet to find anyone who has attended a camp who does not feel the same way. I strongly recommend you look into it.

If you need to talk to someone to vent your frustrations, or if you have any questions, please contact me. I’ll send you my contact information in a private message.

Pam K.
T1D 53+ yrs and counting!

(Richard) #23

I made it through 55 years of living with diabetes. I was much like your son when young. This was before Continuous Glucose Monitoring. I ate what I wanted to, and even drank sugared sodas. Many younger diabetics think thy can’t be hurt by living the way they want, but that’s incorrect. It sounds to me that you, your son, and his father need to find some family counseling guidance. The primary customer for counseling is your son; but he needs to see that mom and dad are concerned about him, and want to help him learn appropriate treatment for his diabetes. Ask his endocrinologist to refer you to a psychologist or a psychiatrist to get help so no one feels they are failing your son, and so your son doesn’t fail in treating his diabetes appropriately.