Omnipod?

(thebeatles909) #1

Hey i've always wondered how an omnipod works. like where does the insulin go? are there alerts and things like that? thanks! :]

(ximxchillingx) #2

you inject the insulin into the pod before putting it on. then you tell the PDM(which is also a meter) to inject it and the pod auto-inserts the cannula :) There are plenty of alerts for it but they are all adjustable. Anything else? i've had mine for a little more than a year.

(ximxchillingx) #3

Oh and Happy Birthday :)

(thebeatles909) #4

thanks! and wow that sound cool! is it true that they're really expensive?

(diabeticcowgirl) #5

all insulin pumps are going to be expensive.  Ihave hearthough that th adhesive withth omnpod is asoutely riduculous.  One person i talked to described as the same stuff the heart monitor tabs use that stay on you for like 2 weeks.  Have you felt thatt he adhesiis a little over powering?

(gill) #6

i love the omni pod but i have to admit hen u take it off u might have to scrub off the adhesive but its also a good thing if u ask me that way u know its gonna stick lol

(gill) #7

OMG so glad u asked the omni pod is aaaaamazing if u are intersested u can go to omnipod.com and sign up and they send you a pod to try on and see how it feels with ur life styl if u have any more wuestions id be happy 2 answer :)

(ximxchillingx) #8

Pumps are really expensive, you just gotta see if your insurance covers it. The adhesive isnt really THAT bad. When i first got on it they were having me use these things like alcohol swabs only they made the adhesive stronger. I had to use baby oil to get my pods off half the time. I only use alcohol swabs now and they come off much easier.

(davidsonc18) #9

[quote user="Kimberly"]

all insulin pumps are going to be expensive.  Ihave hearthough that th adhesive withth omnpod is asoutely riduculous.  One person i talked to described as the same stuff the heart monitor tabs use that stay on you for like 2 weeks.  Have you felt thatt he adhesiis a little over powering?

[/quote]

i have had no trouble with the adhesive not coming off.  when i first got the omnipod my endo gave me some adhesive remover wipes, like the size of the alcohol wipes, to help remove it but i have not had to use them at all.  that being said i have heard that some people have the opposite problem with the adhesive not sticking for the three days that it can stay on.  I have noticed that if i shower immediately after changing it it is a little less sticky. and since it sticks out I will sometimes hit it on something causing the back of it to ripe but i just use some medical tape to help it stick, especially if i just changed it, but that rarely happens to me.  Hope this helps

p.s. I absolutely love my omnipod

(ximxchillingx) #10

[quote user="Courtney"]

i have had no trouble with the adhesive not coming off.  when i first got the omnipod my endo gave me some adhesive remover wipes, like the size of the alcohol wipes, to help remove it but i have not had to use them at all.  that being said i have heard that some people have the opposite problem with the adhesive not sticking for the three days that it can stay on.  I have noticed that if i shower immediately after changing it it is a little less sticky. and since it sticks out I will sometimes hit it on something causing the back of it to ripe but i just use some medical tape to help it stick, especially if i just changed it, but that rarely happens to me.  Hope this helps

p.s. I absolutely love my omnipod

[/quote]

The shower part is very true. It happens afterwards for me alot too because i dont get fully dry. Otherwise though i find that my pods currently stick perfectly

(thebeatles909) #11

Thanks! and i ment by expensive as in more expensive as to any other pumps. my friend told me thats what she heard.

(ximxchillingx) #12

I'm fairly sure that it is a bit more expense, so yes