No insulin for 4 years for Type 1 diabetics-STEM CELL ADVANCEMENT!

(slkboston) #1

http://uk.reuters.com/article/rbssHealthcareNews/idUKN1338055520090414?pageNumber=1&virtualBrandChannel=0

This article is so exciting...I have a few questions though...

1. When will it be available to Type 1s?

2. What happens after 4 years?  Do they reimplant the stem cells?

(ruckus) #2

Unfortunately I think it could be several years to come.  I was able to get in touch with the University department that sponsored it, and they said they still are awaiting FDA approval for clinical trials.  They also mentioned they would be looking for patients that were newly diagnosed.....<3 months in their case.  Keep in mind, while I would be the first one in line for a clinical trial, you would have to subject your body to potent immunosuppresents (you could inherit another chronic and debilitating disease) and depending on how they retrieve the stem cells (this could be painful if extracted from the bone marrow of the pelvic girdle).  I'm assuming they were not able to provide data after four years because patients are not four years out from the original study.  In other words, a year from now we will know about the fifth year.  But I'm still optimistic!!  Hope this helps a little.   =)   

(stilledlife) #3

Just bumping up the post, look up some new news on this, clinical trails are underway!