New dexcom and omnipod

(Martha) #1

Question…my 10 year old daughter is getting an omnipod and Dexcom. Do we start them both together it get used to dexcom and then add omnipod?

(Dennis J. Dacey, PWD) #2

Martha @RachelsMom,

My immediate response is to ask you AND your daughter about your ability to learn two different but coordinating technologies - at the same time. If you are not intimidated learning technologies work with them simultaneously. This would be an advantage.
But more importantly, what is the advice and recommendation you received from the prescribing physician?

(joe) #3

@RachelsMom hi Martha,

you could… but do you want to? I agree with @Dennis advice: so If you told me that you have a pump already and are switching to the pod and you have a cgm and were switching to Dex then the plain is answer is “of course you can”!

if you are brand new to both… my advice would be to start one at a time… maybe even the CGM first… only because it can take 6 months to get on a pump correctly and ensure your basal rates are as good as they can get.

the CGM is only tricky around calibrations. once you get used to wearing it and the calibrations… the CGM is my most preferred way to tune a pump… so if you got the CGM online first, it could very much help in setting up the pump in a very good way.

cheers and good luck.

(brod) #4

I don’t see any problem learning both systems. In some ways it will save you a few steps.

Am I the only Dexcom user with fiat little fingers that have trouble with stupid buttons and getting them pressed accurately? Come on Dexcom, separate those buttons into individual ones!!!
Dennis

(kayla-rebew) #5

@joe you made some excellent points! I agree with his response Martha, in relation to using the dexcom for adjusting the pump. I started using my Dexcom in August 2017. I also started using the Omnipod December 2017. I’m still currently making pump adjustments with basal rates. I can’t imagine how difficult it would be to make these adjustments without the dexcom. I personally took the route of starting the dexcom before the Omnipod and I’m glad that I did that. It took me about a month before I felt fully comfortable with my dexcom system. It helped me to keep track of changes for my numbers throughout the day with the new pump system once I got started. It also helped my endo an incredible amount! Just a quick email with my dexcom results and we are able to chat about what change to make next, while also following it closely.

I haven’t been on the pump very long, but I’m very familiar with the dexcom system. If you’d like to chat or ask questions about my experience for the past month on how I got started, then I’d love to share. Feel free to send me a message if you’d like to talk!

(Jared) #6

Provided your daughter is okay with doing both, I would recommend starting them both together, with some things to take note of.

___> Your emphasis would be with the omnipod <—

Until you are comfortable with the Dexcom, you will likely not wish to trust it’s readings. There are also various tricks to getting a better reading, and if you aren’t wanting to shell out the $$$ for sensors, there are also various methods of extending their life with absolutely no risk to your daughter or it’s accuracy.
^^^ With that being said ^^^^
What it does require is experience, and the dexcom can take a good month or two before you feel comfortable trusting it. If you start reusing sensors, the same thing applies, testing when it’s right, when it’s wrong, and when it;s somewhere in between. At the moment, I get about 4-7weeks out of each of my sensor, and my changing it “early” is mostly because I decide to switch arms for where I’m placing my omnipod (I wear both on my arms). I know that the first 30 hours of a fresh sensor is…a bit off usually, and runs ±40mg/dl, but after that it’s spot on. After it’s been in a good 6days, There are times where I havent calibrated it for almost 48hours and it’s maintained its accuracy (not that I recommend this for normal use, but I was intentionally seeing if it would begin to get inaccurate).
All of that wall of text being said, the dexcom is place and forget, there isnt really a learning curve required, but there is an EXPERIENCE curve needed. Getting that started as soon as possible means that both you and her will get that peace of mind more quickly as well.

If you aren’t aware of some of the above^ and would like elaborations, I’d be happy to do so, but a quick google will probably provide you with more information/video tutorials than text would.

(Jared) #7

Also, does your daughter have a cell phone? I’m curious if you are using the mobile app, or the receiver.
The mobile app is fantastic, so long as it isn’t a phone from the stone age so it doesn’t have a 10 minute battery life, however be advised, you CANNOT silence certain urgent alarms on it. Presumably, this sounds like a good thing, but if she’s in class, doesn’t want attention drawn to herself, perhaps issues with the school, etc. I always found it to be a nuisance.
If she/you do plan on using the mobile app, and wish for it to have the ability to vibrate/silence those alarms, I can provide you with some more information/links to get around this issue as well. (Please god be android, I don’t do apple :stuck_out_tongue: although it would work the same)

(Alan) #8

I would recommend learning Dexcom first, and do a saline trial for a pod or two.
My endo likes me partly because I voluntarily bring my clarity reports at my visits, but moreso it says ‘minimal risk’ of hypo.
Learning cgm first also minimizes the risk of DKA from bad sites as it can be detected within the hour, as opposed to half a day if you’re flying blind.
You’ll need lots of basal segment and ic ratio adjustments when you first start your pump, without cgm you’d have to do a poke every hour or two to make sure your settings are correct, and who wants to get up at 3am?!