Possible cure...worth the read

(ruckus) #1

Food Additive Could Cure Diabetes

Central Fla. Scientists May Have Unlocked Secret In Grapes

POSTED: Wednesday, April 29, 2009
UPDATED: 1:47 pm EDT May 1, 2009

ORLANDO, Fla. -- A new food additive developed in Central Florida may have the power to stop diabetes.

Diabetes affects more than 20 million Americans and a new additive derived from grapes could offer those people relief.

Julie Locklin knows a lot about the disease. She is a diabetic and a diabetes educator at Florida Hospital.

"Initially you don't believe it. It doesn’t seem real. You feel fine. You're not sick, but you now need to make changes in your life. It's very scary," Locklin said.

Two scientists at ATM Metabolics said they have unlocked a mystery about the peels and rinds of tropical fruits like the muscadine grape, which is grown in Central Florida.

Their discovery is called Emulin, a compound extracted from the grape peel that acts as a sugar buffer.

"You know, we're not a big drug company. We're from Central Florida. This is what we like to do," Joseph Ahrens of ATM Metabolics said.

Scientists said Emulin works by reducing the amount of carbohydrates absorbed after meals and the amount of glucose manufactured by the liver. It also is intended to speed the removal of excess sugar from the bloodstream.

After a round of animal testing with great results, the company moved on to human testing.

In independent clinical trials, Emulin was compared to a placebo and to Metformin, one of the leading diabetes drugs.

"Emulin outperformed the drug, and when Emulin was added to people we had a ten-fold increase in the efficacy of Metformin," Ahrens said.

"Some of the test subjects had to be removed off of insulin because it was working so well," Daryl Thompson of ATM Metabolics said.

Locklin said she would love to get rid of her insulin pump, something ATM Metabolics scientists believe is possible.

Once Emulin makes it to the general food supply, it could even prevent diabetes, scientists said.

"If you take this product on a regular basis and keep a minimum about in your body and, this is a bold statement, you will reverse type 2 diabetes and perhaps go a long way to reverse type 1 diabetes," Ahrens said.

Locklin said the food additive almost sounds too good to be true.

"Millions of people would benefit from this," Locklin said.

The drug company is working to get Emulin into the food supply by introducing it into everyday processed foods like soda, cake mixes, pasta and cookies.

The additive would not be used as a sugar substitute. Foods with Emulin would still have sugar, but the additive would make the sugar safer.

Scientists warn this is not a license to overeat sugary foods.

Emulin could make its way into the food supply within a year.

Copyright 2009 by Internet Broadcasting Systems and Local6.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

(joe) #2

hooray for type twos!

(type1at18) #3

this is one of the many reasons i wish people wouldn't classify everyone as "diabetes"

this article SHOULD be titled FOOD ADDITIVE COULD CURE TYPE 2 DIABETES

but i hope it proves well for the type 2's out there!

(Dylan404) #4

That's interesting I remember hearing about another rind that does something similar, but yea this is for T2's. 

(MaDEvans) #5

Very cool.  However, I don't like that lady's statement that it would help type 1's too:

"If you take this product on a regular basis and keep a minimum about in your body and, this is a bold statement, you will reverse type 2 diabetes and perhaps go a long way to reverse type 1 diabetes," Ahrens said.

Yeah, it may change the way we dose our insulin, but it will by no means reverse type 1.  Dumb.

(ruckus) #6

Actually it could of significantly delayed the diagnosis of type one, due to less strain on our precious beta cells.  I'd take another year or so of no diabetes any day.

(OmniUser) #7

would have been awesome for Type 1's but oh well... :( anyways hope it works for them. :)

(Daryl Thompson) #8

Ok, I see alot of comments here that I think I need to answer.  I am one of the scientists that worked on the Emulin Project.  Emulin works great for type II diabetics but we discovered something for type I by complete accident that we are presently working on.

During our pre-clinical trials, we were studying Emulin doasge in rats with no working pancreas (Type I Rats).  Well during the study we found that we could not keep the rats  as "stable diabetic type I) which means the rats taking Emulin would not stay diabetic for our research.

