Now that Freestyle Libre is approved, will you use it?

(Alexa) #1

Curious if:

1. You’re a DXCM user and are going to switch to Libre when it comes out in December (if yes, why? cost, form factor, ease of access/use, MARD and/or YSI referencing, etc…)

2. You’re a DXCM user and will stick with it

3. You’re not using any CGM device right now and are going to start Libre

4. If you don’t care about either of these devices and will not use either

(ThePancreanator) #2

I’m sticking with my Dexcom G5. I like the integration with their mobile apps. I love being able to track my blood sugar on my iPhone or Apple Watch, and, as I mentioned in another post, they’ll soon support a standalone Watch App. Right now, it works through the phone to the Watch.

Briefly scanning through their site, it seems like they are playing catch up to Dexcom.

(Larry1) #3

No. 2, I love my Dexcom G5 Mobile, I use it in conjunction with my Animas One Touch Ping and my Galaxy S8+, al work great. Considered the
THE MINIMED® 670G SYSTEM but verified my insurance will not pay for anything but Dexcom Units and other insulin pumps, including Medtronics, not using a Medtronics CGM. Currently need to replace my pump since I can hardly read the screen anylonger and thge contrastis all the way up. That is why I was looking into the Medtronics Unit being a closed loop system. .

(cmanton) #4

I’m a Dexcom user, and I’ll be keeping it. Having a system that transmits numbers continually to a device that will alert me when things go bad is key for me. The fact that you have to scan the Libre sensor to get the values is a huge drawback, as it means you don’t get high and low alerts and are still forced to rely on your body telling you if you’re off.

However, I can see some use for the Libre if it is inexpensive enough. I have a friend with type 1 that can’t afford Dexcom and insurance won’t cover it at all. I think the Libre might be good for him, IF the price is really significantly lower than Dexcom. At this point, though, all I’ve seen are a lot of claims that the price point is lower, without actual hard numbers to show how much it will cost.

(Larry1) #5

One other note, my Dexcom transmits directly to my Endocrinologist and staff using an app. on my android smart phone. That way they can see my glucose level every five minutes.

(peruvianpasohi) #6

Libre is out. Avail only thru major pharm: cvs walgreens walmart n riteaide. Covered by commercial insurance plans with deductible. Not medicare or medicaid. Not a DME. Cash price $43-$55 each.last 10 days. Ndc is 57599000019. Dexcom never worked for me. I’m getting one on Monday. Reads n starts on phone or you can buy the reader. I’m an avid believer in Abbott engineers. Its a shame their management is so notoriously poor!

(DDrumminMan) #7

I have one!

I got my rx filled last week and will be starting on it 1/2/2018.

I have been waiting for this thing. I don’t have a pump and probably won’t. I did look into Dexcom etc a couple of years ago, but changing sensors every few days and the cost (outrageous) turned me off.

I don’t care about alarms or tracking online whatever, i just want to be able to test with out poking my poor fingers any more. Even though I am a professional internet computer programmer, I’m not into the whole cell phone/social media thing. I also don’t need my BS on the internet.

And, I can dose off of it too.

My insurance covered it at 100%. Free for me.

(rvedt82) #8

Hi there, I just wanted to say thank you for posting just because your words echo exactly how I feel about the sensors, pump etc. and it’s nice to see another Type 1 who is in the same boat as me. I’m getting mine tomorrow and CAN’T WAIT. Thank you again for your post.

(peruvianpasohi) #9

Yes I am using Libre. I also discoveted that using the Glimp app it runs for 14 days,just like the out of country ones. I presume that Abbott set their reader to limit to 10 days for insurance purposes. 10x3=30. Wherras 2x14=28. That allows fixed quantity for billing purposes. If you use Glimp. You also need to install Glimp S to start it.