Professional CGM

(Amanda) #1

So I might be getting a Professional CGM put on. It’ll be on for a wk and off for about a month. Is this a good idea?

(Janet) #2

You might as well try it. Being off it may make you realize what you’ve been missing.

(Amanda) #3

OK. The people who are putting it on are going to try it repeatedly and then try to get medicaid to pay for a personal one. They won’t pay for it yet.

(Dennis J. Dacey, PwD) #4

Amanda @AAT1D, having in my mind what you have shared recently and you deep concern about taking good care of yourself, I think this would be very well worth experiencing - especially if the doctor who will monitor and advise you knows what s/he is doing.
For years I thought that I was managing good because my HbA1c was always around 6.0 - but it turns out, my actual management was lousy. Remember, A1c is a 24 hour per day average of body glucose during a 90 day period - it does NOT tell you how often your BGL is in range. The glucose monitor you will be wearing will tell you and your doctor which hours of your day need attention. Since I began using a CGM regularly, I’ve been able to make adjustments and have brought over 80% of my 244 daily reading to be within a narrow target range.

Good luck with this experiment, and I do hope that you can qualify for ongoing use of a CGM.

(MichelleP) #5

Yes to the CGM. You will get a much more thorough look at what is happening with your blood sugars and in the long, long, run will keep you healthier. The more information you have regarding your disease the more empowered you will be to manage it on your own and make decisions. Your healthcare providers do not live with diabetes 24/7. They can only guide you so far.
Give the CGM a try, it’s not perfect but it’s the best technology we’ve ever had (I’ve been Diabetic for 52 years) and with your hard work and self care you’ll feel better and live with fewer complications for a lifetime.

(Tim) #6

It sounds to me like you might be referring to the FreeStyle Libre Professional CGM, which can only be read at your doctor’s office. I began using the Libre Professional system for the first time back in early 2018, 10 days prior to an appt with my endocrinologist. It was very useful, along with detailed food records, for diagnosing issues and adjusting pump settings. Libre also has a patient version that can be read periodically with a scanner, which I began using occasionally around mid-2018, especially just prior to endo appts. I found using it constantly a bit frustrating though because it attaches to the back of your arm and have had it pulled off while reaching my arm deep into a cabinet, or fall off while playing golf in humid weather. Personally I much prefer the DexCom CGM.

(Nancy) #7

I believe Medicare will pay for a dexcom chm. Good luck!

I wore a big, hulking cgms 20 years ago, before I even considered a pump, applied and read only buy my doctor’s office. Lots of wires! But it was beneficial. So happy for multiprocessing!

To your good health!

Nancy