We initially thought that something was wrong with the protocol but after several attempts we saw the same thing. We decided to move on to type II diabetic rats (because we could not test the type I for failure to keep them diabetic).

We determined that the rats' pancreas was becoming active and the beta cells were releasing insulin. We have traced this down to a specific neuropeptide that we are inhibiting.  This particular neuropeptide is signaling the beta cells to "shut down". Inhibitng it turn them (beta cells) back on.

We are working hard to track this down and figure out how it can be exploited to help type I's. We feel very good about it and believe that it will work.

If anyone has any questions, I can be contact via email at dlthompson2000@yahoo.com

Thanks

Daryl Thompson

Director

ATM Metabolics Research

(Eric_Carpenter) #9

Hi Daryl,

Thanks for the extra information, the article didn't do a good job of explaining the potential for type 1.  I don't know if you can comment about this, but how long had the rats had type 1 diabetes? I'm wondering if Emulin only works up to a certain point in the course of diabetes or if it could help those of us who have had diabetes for multiple years.

(Daryl Thompson) #10

hello Eric,

We use a chemical called STZ to basically damage or severly retard the function of the beta cells on the pancreas of our test rats so that they are considered type I. I know it sounds mean but it is just the way we have to do it. 

We do have a grasp of the mechansim and it looks as though it could possibly restart beta cells. The lab that verified our tests were actuallt shocked and have said that they 've never seen this before.

So to answer your question I think that it will indeed help those that are type I. As far as how long it would work is not quite clear yet but we are guessing that the body will not build of resistance.

Our team is aggressively reaching out to the scientific commmunity with our data in order to move this along as fast as possble.

I hope that sheds some light on things,

Daryl

(joe) #11

[quote user="Daryl Thompson"]

We do have a grasp of the mechansim and it looks as though it could possibly restart beta cells. The lab that verified our tests were actuallt shocked and have said that they 've never seen this before.

So to answer your question I think that it will indeed help those that are type I. As far as how long it would work is not quite clear yet but we are guessing that the body will not build of resistance.

Our team is aggressively reaching out to the scientific commmunity with our data in order to move this along as fast as possble.

I hope that sheds some light on things,

Daryl

[/quote]

Dear Darly,

I have 2 question:

How far away is an FDA review for a human compound?

How does your chemical STZ damage to a rat pancreas, relate to an autoimmune systemic attack on a human pancreas?

I am not trying to be pessimistic, nor am I belittling your fantastic work, it just raises my eyebrows when I hear "cure" and "type 1" in the same general proximity. 

Even if the results are not relevant to autoimmune Type 1 diabetes, please accept my congratulations on your scientific contributions, and may you continue in your endeavors.

(Daryl Thompson) #12

Joe,

I can appreciate your position and questions.

Streptozotocin (STZ) is a natural chemical that is toxic to insulin prodcuing beta cells.  It is used in animal models to simulate Type I diabetes.  STZ has varying effects based on dosage. High doses will wipe out the pancreas while lower doses can retard the signaling pathways of the beta cells which is a method to simulate the auto immune model that you are referenciing.

it seems as though specific neuropeptide is being produced in high numbers in type I diabetics. This peptide is signaling the immune system to target the beta cells (t4) for destruction.

Part of our plant isolate has shown the ability to inhibit this peptide and thus halt the attack on the pancreas.

Please keep in mind that we are only at the animal model stage and have only completed work in type II human trials. We decided to talk about our research publicly because we would liek to get the best minds available on this.

Presenlty our goals are to:

1. Get Emulin in the food supply to prevent the rapid onset of type II and to treat type II

2. Complete the research of the "Neuropetide Scenerio" in order to create a suitable drug for type I. This will mean that we will need to retest the experiment, synthesize suitable drugs, screen them for toxicity, determine dosage levels and then get approval for phase I clinical trials on humans.

3. We are however going to see if the "natural state compound" can be used for Type I ( We think that this is possible)

Another big problem that we have is what we are allowed to say by the FDA.  If you have followed the media recently you may have seen that the FDA has classified Cherios Cereal as a drug!! It is a very weird world. I would expect that the drug route will take 4-8 years but we are working to get Emulin classified as a "medical food" which would make it possible to get to the public inside of two years.

