Organ Donator

(Jesus_Freak_13) #1

Hey, do you think someone could be an organ donator if they had diabetes without complications? If the only think broken was the pancreas, and someone else could use the heart (After your dead lol) then can we give it?

(Anonymous) #2

As far as I know T1's can donate their organs. I am donating my body to science when I pass on. To the U.C. system to be exact.

(Jesus_Freak_13) #3

COOL! I was just wondering... i thought i would when i die... i just didnt know if i could lol. Thats awesome!! Thanks!

(cdavid1) #4

I've always wanted to donate my body to science. I am an organ donor.

(Anonymous) #5

It is a fairly easy process. All I did was download, print, and sent it in via snail mail. There are a few diseases that disqualify someone from donating their body however T1 is not one of them.

(cdavid1) #6

I'm sure they probably want people with T1, that way they may be able to find a cure from our donated bodies. We never know!!

(Anonymous) #7

[quote user="Courtney"]

I'm sure they probably want people with T1, that way they may be able to find a cure from our donated bodies. We never know!!

[/quote]

Yeah that was my line of thinking too. I think that the more they have to learn from and work with the better. Right on Courtney for considering it :)

(cdavid1) #8

But, I do also want to think about what my family wants. If they weren't comfortable with it and wanted me to be buried I guess I'd do that.

(Trisha Faye) #9

I just wanna say that you guys are awesome for wanting to donate your bodies to science and thinking about the future of others like that! I've learned something new as well. I didn't know a person with diabetes, or any chronic illness, could be an organ donor. Cool.

(Eric_Carpenter) #10

Ever since I went to Bodies: The Exhibition a few years back I've considered donating myself to that.  Imagine being turned into a display of "regular" vs. diabetic organs.

http://www.bodiestheexhibition.com/

(stilledlife) #11

Your lungs, your heart, maybe even skin or hair, I don't know what all can be donated. Be sure to look up how to write a living will when you turn 18 =) I'm writing mine this weekend to make sure that my lungs are specifically  donated to someone in need.

=)

(system) #12

i sent one of those forms in at some point..i think it was with my license or something, but i never actually heard word back if they accepted me or not...that was a good 2 or 3years ago..i should look into that..haha

thanks for the reminder!

(Jesus_Freak_13) #13

Thanks for all the reply's!! I will have to do that!!! I just wanna save a life if I can lol.

(Jesus_Freak_13) #14

HAHA! you maybe should, good luck with that!! :)

(rainbow_squid) #15

yea as long as u dont donate ur pancreas!

(sarahslp) #16

I think if you check "yes" for your license, they don't look into it to see if you qualify. It's probably when the time comes that they'd ok it? At least in the US, they just kinda record it that you said yes.

(sarahslp) #17

P.S. That was to Batts. I forgot to quote you.

(system) #18

[quote user="Sarah"]

I think if you check "yes" for your license, they don't look into it to see if you qualify. It's probably when the time comes that they'd ok it? At least in the US, they just kinda record it that you said yes.

[/quote]

it was a separate form you have to fill out and send to BC Transplant directly to register as a donor, but was sent when they mailed me my actual license card. I went to the site and put in my carecard number and they received/registered me Nov 2008 (so i guess it was a year..not 2 or 3 haha). i looked up the stuff on the site too and they determine at your death what they can take to donor to someone on a transplant waiting list. I looked at the form you can download, fill out and mail to them and it doesn't ask you any questions about conditions you have etc. Just whether you want to donate all your organs, only select ones(which you then check off) and if you want to donate tissue as well.

:)

(since030993) #19

for more info: http://www.aopo.org/aopo/

EVERYONE can elect to be an organ donor regardless of health status.  it's not determined until nearing the time of death or very shortly after whether anything will be used.  working in a VA hospital I know it is our policy to contact our Organ Procurement Agency, LifeNet, within one hour of the time of death or if we believe the end of life is iminent.

(since030993) #20

one more thought...the heart of a healthy diabetic would be readily accepted... and the heart of an unhealthy diabetic is often better than no heart at all...