One thing that sticks out in your mind from the day you were diagnosed

(golfpapabravo06) #1

1. The last time I saw Beauty and the Beast was the day I was diagnosed

2. The nurse from the ER was going to texas to visit her family the coming weekend.

(Savs) #2

I was exactly (to the day) 4 and 1/2. I also remember that the EMT in the ambulance was named Jack.

(Anonymous) #3

My neighbor said I was faking sick because I didn't want to go to school, guess I showed her :)

(Savs) #4

^^Haha, ouch.

(Anonymous) #5

The nightnurse had some rockin' silver shoes on.

(Savs) #6

Haha Alyssa xD

What kind of shoes were they?

(since030993) #7

Up to that point in my life (I was 7) I had never seen my dad cry.  He cried a lot that day.

(Savs) #8

Oh me too, I definately remember not knowing why my parents were crying.

I also remember being the happiest child in the world when I got to inject an orange with water to see what doing a shot would feel like.

(Mary O.) #9

since i was diagnosed at 10 months i dont remember anything but i do remember my parents telling my that they learned how to do my insulin injections on oranges too :)

(BrianPQuinn) #10

Oddly enough the one thing that stuck out to me was my ride from one hospital to another where I stopped and had a Big Mac, I ate meat at that point and being told I would not be able to be a pilot. Oh and I got a set of books from my favorite Author which I still read fourteen years later.

(virginia1) #11

the first nurse to give me a shot of insulin told me she was really clumsy and proceded knock everything off my bedside table...haha

(FFA_RodeoStar) #12

1. throwing everything that had sugar in the trash cause the dr told me it would make me worse.

2. the church Pastor coming over

3. the drs at the hospital that is 3 hours away asking where the ambulance was and why i wasn't in a coma

4. playing video games the entire three days at the hospital

(cdavid1) #13

1. Crying very loudly at patient first because I was so dehydrated they couldn't get any blood from me, that was very painful.

2. My awesome nurse who had the best accent ever!

(tombeatson) #14

I remember that our family doctor, Frank M. Wright, MD, in New Rochelle, NY, made a house call and decided I needed to be taken to the hospital, so he drove me and my mother to the hospital in his car. I think they had a problem getting me from the second floor bedroom to his car in the driveway, because I was well on my way to DKA coma and unable to walk or negotiate stairs, and my father had gone to work in NYC. BTW, Dr. Wright was also the doctor who delivered me ten years earlier.

(Vered) #15

well I remember a lot of things since it just happened 7 months ago, but my favorite thing is the hospital doctor (who looked just like the really gay guy from will and grace) coming up to me after being there for hours and shaking my hand saying "congradulations you do have diabetes". I didn't even know how I was suppose to react to that haha.

(Jmrasmus) #16

1. the triage nurse was very rude and yelled at me for freaking out at my mother while she was doing my vitals. (sorry for being scared and taking it out on my mom since i was 11 and told i had some disease i had never heard of but woul deal with for the rest of my life) and this was at a childrens hospital...

2. i had to have a pelvic exam since i was "beginning puberty" and to this day my parents can't explain why they did that to me

(Rosemary5) #17

I remember having to go to another hospital because the one I went to first only had out patient service for kids. The doctor told me that I wasn't allowed to stop at home and get any of my things. I was really annoyed cause then I had to wait in the hosptial alone while my mom went home to get me stuff.

I also remember being forced to chug OJ at 2am when my blood sugar went low (my first low ever) it sucked!

(Gina) #18

My parents made the hospital put me in pediatrics because they didn't want me to be around old people. I was 25.

My boyfriend at the time bought me a gameboy so I could play video games.

I cried for two days because they told me I would have to give myself a shot.

They made me practice giving shots on oranges but it didn't in now way shape or form feel like skin.

The nurse let me give her saline shots in her arm.

I had my first low experience and felt like I was flying.

My mom slept in the hospital bed with me.

(golfpapabravo06) #19

[quote user="Jessica"]

1. the triage nurse was very rude and yelled at me for freaking out at my mother while she was doing my vitals. (sorry for being scared and taking it out on my mom since i was 11 and told i had some disease i had never heard of but woul deal with for the rest of my life) and this was at a childrens hospital...

2. i had to have a pelvic exam since i was "beginning puberty" and to this day my parents can't explain why they did that to me

[/quote]

2. awkwardddd

(Anonymous) #20

Someone asked about the shoes? :)

They weren't your average nurse shoes. Oh, no. They were sweet: silver with X's on the sides. LOL that's all I had the energy to do the first night - stare at the floor and peoples' shoes. The nightnurses' won.