Planning for a baby and looking for support

(Chrismery) #1

Hello Everyone!
I am 28 years old and have been a T1D for 16 years. When I was diagnosed and pregnancy was discussed, I did not really pay attention nor knew what to ask aside from “would my baby have diabetes?”. Now that I am older I am ready to dive into the topic of T1D and pregnancy. I have been seeing a lot of negative stuff (same every one else has been saying), and while it is important to understand the risks I would like to see more “solutions” or to see what others’ journeys have looked like. I cant believe that I have known about this site for so long and today was the first day that I took the time out to thoroughly look through it.
My diabetic career hasn’t been a pretty one. I have been in DKA more times than I can count (probably in the double digits). To get on the insulin pump my endos told me I needed to get better and in just one month I went from a 14 A1C to a 7.4% which was amazing but that was when I was diagnosed with diabetic neuropathy. I think a part of me is scared to get back under control and for something else to go wrong. I have been inconsistent with my care, I have struggled with depression and keeping myself healthy, I know that I need to do better but it is so hard! Now that I want to have a baby, I need to finally overcome my struggle and be consistent. This is why I am giving myself some time, planning for a positive test at the end of next year. This is why I want to start doing my research, get back on the wagon and start my work NOW.
While looking for research I realized that there is a lack of representation for us T1D future moms, which is why I came up with the idea of starting something. I want to document my journey from the beginning. I welcome any suggestions, advice, support from everyone (positive things only please-- not to be confused with withholding the truth). I found out about the Balancing Pregnancy with Pre-Existing Diabetes book and welcome any other suggestions for other books to read. My email address is Chrismery.Gonzalez@gmail.com if anyone is planning on embarking on this journey and needs a buddy as well.

(Jessica) #2

Hey there, I highly recommend the book Type 1 Diabetes and Pregnancy by Ginger Vieira and Think Like a Pancreas by Gary Scheiner. The combination of the two books helped me get a handle on my basal rates and bolusing. As you said, you defintely want to get everything under control before having a baby. Find a great endocrinologist that you like and work closely with them. You can do it!

(Jennifer) #3

Hey Jessica! Thank you for suggesting book.

(Chrismery) #4

Thank you so much! I got the Type 1 Diabetic and Pregnancy book, it has been really helpful! Just waiting on Think Like a Pancreas to come in.