My 9-year-old daughter diagnosed almost one month

(Divina) #21

Hi Michelle!

Thank you very much for your advice!! We live on Kauai, actually, and we’ll be flying to Kapiolani for endo visits every 3 months. We had a recent visit about a week ago. They did mention piggy-backing with behavior services. I’ll definitely inquire about CLS. While we were there, she actually won an American Girl doll when they held little carnival games for the children there. That got her interested in American Girl. I will certainly share the resource with her. She’ll be excited. Thank you!

Do you live in Hawaii as well? I will definitely keep in touch with you by email. I appreciate your help, and I definitely feel much better as every day I still feel overwhelmed and heartbroken to see her sad. Thank you very much!

(Divina) #22

Hi Laura,
Where do you order your stickers for your CGM?

(Laura Neyer) #23

Pump peelz. They are awesome!

(Divina) #24

Thank you very much, Laura. I appreciate it! I hope all is well.

(Greg) #25

Divina,

My 9 year son was just diagnosed Monday so we are in the same boat. If you would like for the two of them to talk, I would be ok with that. I have search our small town school district and there are only 2 kids close to his age with T1D. We are on day 4 and I feel your pain, anxiety and frustrations. If you want to talk more, feel free to message me back, I definitely need someone to help ME get adjusted to this new normal as well. =)

Greg-

(Divina) #26

Hi Greg,

Thank you for reaching out. I know how difficult it is especially the first couple of weeks. Everything including routines, etc. will become easier to manage. In our family, we are all still slowly getting adjusted and still learning about everything. My daughter is ok but still has her emotional outbursts from time to time.

Yes! We’d love to keep in touch. Where we are from, there are several children around her age as well with T1D, but we haven’t met with them yet because she is still not ready. However, she said she is willing to talk with your son on Google Hangouts or Skype, etc. if you are interested. That may help her with coping better. Let me know.

Blessings,

Divina

(Greg) #27

that sounds like a plan, we are in small town texas close to Houston. I haven’t used google hangouts but we/he has used skype before. I will mention it to him once he gets home from guitar lessons. Maybe this weekend would be a good time to let them chat and get to know each other. Thanks for the quick reply. Talk soon =)

(Valerie) #28

My son was diagnosed right before his 9th birthday. he is about to turn 13. We found it helped for him to be really open about his diabetes with friends and at school. He gave a presentation on it. organized a fundraiser with his friends and helped train his friends on helping him with lows and to get his meter ready for him etc… We encouraged him to participate in all his old activities. The only challenge he had was overnights at friends. it took him over a year to be comfortable staying without us. I picked him up many nights at bed time as he was scared he’d have a complication during the night. My son skis competitively, plays football, soccer, basketball and baseball. I think it would definitely help your daughter to meet other kids who are dealing with the same issues. The camp would be great for her. Hopefully she’ll agree to go.

(Divina) #29

Thank you so much for sharing. I am looking into a camp coming up next month for my daughter. I am glad that your son agreed to continue his activities and was open with everyone about his T1D as well as teaching them about it. That’s awesome!

That’s my challenge with my daughter. She has only told two close friends and declined attending two of her other friends’ birthday parties as she is uncomfortable about being “different” and not being able to be “normal” like everyone else. No matter what we say or encourage her to do, she will still not want to talk about it.

I will be looking into having her meet others soon and keep encouraging her to return to her activities. She seems to have a mindset that she wants to wait until she is able to use a CGM and insulin pump which is in a month or two. But I feel that she should return to activities soon.

(Divina) #30

This weekend sounds good. We live in Hawaii. One of my daughter’s good friends moved to Texas this past summer. :slight_smile:

How is your son doing emotionally?

Google Hangouts is free if you have a Gmail address. I know that Skype charges now and we have not used it recently. We also can do Facetime on iPhone. If you’d like to email me individually, my address is divinadsp20@gmail.com

Thank you!

(Greg) #31

thanks so much, he is ok emotionally but this morning his hair wasnt right for school pictures and poof, he was one pissed off kid. Pray that I make it through this without him giving me a heart attack or stroke! =)