Parents with kids diagnosed as toddlers or preschoolers

(JDVsMom) #1

I am looking to connect with other parents of pre-schoolers (or parents who's kids were diagnosed when they were pre-school age.) My son John was dx on May 28, 09. He is doing really well, even though it is a lot of new stuff to get used to.

Please send a friend request if you are interested and tell me a little about you and your kids!

(abutterworth) #2

My son Dylan was dx June 19, 2009 he is pre-school aged.  I am looking for other parents in the same boat.  We are just so overwhelmed at this point with the highs and lows, I can't even imagine him in school in the fall.  Looking forward to connecting with some people who fell the same way and how to survive.

Amy

(2boysmom) #3

My son Paul was diagnosed at the age of 3 just seven months ago. It was two weeks before Christmas. He was attending preschool at the time. I couldn’t convince myself to leave him there so I actually stayed with him at school (at first in his room and later in another room) for the first two months. He finally said “mommy-you have to let other people test me. We have to get used to it”. Out of the mouths of babes!

Our biggest challenge is activity. His blood sugar goes down with activity or excitement. This summer has been quite a challenge as we are very active at parks, the pool and the local amusement park.

Brenda

(ameenk01) #4

My daughter was diagnosed in May of 2008 at the age of 3. She was in preschool already at the time. The first few months were a real challenge for us. i found it best for me to sit with the entire staff, it is a small place thank god, and explain Type 1 to them all. i also made very easy handouts for all of the rooms and staff as well as made sure they all understood that I or my husband were a phone and minutes away if they needed anything. I was somewhat lucky though because i have been T1 for 30 years and knew it like the back of my hand. I kept and still do in close contact with her teachers. i let them know what her blood sugar was before I drop her off and they keep very detailed noted on all foods and drinks as well as blood sugar levels and activities. I tried to be relaxed because I know how hard it must be for them to learn this all and figure they are in a somewhat similar boat as most parents. By leaving the communication open and letting them know that they could call me as many times in a day as they needed it has turned out pretty well. We do still have days where Courtney doesn't eat all of her lunch or she sneaks something from one of her friends lunchbags. But I don't let myself get worked up over an occasional high or low. I still miscount carbs myself after all these years and understand how easily it happens with a little one. Good luck and if you need any more advice please dont hesitate to ask. Thats what we are all here for!

(Bradymom) #5

I am totally with you my son was diagnosed March 21 09 and we have had a lot of adapting to do.  I just had a baby and was lucky enough to be staying home but my son will go to school in the fall that is why we have pushed for a pump.  We started it June 26th and LOVE it.  It is a lot to do in just 4 months but I would not do it any other way it has made our life so much better!!! I trust only most anyone to do it and instructions are always with him.  I hope you find the support you are looking for and feel free to connect me whenever I have been looking into trying to start a preschool playgroup with my local JDRF just to meet other moms with little ones that have been diagnosed!!!

(FreeHappyHolly) #6

My daughter was diagnosed right after she turned 3 (she is now 6).  She finished her kindergarten year this May with great success!  A year or so before she started school I had her put on a pump (I also wear a pump) so things were as easy as possible for her teachers to deal with.  I met with her teacher before school even started to go over the basics and explain how Macie needed to be taken care of.  I put together a little "Macie Jo's Box" with juice boxes, extra supplies, carb counting cards, etc. for them to keep in her classroom.  I even put non-carb things in there she could eat if her blood sugar was too high during snack time and she couldn't eat the classroom snack provided.  One thing I have always done with my daughter is explain everything to her as I'm doing it so she would start to learn at a young age how to take care of herself (of course I would do everything but just verball explain to her what I was doing).  By the time we got to school she was able to tell the teacher what to do...."my mom never gives me more than 60 grams because that gives me too much medicine"...or "I need to get medicine for what I just ate" or "chocolate milk has more carbs than white milk".  I would teach her "if your blood sugar is just two numbers then you need a juice box....if it's three numbers than you're ok"  It's basic stuff but it helped her start to get an understanding of how things worked and it provided somewhat of a safety net for her when other's are caring for her diabetes.  She had a wonderful teacher who was so willing to learn and would call me/e-mail me with questions.  I would always encourage phone calls because I felt more peace of mind knowing they were taking care of her vs. not getting any phone calls.  Of course there are always going to be issues that pop up or too big of a bolus or not enough of a bolus.  I found that giving the teachers a lot of encouragement and verbal praise for doing a good job with my daugther reinforced their willingness to do even better.  She's going to start 1st grade this September.  Who knows, maybe this will be a completely different year since it's a different teacher.  All you can do is take one day at a time.  I was worried sick about her starting school but it went much better than I had ever imagined.