My D-Card plane pass

(Gina) #1

Ok, on my many plane trips last week, I was running a bit high and you know how that goes right? You have to pee like every minute, every hour etc.. Well, it stinks even more when you are on a plane. Anyway, the line was so long to go to the bathroom in the coach section and I noticed that first class had no line. I literally felt as though I was just about to pee myself. I had to think quick. I grabbed my bag and walked all the way up to the first class section and in a really cute flirty way asked the steward: " Excuse me, may I please use the bathroom up here? He looked at me and was about to say NO (because it was first class) I immediately started to say "I have to change my insulin pump" he says oh sure go on in! OMG! thank you, thank you. I tell him. 

So, I go in there and take a little longer. I check my blood, washed my hands like three times. Brushed my hair. Yea maybe I am giving you TMI but, I needed to kill some time in there. Anyway, I get out and the steward starts talking to me again: "Excuse me, is that subcutaneous?" I am thinking to myself whoa dude, you are speaking my language! I was so excited he was interested he then asked if it checks my blood and gives me insulin automatically etc.. so I pull my pump out and show him all the buttons  and tell him I wear a CGM but, didn't want to wear it on vacation. Blah blah, blah

Then another steward came over and he was interested too! I felt like an all-star. Ok then I started feeling bad about lying to them but, hey they got a speed course in insulin pump therapy so I guess it all evened out in the end LOL

so the lesson is: if you are on a plane in coach with a long line for the bathroom and really have to pee pull out your d-card pass and go straight to first class LOL tell them Gina sent you LOL

(Anonymous) #2

That's hilarious, Gina! Glad that worked out for you! I've used the D-card... pretty much everywhere excluding airplanes. All though I'll keep that in mind.

I remember my pre-diagnosis symptoms driving me crazy on a plane ride once. The stewardesses wouldn't let me get out of my seat, and I had to go to the bathroom like mad! It was terrible!

(stilledlife) #3

There is nothing like having to go pee like when your sugar is high, nothing! Maybe having to go pee after surgury but that is another story.

Some of the coolest people I have ever meet have been flight attendents! I am SO happy to hear about your great experience I'll remember my dpass in the future too!

(h8cldwx) #4

LOL... I have to chuckle at this story.... I am a flight attendant...hahaha.  I have to admit, I too have used my card a few times to get things I needed.  Especially when it came to getting us a better layover hotel so we could be near restaurants...lol.  But hey, I HAVE to eat!..lol (wink wink)

At least they took an interest in your pump.  That's cool.  Just don't use the D-card in the wrong situation... like the time a passenger told me he needed to sit by the window because he was hypoglycemic.  I thought to myself..."If you only knew what I know...lol".

Also, just a friendly reminder... "If the seat belt sign is illuminated, please remain seated until the captain feels it safe for you to be up and about the cabin.  At that time he will turn it off".  When it comes to safety... that's what it's all about...even if you have to pee...really really bad.  LOL... as I say "When you hear the chime of the seat belt sign, it's not a bladder bell"...Fly safe everyone! :)

(Alayna Strickland) #5

Gina,

LOVE the story! As a child...I pulled my "D card" out and got my parents out of a few speeding tickets (:

(BrianPQuinn) #6

Gina are you sure it wasn't cause you got all flirty with the guy and batted your eyes at him that he let you go?? I mean you do admit you flirted with the man! :-p

I have mentioned this before in my last year of High School when I wanted out of school so bad I used the "high/low" pass often to get out of things and just wander the hall going to the nurse or bathroom or what I needed to do. It got to a point where one time I was late for something did not have a pass as I was running down the hallway, ran into the principal and instead of asking for my pass just looked at me asked if I was feeling okay and than he wandered off. Otherwise that would have been a detention.

Man do I miss the random hall wandering.

(Anonymous) #7

Hi all, I have been T1 for 20 years and have no D pass. Where can I get one of these magic cards? I hardly ever leave the house, but just in case I do.

(BrianPQuinn) #8

Well you are holding your pass up in the picture duh!! It is all just imaginary, however if you choose to leave the house be prepared to use it from time to time. It does make things interesting as Gina has pointed out. If she wasn't married I would ask her if she also traded numbers with the flight attendants! :-p

(Anonymous) #9

The year I was diagnosed I used the D card so much to get out of gym class :D

(Anonymous) #10

[quote user="Brian"]

Well you are holding your pass up in the picture duh!! It is all just imaginary, however if you choose to leave the house be prepared to use it from time to time. It does make things interesting as Gina has pointed out. If she wasn't married I would ask her if she also traded numbers with the flight attendants! :-p

[/quote]

LOL! Thanks Brian. That's pretty awesome. It can't get lost in my wallet if it is attached to me :)

(BrianPQuinn) #11

If you can fit it in your wallet that would be one big wallet.

(Anonymous) #12

[quote user="Alyssa"]

The year I was diagnosed I used the D card so much to get out of gym class :D

[/quote]

When I was in school my school district wouldn't let me take gym. They said it was too dangerous. So I guess I used my pass without even knowing it.

(Anonymous) #13

Sad, Happy Vegan!! Now, lol, I love gym :D

(Anonymous) #14

Yes it would be :)

You are a real comedian this morning :)

(Anonymous) #15

:P Don't fuel his ego :) (I'm just kidding)!

(Anonymous) #16

[quote user="Alyssa"]

Sad, Happy Vegan!! Now, lol, I love gym :D

[/quote]

Oh don't be sad...I just never learned how to swim well that's all :)

(BrianPQuinn) #17

My ego and I are fine enough and frankly we don't need any extra fueling. I am just sarcastic which can sometimes pass as comedy. It helps but not always. I do try though.

(Anonymous) #18

Fine then. Stop being funny and I will stop laughing :)

(Anonymous) #19

(Brian's funny??)

(Anonymous) #20

[quote user="Alyssa"]

(Brian's funny??)

[/quote]

Now you're the comedian!