Over 40, female T1Ds

(Deborah) #1

Hi. I’m new here, but I’ve been. T1D for 30+ years. I’ve had a pretty easy relationship with diabetes, until I turned 40. Now it’s a whole different ballgame!

Any women out there sharing this experience? I would love to connect, learn from your experiences or just chat with someone who “gets it.” Cheers!

(janmosso) #2

Hi. I’ve been T1D for 50+ years. My relationship with diabetes has never been easy. I’ve been on a pump for about 18 years and that has helped a lot. But it seems like diabetes makes the stuff that goes along with getting older even more difficult than it would be otherwise. I recently had cataract surgery, which I believed would be no big deal based on what friends told me. But because my pupils no longer dilate with those drops due to diabetes. The Dr. had to use some kind of pupil stretcher to get to my retina. I was awake for the whole thing. It was not fun.

(pennylane42672) #3

I’ve been T1 x 45 years and never had an “easy” relationship with it. I’m guessing at 40 you’re premenopausal. For me it started when I was about 48? But nothing prepared me for 50. When I was 12, everyone talked about and told me what to expect with puberty. Middle age however, is a big mystery, especially when you have T1. I’ve talked to my gynecologist, endocrinologist, pcp, and all I’ve been given is handouts to read. With T1, I know we have more challenges then non T1 women. Along with hot flashes, fatigue, and headaches, all of which I would mistake for lows, sleeplessness, unwanted weight gain, increased insulin doses, and roller coaster highs and lows, I’ll take puberty any day. For over 30+ years, I’ve followed a semivegetarian
diet; no red meat, white bread simple sugars, fried foods and sat fats. Lean chicken and fish, vegetables, fruit, whole grains, yogurt. The diet I followed for years now makes my bgs soar. I would be very interested to hear from other women who are pre, peri, and post-menopausal and how they handle these changes.

(pennylane42672) #4

@janmosso…I never knew long term T1 impeded pupil dilation. I’ve noticed my pupils don’t dilate hardly at all and at my last eye exam, they dilated me without problems. It sounds painful what you went through with cataract removal. I hope you recovered without incidence.

(Dennis J. Dacey, PWD) #5

@janmosso it is common to be wide awake during eye surgery - I’ve had 100’0 of eye surgery sessions since the time that I was in the first group of a half dozen PWD diagnosed with retinopathy to volunteer in 1966 for experimental treatment with a modified weapons grade ruby LASER. Very small eye pupils, which I have, are one of the several neuropathy; the same neuropathy that decreases ear canal size and coronary artery size.
I strongly doubt that the Cataract Surgeon was going anywhere near your retina - cataracts are on the front surface of the eyeball where as the retina is the rear. But yes, I do agree with you that at times there can be much discomfort with some of the necessary procedures needed to preserve our eyesight.