Quickserter problems!?!

(2Sweet4U) #1

Recently bought a new Quickserter for my minimed paradigm quicksets, and it is not inserting right! The other serters seemed to wear out in terms of the spring springing well. So I bought this one. Three days ago this new one only put my site in halfway, and also today! Which meant I had to start over both times with the site, and wasted a perfectly good spot on my tummy. And I still don't know if the one I just put in is in well enough. The serter doesn't go "CHUNK" like it should, it goes "chu-click".

Mom's on the phone with Minimed now to order a new one before I have to change it again in 3 days.

Anyone else experienced this? How often if ever, do you/should you replace Quickserters?

Thanks!

Amanda 

(cmdeans) #2

I used the QuickSerter(s) for 4 years up until a week or 2 ago when I switched to OmniPod.  Never had any trouble like what you're describing.  I would replace it with a new one, like it sounds like you're already doing.  As far as how often to replace, I replaced mine every time I lost one, which was pretty frequently.  For me, I ended up with probably about one every 10 months.  In the end, I started keeping more than one in case I lost one.  Something to consider.

(2Sweet4U) #3

Hmmm interesting... yes my mom is also going to order a backup so I won't be stuck like this again. A new one came within 16 hours of calling, though, so I'm good now...hopefully.

Thanks for your input. I guess I just got a "fluke" serter.

(BrianPQuinn) #4

Amanda,

I ran into that problem a few times with my quickserter. I had two problems with the serter not working properly. The first that happened from time to time when I would peel the adhesive off of the infusion set, the set would sometimes stick to the serter causing it to go ca-chunk. Once I double checked for sticking the problem went away. The other thing I ran into from time to time with the serter is that one of the two presses would stick from time to time. What I would begin to do before putting an infusion set in, is test the serter a few times to make sure the mechanism was still functioning properly. Hope that helps.

(2Sweet4U) #5

[quote user="Brian Q."]

Amanda,

I ran into that problem a few times with my quickserter. I had two problems with the serter not working properly. The first that happened from time to time when I would peel the adhesive off of the infusion set, the set would sometimes stick to the serter causing it to go ca-chunk. Once I double checked for sticking the problem went away. The other thing I ran into from time to time with the serter is that one of the two presses would stick from time to time. What I would begin to do before putting an infusion set in, is test the serter a few times to make sure the mechanism was still functioning properly. Hope that helps.

[/quote]

Yes, the sticking thing has also happened to me, but not that badly. I usually test it before but I should get in the habit of always doing it.

Need to go change my set now and see how the brand new serter works! How exciting...

(BrianPQuinn) #6

Amanda,

Hopefully everything worked out for you with the new serter. I mean the other option is to just man up or woman up and just do it manually. Not gonna lie though, doing it manually is strange and you truly need to push it in fast. Sometimes when I did my shots I would take my time putting it in, but with the infusion set it is better to just get it over with. Hopefully you have more luck with the new serter though.

(ReneeC) #7

My son is on the minimed pump with the inserter, but he was always afraid of it.  I have always "manually" put in his sites.  I put it in fast, like throwing a dart. 

(2Sweet4U) #8

The new one worked the first time I used it. I'll have to change my set again tomorrow again.

As much as I'd like to be able to put it in manually, I am afraid of needles and just could not bring myself to do it. Wish I could. I was on that site for the new shot port thing, and I watched the tutorial video and I was half freaked out/half fascinated by how fast the person jammed the port in. For now I will stick with the serter :)

(bassoonist1719) #9

Yeah, inserting it manually is hard not just because of having to stab the needle into yourself but because sometimes it can kink or mess up the tubing. 

I have multiple Quickserters but I think they're all pretty old.  Some of them are smoother "chunks" and others aren't, but they all work for me the majority of the time.  It is really annoying the way they can half-insert if you don't press both buttons at the exact same time, but that hasn't ever given me bad sites.  It sounds like your Quickserter was just defective :(

(Michelle031583) #10

I have experieced this plenty. I bought a new one and now when I go to inject it almost goes in but it catches on the side. You might have to make sure it's on there tight before you click it.

(Savs) #11

Ahh, the horrible quickserters. Haha, I had so many problems with those. They almost constantly either got stuck on the inserter itself or I didn't click the buttons at the same time. If you have this problem a lot like I did, you can always switch to the sillhouete sets, they're really nice and easy to put in without the inserter thing.

