Now or wait?

(Amanda ) #1

So, my boyfriend knows about my T1D, but I don’t think he understands. We’re only 13 and I don’t want go into detai if our relationship isn’t going to last, but I don’t want him getting me chocolates for something like Valentine’s Day, my birthday, or Christmas which is coming up soon. I don’t know if I should wait or tell him on Tuesday (no school Monday). Can anyone help me?

(Dennis J. Dacey, PwD) #2

Amanda @AAT1D, you are being very thoughtful in thinking ahead and “helping” your boyfriend avoid what may be an embarrassing moment for him when he gives you a big chocolate heart on Saint Valentine’s Day. Really nice of you.
If I was in your shoes, I would take my time and don’t anticipate too much and just “fill him in” on your diabetes as time and your relationship goes on. A simple way to break the subject of diabetes to him is when you are out together and stop for a snack or ice cream and you just mention how you need to kind of watch what you eat because you have diabetes - and when he asks what you can, or can not have, mention that although you loveeeeeeee chocolate you only would dare to have a single piece of dark chocolate and never a whole bunch.
If he is really thoughtful and creative, on Valentine’s Day, he may surprise you with a tiny dark chocolate heart done up with a BIG fancy red ribbon.

(Amanda ) #3

Thanks for the advice Dennis @Dennis