My 10y old T1D diagnosis day 6.. I’m so overwhelmed

(Dani) #1

I’m so glad I knew the signs to look for (T2D in my family) we caught it with just her thirst…but I had no idea she would be admitted that day for evaluation… the 3 day in we were overloaded with emotions and the “whys”… the team of Doctors she has are the bestest … the classes the counselors all the 3am nurse talks … it’s overwhelming but comforting at the same time.

The first night home I felt alone although my whole family was there. But as HER MOM I feel more alone and afraid than ever…I feel as if her life is in my hands alone… did any other parent feel this ???

I can’t shake this fear of the unexpected the what’s next… the rest of her life?:pensive:

(Janice) #2

Hi Dani, I was diagnosed at the age of 9 that was 64 years ago, my mom left and my dad traveled a lot, but my dad got so angry think he was scared, I was taught from day 1 how to take care of myself, back then we cooked our urine for a sugar level, not blood. But because of my training I have made it this far . As a mom you have to rely on what you have been taught until you become familiar enough with diabetes to know how to handle any situation. The basics are, insulin if it is too high and food if it is too low. Mom you will get to the point where you can handle anything and your daughter will learn how to relate how she is feeling to her Blood Sugar level. Try keeping a log- like sluggish- ?bs----Depression ===?bs, etc. you get the picture once you recognize the symptoms you’ll recognize the blood sugar level… Can’t help with the “Whys” but if you need help we are all here for you and your daughter, take it one day at a time , if that is too much, one hour at a time. The only warning I am going to give you , is check her BS during the night if you can. Sometimes our body does a strange thing at night it’s called dawn Phenomena and that means if it has been a long time since you have eaten your liver will dump sugar in your blood , because it thinks you are starving, you are going to want to take insulin, but you need to eat to stop the liver and then you can take insulin but not before you eat. Since your daughter is new at this you may not have to deal with Dawn P… this happens to everyone, but it is just Diabetics that test their blood so we are the ones that know about it. If you need help, just ask. Bye jan

(Dani) #3

Thank you for sharing your story with me…I’ve not heard of the Dawn P… (yet)… thanks for that information… it’s alway comforting to talk to someone who knows the journey… thanks again

(Wendy Spencer) #4

Hi Dani

I remember well that complete fear that filled my headspace when my daughter was discharged from hospital after her diagnosis. She was 11 at the time, and was taught by the hospital staff to do all her own testing and injecting. So, if you want/need to see a bright side to this horrible thing, I suppose I am grateful that Kate was old enough to take charge of her own numbers (as opposed to a toddler) and young enough to want to be compliant and let us guide some of her food decisions.

It is a lonely space to be in as a parent of a person with T1, and I learnt to focus on the important stuff and to sharpen my sense of humour when I found other adults not very understanding or knowledgeable!

Kate is now 15 and for the most part handles her diabetes well. I have found it very useful to connect with other moms to share tea and angsts, and to belong to online groups who share encouragement, knowledge and compassion freely.

Best wishes to you - things get more familiar, if not easier!

(ksmerk12) #5

I am not a parent to a T1 child… However, I am a T1D child of a T1D mother. Please don’t get so overwhelmed thinking about “the rest of her life”. The rest of her life is going to be just fine. Sure, diabetes will always be running in the background–sometimes demanding attention RIGHT NOW, at other times quiet and unnoticeable. My mom has been diabetic for 53 years, and I have been diabetic for 33 years. I grew up just fine. I was a competitive cheerleader, went away to college, got married, and am currently raising the most adorable 3 year old I’ve ever met. There is SO much more to life than diabetes.

I am sure it is overwhelming in the beginning (I was too young to remember my own diagnosis). Unfortunately, only time and experience will ease your mind and make you feel better about all of this. My only suggestion is to get her as involved in her own care as you possibly can. The sooner she can take care of herself, the more freedom she will have.

(Dani) #6

Thank you for sharing your story … I appreciate it. Hearing from others with T1D is comforting and it helps a lot.

(Dani) #7

Thanks for sharing your story… I appreciate it… it helps to hear other journeys and to talk with other in similar situations…thank you.

(Jeremy) #8

My son was diagnosed when he was 6 and now is 10. I remember coming home and feeling so overwhelmed and out of my element. I wasn’t sure if he was going to be considered disabled or what.

They were also experimenting with his dosages and his Lantus was way too high, but we didn’t know at the time. He kept dropping and we were getting no sleep. It was like having a new born all over again.