(2Sweet4U) #12

Wow I never knew other people had this problem... I like using the inserter though. Sometimes the edge of the tape gets stuck to the serter too. That is really annoying. And I hate it when the buttons aren't pulled totally back. I always make sure the set is in the serter well and that it's pulled all the way back so one of the buttons doesn't backfire. This serter seems to be working fine though... (hope I didn't just jinx it!!)

(gill) #13

omg i luvvvvvvv omnipod!

(cmdeans) #14

Yeah, this is true.  I used a Medtronic set with QuickSets (and the QuickSerter) for 4 years and just recently switched to OmniPod and I LOVE the insertion aspect of it.  You just push a button and it waits a few seconds and then does it all automatically for you.  No tools, no needles, nothing at all to do yourself (except push the button, which, truthfully, I sometimes ask my boyfriend to do). 

My main problem with the QuickSerters was that I'd lose them sometimes when traveling or moving and, since I *can't* make myself do manual insertions quickly, the catheter almost always got bent when I tried to do it manually.

(2Sweet4U) #15

[quote user="Carolyn Deans"]

You just push a button and it waits a few seconds and then does it all automatically for you.  No tools, no needles, nothing at all to do yourself (except push the button, which, truthfully, I sometimes ask my boyfriend to do). 

[/quote]

I have never tried to put one in manually. I couldn't do it-- I would have to whip out some syringes and my inject-ease. Finally, another person afraid to manually insert! :) I had no idea that the omnipod insertion is so mechanized...I assumed it was very mechanical (push buttons, spring goes) as opposed to so fine-tuned. Interesting. Thought about getting the omnipod when I first went on the pump two and a half years ago but liked the skins you can put on the minimed :) and also liked the connecting/disconnecting ease. Maybe will take another look at the omnipod or other options in a few years, see if I can find anything that has a really good inserter. For now though the quickserter is working, and I'm going to order another one so I have backup in case I lose it.

(figure skater girl) #16

i have a faulty one. just phone the company, say you have a faulty one and theyll replace it

(Josie) #17

I had so many problems with my quickserters.  One problem as some people have mentioned is when the adhesive would get stuck on the inside of the device and so when I pressed the buttons then it would only go in partially and hurt!  Also, then the sticky stuff would build up on the inside of the device and it would start sticking more often.  The solution I had for this was to: clean the inside with a bit of rubbing alcohol to get the sticky stuff off and then when I loaded the device, I would hold  the blue part that sticks out of the device (where the tubing comes out I believe) to make sure it didn't wiggle around and get stuck.  Another problem I had was that even though I thought I was pressing both the buttons at the exact same time I wasn't so it wouldn't go in properly.  I ended up having a lot of problems with the quicksets overall because of my body type so switched to the silhouette which I find way less painful.  The needle is a little bigger but it's for sure worth it!

(2Sweet4U) #18

[quote user="Josie"]

IAlso, then the sticky stuff would build up on the inside of the device and it would start sticking more often.  The solution I had for this was to: clean the inside with a bit of rubbing alcohol to get the sticky stuff off and then when I loaded the device, I would hold  the blue part that sticks out of the device (where the tubing comes out I believe) to make sure it didn't wiggle around and get stuck. 

[/quote]

I never thought of using rubbing alcohol to get the stickyness off the sides. Thanks.

A few questions-- is the silhouette manually inserted or does it have a serter? Also is it an angled insertion or 90-degree? And do you mind telling where you put your sites with the silhouette sets?

Thanks!!

(Josie) #19

There is a serter for the sihouette but I do it manually - it just seems simpler to me that way.  It looks a bit scarier at first cause you can see the needle more but it doesn't hurt so I got used to it really fast.  You just put it in at an angle and it doesn't really matter how deep it goes or how much of the needle goes in, as long as it's in at least partway.  There's a little window so you can make sure it's in which is really great.  I just go along each side of my abdomen in a zigzag but I know you can put it other places, I just prefer to do it that way.   Hope the info helps!!

(2Sweet4U) #20

[quote user="Josie"]

There is a serter for the sihouette but I do it manually - it just seems simpler to me that way.  It looks a bit scarier at first cause you can see the needle more but it doesn't hurt so I got used to it really fast.  You just put it in at an angle and it doesn't really matter how deep it goes or how much of the needle goes in, as long as it's in at least partway.  There's a little window so you can make sure it's in which is really great.  I just go along each side of my abdomen in a zigzag but I know you can put it other places, I just prefer to do it that way.   Hope the info helps!!

[/quote]

Thanks! Didn't know anything about the silhouette before this-- it might be worth considering.