Pets

(Sheltergirl87) #1

My 6 yr old golden retriever has been known to start barking in the middle of the night when my BS is low. It's happened more than once. I was just wondering who else has thier doggie looking out for them... what kind do you have??

(Zemus) #2

I've seen stories about dogs detecting low blood sugar levels.

But I have 2 cats that lay on me when I have a low blood sugars...or high blood sugars...or really anything in between.

(Run D-Link) #3

It is pretty awesome your dog does that, he might have saved your life.

My family has a small, 7 yr old chocolate lab named "Mocha."

(Sheltergirl87) #4

[quote user="Travis"]

But I have 2 cats that lay on me when I have a low blood sugars...or high blood sugars...or really anything in between.

[/quote]

LMAO Travis! I have 6 of my own, and 4 fosters - I know exactly what you mean!

(Zemus) #5

I can't imagine what it must be like with 6 (or 10) of them running around. I think my spine would need some serious repairs from the twisting for space in the night.

(Amy Beth) #6

I have an adorable pug puppy, name Apollo, who is 10 months old.  When I got home from the hospital after being diagnosed he wouldn't leave my side.

(Jessica L) #7

I am not sure about that but the smell of insulin is like crack to our cat. I got some on the thumb and just rinsed my hand off. Our cat came along smelled my hand and went nuts on it. He was rubbing on it and meowing at it. Honestly I think he recognizes the sent as Riley's already he is more her cat than the rest of ours.

(system) #8

[quote user="Jessie"]

[quote user="Travis"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Just a side note. I got a six toed cat, have pics on my page if you would like to see. She's so cute!!!!

(Sheltergirl87) #9

[quote user="Keith221"]

[quote user="Jessie"]

[quote user="Travis"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Just a side note. I got a six toed cat, have pics on my page if you would like to see. She's so cute!!!!

[/quote]

So do I. It's called a 'polydactile'. Actually, I took both her and her sister in as fosters. Paris (now Splenda) is all white, her sister is all back. Both are polydactiles. I'll have to start putting pictures up :)

(eStephanie) #10

[quote user="Jessie"]

My 6 yr old golden retriever has been known to start barking in the middle of the night when my BS is low. It's happened more than once. I was just wondering who else has thier doggie looking out for them... what kind do you have??

[/quote]

My 4 year old Papillon once woke me up barking in the middle of the night. When I checked my sugar, I was definitely low. I'm not sure if it was just coincidence or if she knew something was wrong. Either way, I was really thankful for my pup! It made me love her even more!

(Sheltergirl87) #11

cool! I doubt it was a coincidence. Dogs are way smarter than people give them credit for

(thebeatles909) #12

my old dog would always bark 2 minutes EXACTLY before i had a sezuire. she was a miniture pinture. and my friend had a dog who had diabetes and my friend was diabetic... that dog was so cool!

(Trisha Faye) #13

I have a huge mutt. Her dominant breed is German Sheperd (She looks almost full-blooded). She hears Brandan in his bedroom before I hear it over the monitor and she runs back and forth betwen his door and the living room until I get there. At night, when everyone is in bed, she lays in front of the bedroom door when he cries.

(Trisha Faye) #14

(Side note) I miis my pug. I had to give her away when I moved down here along with 4 cats. :(  I'm a cat person, I want another cat.

(Aggie_Girl_10) #15

My grandparents dog (doberman) can sense when I'm low and he starts licking my hands. And my dog (Border collie/Pointer mix) can sense when I'm really high and my oldest cat can sense when I'm mildly low.

(meme) #16

Hi Jessie,Our pets don't show any skills like this...but they do have the cute factor going on,ha :) Keith,in all the years of having cats,I don't remember any like the one you have.What cute name did he get ? :)

(Sheltergirl87) #17

[quote user="Trish"]

(Side note) I miis my pug. I had to give her away when I moved down here along with 4 cats. :(  I'm a cat person, I want another cat.

[/quote]Check out your local shelters and rescues. Its always best to save a life =)

(Trisha Faye) #18

[quote user="Jessie"]

[quote user="Trish"]

[/quote]Check out your local shelters and rescues. Its always best to save a life =)[/quote]

I agree. I got my dog from the local humane society. :) When I get a bigger place I'll go back for a cat, the dog takes up enough room. :)

(system) #19

[quote user="meme"]

Hi Jessie,Our pets don't show any skills like this...but they do have the cute factor going on,ha :) Keith,in all the years of having cats,I don't remember any like the one you have.What cute name did he get ? :)

[/quote]

She(LOL) is called Mittens