Possible Virus

(Unikka) #1

Hello,

I’m new to the group. My 11 year old son was diagnosed on 9/15/17.

For the last couple of weeks, he has been running a low-grade (96, 99.4 today) fever at school. His bg is fine. But he does have a really bad headache. The Endo says doesn’t sound like it’s related to the diabetes; primary says he’s probably trying to get a virus. I don’t know what to do at this point. I know that viruses have to run it’s course, but we’re into his second week of this.
Should I take him in to his primary to be seen?
TIA

(Dennis J. Dacey, PWD) #2

Tia,
I’m NOT an expert, but in my experience a virus will need to run its course; if you will be more at ease, let him be seen by his primary.
Also, because he has diabetes and neither you nor your son know yet what to expect, I suggest that you keep a close watch for any change in condition; monitor BG frequently and if those readings become consistently check for ketones. Elevated BG and ketones could indicate need for additional insulin - any changes should be made under guidance of his diabetes care providers.

(Joel) #3

So, a temp that low doesn’t really indicate a viral infection, but monitoring BG every 3 hours or so and checking for ketones are sure to identify problems early.

I think he may just be dehydrated, as I know that when I haven’t been drinking enough water I feel warm and can get headaches. Try encouraging him to hydrate and see if that helps. And as @Dennis said, taking him to the doctor is always an option, and one that you can feel justified in taking since this is all still so new for you all.

(Unikka) #4

Thank you Dennis. Since he’s been out of school the last couple of days for Thanksgiving, he’s been fine.

(Unikka) #5

Thank you. I do believe he needs more water. When he goes back to school after Thanksgiving, I’ll send him with some so that he doesn’t have to leave class to go to the water fountain.

(Dennis J. Dacey, PWD) #6

That is good to hear Unikka @Umccaster, maybe being in his place of comfort with you he is able to live a more normal life. Unconsciously he may be showing his trust that mother won’t let anything go wrong.

I had overlooked dehydration factor that Joel @T1dadandICU-RN brought up - he has probably seen that as much as anyone else; I know our daughter who has worked emergency medicine for thirty years has told me that the majority of hypERglycemia customers brought into her ER are dehydrated - among other things.