Every time we’d play, he’d drop within 10mins and I thought I lost my little boy forever.

Fast forward 4 years, the sting and the pain of the diagnosis is still there but not nearly as powerful. He plays, swims, wrestles, and does what he wants. It’s like we’ve always had him like this and life is fine.

And we rarely look up carbs because we basically have it memorized. Then he’s spending the whole week at an ADA camp for T1Ds, Sunday - Friday! The first time he’s ever been without his parents.

So, feel your pain, mourn your loss, and soon enough you will have adjusted to your new normal.

And remember, ALL beginnings are hard and this is just one of those beginnings. Take a deep breath and know everything will be alright. You’re not alone💪🏽

(Dani) #9

Thanks for sharing your story …I appreciate it. It helps to hear this… thanks

(Mary) #10

Hi Dayona. My husband was just diagnosed in July. I too am so overwhelmed. I just want you to know I understand your pain and have the same questions, concerns, etc. I do see that the Type 1 community is so positive and supportive, and for that I am so grateful. I think we just have to get through the first few months/year and develop the routine. Right now it’s A TON of new info, new routines, new fears, etc. It’s just so overwhelming and honestly I’m a mess. But, I’m trying to anchor into communities such as this and lean on the support. Never have I been so grateful for blogs, instagram, etc. - the internet help connect such a small community such as Type 1, and following inspiring people though blogs and instagram pages has been really helpful for me. Sending you lots of love and support - to you, your daughter, and your family. <3

(Dani) #11

Thanks for sharing your story it helps…

(Wendy Spencer) #12

How are things going, Dani? We find it useful to have a food diary book, where we write down time, glucose reading, insulin dosage and what food was eaten. We also use it as a sort of activity diary, so we know when she has had sport, or is having a stressful day, as it all impacts on the glucose readings. We could then track trends, and see how to manage food etc according to activity. I found it a very useful tool in the beginning (and we still do it!)

(Divina) #13

Hi Dani,

My 9-year-old daughter was diagnosed with T1D about a month ago. We have most likely gone through the same experiences you have too. It is very scary, and it is still overwhelming. Although we are managing well at this point, there are times when my daughter gets very emotional and upset, and I do, too.

I, too, feel as if her life is in my hands alone, and I am terrified. I am nervous about doing the right thing. Although, I have been reassured countless times that we will manage well and this will become routine and a part of our lives and that she will be able to do anything she wants. There are many people who live with T1D and are successful and have happy families.

I hope and pray for the best every day. If you ever need to share experiences, ideas, etc., I’d be happy to communicate with you. Sending love and prayers to your daughter, you, and your family.

(Elaine) #14

Dani, I totally feel for you and let me assure you it will get better. My son was diagnosed 3 months ago and I was in mourning for about a month. I still have some bad days but I never let my son see it. Soon it will be a “new normal”

Elaine

(Lindy) #15

Hello :slight_smile: My 10 year old son was diagnosed Aug 20th. I have never seen any of my children so sick. He had ketoacidosis which was picked up quickly after we arrived at urgent care. I am coping on one level but on another level I am so scared, i have not let myself look up any other issues that come with type 1 (connected to kidney etc) but the fear is lurking. Anyway, what i want to say is, i understand and I am in a similar place right now. Sending you a hug.

(Dani) #16

Thanks for sharing … you sound like me… I was so fearing the future… it took over my mind… With help from others including this forum I stepped back from that and took on 1 day at a time… I send you a virtual hug because Ive absolutely been there…

(Dani) #17

Yes… I still have my days… but when I saw my daughter prep her meter and insulin pen (I usually do it) it was amazing but emotional at the same time SHE is stronger than I am… I guess it’s a mom thing… yes it’s still fresh but from talk to others on this form…it will get better… thanks for sharing your story

(lgirlcg) #18

Hi. When my son was diagnosed at 16 years old I thought why too. We got through it. He’s 22 now and I’m so proud of him. He takes care really good care of himself and has a good job, I still worry every single day . It does get better it just takes time to adjust the changes in there life.

(Sarah) #19

My 9 yo was just diagnosed a month and we are really struggling. She is having a very hard time with this new life adjustment and Im looking to see if there is anyone that lives near us that we can connect with. Someone that is her age that can connect with her, so that she knows that she is not alone and that there are others out there going through the samething she is. Her dad is T1D, but thats her dad its just not the same. We live in Fresno, CA and this is all new and Im completly overwhelemed and I hate to see my baby so sad.