Newly Diagnosed 2 Year Old, Anxious Mother

(Amanda) #1

Hi there, my daughter was diagnosed a little over one week ago with T1D. She was having symptoms for a few weeks, and I took her to the doctor more than one time before pushing for them to run tests, which discovered her diabetes. I know that we are still trying to get her insulin dosages correct so her numbers have been running high. Her Lantus has been increased twice and her meal insulin hasn’t yet, but we are thinking that it may be since she’s running high. My anxiety is awful…it’s 24/7. I am worried that her numbers are high, I’m worried they will get too low, I’m worried that I am doing something wrong…I’m worried that I should ONLY give her “free” snacks…

My question is, did it take awhile for the endo to correctly dose your child? Should I really not worry so much about the high numbers on the insulin (200-400 normally) and let the doctors figure it out? I’m SO nervous to trust being that I was blown off by our pediatrician when I suspected diabetes.

Thank you all so much for your support :slight_smile:

(joe) #2

@amandapaga hi Amanda,

yes it takes a long time to figure out insulin, and with your little girls growing, there are factors that can increase her insulin needs as well as decrease them.

insulin isn’t like you take a pill every day and things are “level”. Insulin needs change hourly. and are mostly dependent on intake (carbs in) and exercise. I have had diabetes for almost 40 years and I have highs and lows every day.

This is one of the diseases where you have to be the primary physician. In my experience, the decisions are hourly and you can’t depend on a doctor to be able to call you back in 15 minutes on a Sunday.

It will take you about a year to be an insulin expert, and since your daughter is growing… to be able to tell when to increase or decrease insulin. Once you learn how to use insulin, there isn’t anything your daughter can’t eat. This includes cake and treats. It’ll be a long learning process, but you can do it.

If you have access to a CDE (Certified diabetes educator) I urge you to use one. They can be much more supportive and available during the first year than a doctor can. If you like to read please consider getting the book “Think Like a Pancreas”

lows are more dangerous than highs,… but they are also pretty easy to fix. The sugar in cake icing in a tube can be absorbed even if she doesn’t swallow it. even so there are glucagon kits that can be helpful in case of emergencies.

they generally want you to be about 180 when you have a little one, so it sounds about right. Normal blood sugar is 69-99 mg/dl but it is too dangerous of a target for your daughter right now, and honestly it’s too tiny a target for people with t1d.

There is a lot to learn you will get there.

(Dennis J. Dacey, PWD) #3

Hi Amanda @amandapaga,
I totally endorse what @joe has told you and emphasise that a person with diabetes must truly be her/his primary care physician but in your daughter’s case you will need to fill that role at the beginning. Yes, you should be really observant but not overbearing - yes, let her be a kid - -----.
Personally I’d much rather see her glucose readings a little bit “high” than to see her [and you especially] trying to arouse her from a hypoglycemic [low blood sugar] event. Right now, with 60+ years living with diabetes I aim to keep my BG readings at 100 mg/dl or higher.

My best wishes for your daughter, and for you - there isn’t anything in life that your daughter can not achieve “just because” she has diabetes.

(Gabriela) #4

Hi Amanda,

I was diagnosed at 2 and a half so I empathize with you from my parents’ experience. I have had hospitalization for both highs and lows when not controlled, but for the most time within 200-400 one will generally be OK…obviously that’s not the goal but especially 200 is totally acceptable in my personal experience and opinion (including anxiety). I agree with everything above, and I would just add to keep checking as often as needed or possible. In my experience the times that were most dangerous were only when I was going down so fast that it was not controllable when I/we realized it was low. I know it’s really challenging but checking more often especially after short acting insulin will hopefully better prevent lows that are harder to treat. Being diagnosed at 2 I felt like I was always used to it and it was just always a part of my life, rather than being diagnosed later on and having to learn all about it and manage this new challenge once I was already a grow(ish) person. It’s definitely challenging but in some way I accepted it more because I had to as I grew up. In terms of everyday stuff, we always always carried juice boxes. Juicy juice has always been the best esp cuz they have two sizes for 25 and 15 grams of carbs depending how low!! Also I don’t use these anymore but when I was little my parents always had cake icing and some type of fruit snacks that were just quick sugar. now I usually carry glucose tablets and bars (Lara, luna, clip, granola, etc) …good luck!!!