So to sum it up here:  We have finished the Type II work and are preparing to go after Type I.

And I do appreciate your congratulations, thank you....    We are privately funded and this is very tough times to be doing this.

Thanks again,

Daryl

(ruckus) #13

Hi Daryl,

Thank you for responding to the forums publicly.  My hope in posting the original article was to provide some good p.r. for your company as well as some future hope for T1'S.  Unfortunately I think there will always be cynical individuals no matter what the topic.  I did have a few more questions though if you don't mind.

1. Has any of your experiments shown any positive results for any other autoimmune diseases, ie. multiple sclerosis, psoriasis, rheumatoid arthritis etc.? 

2. How can we (the juvenation community) help?  Since we are quickly becoming one the largest online diabetic forums (I can't imagine a more motivated crowd to help you with your company's efforts) can we help with tax deducted charitable donations,  local volunteering, or even upcoming clinical trials which we can look to participate in?   

3.  While obviously I don't expect for you to give away all of your clinical research for free, I know you mentioned the isolated compound from the muscadine grape.  Would there be or have you seen any evidence of positive results from individuals who incorporate this grape right off the shelf into their diet?  

Many thanks again, God Bless.

(Daryl Thompson) #14

Thanks Ruckus, no problem with the questions or cynical comments. I can understand the difficulty of type I and  appreciate how frustrating it can be. These forums create a good outlet for people to say whats on there mind and  think that thats important.

your questions are good ones.

1. Yes, we have seen some associations with Emulin compounds and the immune system.  For instance we do know that some Emulin compounds are powerful histamine inhibitors and have shown to work well for psoriasis. Also we are exploring the potential to boost glut4 uptake activity in bone tissue which in turn could increase white blood cell production, helping those with compromised immune systems.

2. Do we need help?  Yes, we are presently trying to get a meeting with the Iacocca Foundation (iacoccafoundation.org). We would like to meet with the foundation in order to see if we could get assistance ( an open door) to the leading drug companies in order to "fast track" this research. We need to get this up to the next level. Any help here would be very greatly appreciated. We jsut need them to help direct this to the right people.

3. Yes, grape juice and peel does seem to have a good antidiabetic effect. You can to go this site: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez to search for scientific research on the subject. just look up muscadine grape. If you decide to try it. Good (non alcoholic) muscadine juice can be found at http://www.lakeridgewinery.com/ which is in central Florida.

I hope this answers your questions

Thanks

Daryl

(system) #15

Hi Daryl,

I saw this info on the ADA website. Good luck on your research. PS did you find the spell checker I know it works for me too.

(JMIAH) #16

Another and most sure way to prevent and beat Type 2 is to actually lose the extra body fat that is clogging up the pancreas from working effeciently... good hard work and eating properly :)

(Master_Jason) #17

That's what I call good news! I hope the cure will be tested sufficiently so that there won't be any risk for the people taking it. But probably we should wait a few weeks or months to see if the medication really works that well because testing conditions don't necessarily reflect real life. However, if the news is true, this is goingto be one of the best medical efforts in the last decade.

(ruckus) #18

this is true. lol    but keep in mind that for many individuals their liver which helps make cholesterol, genetically produces more then it should.  Which complicates things even more.  Then here come the statins...but i'm sure if they had your workout ethic they'd be doing a lot better.  Now if only a good work out and eating properly cured type ones...    

(Daryl Thompson) #19

Thank you for the support.  We are working on sevral levels to make this a reality. By thw way, I did find the spell checker.  I am a very bad speller.

Thanks Again

Daryl

(JMIAH) #20

HEy Ruckus! thanks for the rely man!! In all actuality, i think really ON to something in this kinda lifestyle that will tremendously help TYPE 1 diabetics... it's ALL about stabilizing the blood glucose levels and I've been able to decrease my dosages by fitness and proper nutrition. If we can really teach people this and especially at an early age, we can prevent/cure TYPE 2 diabetics and HELP a LOT of type 1 diabetics too!

Jmiah
www.Jmiah.com
"2nd Place Winner of MODEL UNIVERSE 07 and 08"
"3rd Place Winner of MODEL AMERICA 07"