Parent feeling so overwhelmed

(Tammy) #1

My son was just diagnosed in June at the age of 17. I am sad all the time. He was supposed to be drafted very high in the MLB draft out of HS. That of course was ruined by this diagnosis. He dropped 26 pounds and lost so much strength his velocity dropped, as well as his draft slot. I am just so angry. He’s worked so hard. He’ll go to UK to play and study, but it’s just not fair. He’s handling it great, me not so much!

(BookwormNerd13) #2

That’s really rough. I don’t know what it’s like to be a parent in that situation but I’m sure it’s awful. When I was diagnosed, my mom went through a similar period of anger and helplessness. Just know that it’ll get easier. I was diagnosed when I was 7 (I’m now 15, freshman year of high school) and today I’m a top player on my high school tennis team, something I never thought could happen after my diagnosis. My point is–as difficult as it may seem, people with T1 can overcome every obstacle we face. I actually think my condition has made me stronger… it’s taught me responsibility and maturity in a way that few things can. I have no doubt your son will be able to get past this diagnosis and succeed despite his new condition.
Best wishes,
Abby

(Tammy) #3

Thanks for the encouraging response.

(Dennis J. Dacey, PWD) #4

Hi Tammy @jtmarsh and welcome to this site,
I feel your emotions and the negatives of Type
one has overpowered you - there are many people who have improved their characters because of their diagnosis with diabetes - try looking on the positive side. Actually it appears that TypeOne has lengthened my lifespan - more than half my high school graduating class has died - and my life was and continues to be very productive. I was diagnosed on my 16th birthday.

As for his potential MLB career, there are several current players in the majors who have TypeOne Diabetes - watch a few games and notice pumps - including an All-Star pitcher who was one of the speakers at our JDRF Summit last December. Certainly your son lost weight - in the weeks before my diagnosis my six-foot frame fell to 124 pounds.

(Tammy) #5

Thanks Dennis, trying to stay as positive as my son is!! I’m sure time will help.

(Luisa) #6

Hi Tammy,

My 10 year old son was diagnosed May of this year. Although my son is not the age of yours and does not have those offers on the table he has always been very activein multiple sports and surprisingly quite good at any he tries. When he was diagnosed one of the first things I thought of was his dreams of a scholarship through sports or being drafted…it broke my heart to know that this diagnosis could ruin those dreams for him… however, I had to remind myself that this diagnosis does NOT have to define his future and what it holds for him, that he can turn this into something positive and can still accomplish his dream. Yes it may be harder for him, yes it may take him longer but it is not impossible. I now like to think of how his love for sports may bring awareness to T1D in the future, how he can turn this around and prove that the diagnosis does not define who he is and what he can accomplish in life period. Try to uplift your son and yourself with these ideas of him using his platform to bring awareness and to be an example to other young athletes with T1D, such as my son, who may need someone like him in the future to remind them that everything is possible with T1D :slight_smile:

Luisa

(Tammy) #7

Hi Luisa. You sound like my son. He has the biggest plans to reach his goals and help others young athletes with Type 1 thrive. I couldn’t be prouder of him. I take each day , one at a time. I realize that maybe the plan was for him to go to college and play first. I continue to try to stay positive. Thanks so much for the positive thoughts! Good luck to your son.