Pump problems

(mellannie) #1

i have a minimed paradigm 712 pump and lately is been going off with random alarms. it can be sitting on a table and the button alert will go off. this morning 5 minutes after i bolused, the auto off alarm went off. its been doing this for a while and i'm not sure if i should call minimed about it. i have been told its normal for them to have random alarms go off, but it happens frequently and i am scared its malfunctioning. i have had it for over 2 years. (a pump usually lasts me about a year, i am surprised this one lasted me as long as it has)

so do i need ot call minimed about it? and if anyone could help me out here, do you know if minimed offers refurbished insulin pumps? I might just get one of those if i can find a cheap enough one.

(BrianPQuinn) #2

Melanie,

If the alarms are randomly going off you need to have the pump examined. It could be many different things that are causing the alarm to go off. Or just a malfunction. If you are out of warranty I am sure Minimed can help you out either with a refurbished pump or work with insurance to get you a new one. Best of luck. Keep us posted.

(Anonymous) #3

I had a similar problem over the Summer. I called minimed medtronic and they had me send the pump to them and sent me a refurbished pump. This was all done at no charge to me. Like Brian said if you are no longer under warranty they will work with your insurance to get you a replacement. Go ahead and give them a call they have reps at the call centers 24hrs a day.

(TextingMyPancreas) #4

Random-ish question:  is one year a normal life expectancy for a pump??  Mine lasted me 3 1/2 years before it konked out.

(Anonymous) #5

[quote user="Kim"]

Random-ish question:  is one year a normal life expectancy for a pump??  Mine lasted me 3 1/2 years before it konked out.

[/quote]

I have been on a pump for 15 years (minus some time in there for various reasons) The shortest life I had for a pump was a year and a few months. Longest life a little over four years.