Red Hot Chili Peppers?

(paulg765) #1

Just wondering how many of you have read about the diabetic research which is being done with Capsaicin, the natural ingredient contained in Hot Chili Peppers which makes them unbearably hot?  This research has been going on since around 2006, but it still being heavily investigated.  (There are many articles pertaining to this research online.)

Basically, some Canadian researchers injected the pancreases of diabetic mice with pure Capsaicin only to find that they were instantly (and permanently?) cured of insulin dependence.  Here's some excerpts from one article, but there are many more in scientific journals:

In a discovery that has stunned even those behind it, scientists at a Toronto hospital say they have proof the body's nervous system helps trigger diabetes, opening the door to a potential near-cure of the disease that affects millions of Canadians.

Diabetic mice became healthy virtually overnight after researchers injected a substance to counteract the effect of malfunctioning pain neurons in the pancreas.

"I couldn't believe it," said Dr. Michael Salter, a pain expert at the Hospital for Sick Children and one of the scientists. "Mice with diabetes suddenly didn't have diabetes any more."

Suspecting a link between the nerves and diabetes, he and Dr. Salter used an old experimental trick -- injecting capsaicin, the active ingredient in hot chili peppers, to kill the pancreatic sensory nerves in mice that had an equivalent of Type 1 diabetes.

"Then we had the biggest shock of our lives," Dr. Dosch said. Almost immediately, the islets began producing insulin normally "It was a shock ? really out of left field, because nothing in the literature was saying anything about this."

The researchers are now setting out to confirm that the connection between sensory nerves and diabetes holds true in humans. If it does, they will see if their treatments have the same effects on people as they did on mice.

Nothing is for sure, but "there is a great deal of promise," Dr. Salter said.

I've chopped up the article to shorten it, but you can read the whole thing here:
http://www.nationalpost.com/news/story.html?id=a042812e-492c-4f07-8245-8a598ab5d1bf&k=63970

Paul

(Sugar-FreeInYYC) #2

I heard about this research breakthrough a couple years ago.  I am from Canada so it was widely spread around here and at the time I was living not too far from Toronto.

They realized that it was like rebooting a computer.  That it wasn't an auto-immune problem it was a nervous system problem.

To tell you the truth, we were ALL very excited by this find but you would have to find out if it was pulled.  I remember hearing about a find that had been reversed and pulled from the news or something?

Can't remember really.

It is interesting and if it could reverse insulin dependence... then GREAT, we'd all be saved..:D

Us Canadians, we come up with such wonderful stuff ;) hehehe  The Sick Kids hospital and the U of Toronto are very advanced in their diabetes research, hopefully they'll find something soon!

(ThePancreanator) #3

What a neat toppic.  Was actually expecting this thread to relate to "The Red Hot Chili Peppers" but actual peppers are cool too.  I love spicy foods.  I wonder if the pepper is injested if it would have any of the same effects.  It would be neat looking into seeing if there are any benefits of cooking the pepper.  I would get the spicyness that I love and possibly diabetic relief.  Wouldn't that be neat?

(Woo Its Pat) #4

I heard this as well, but disappointingly, they are mice...when they're ready to inject human pancreases with capsaicin, I'll be first in line...

Thought I was coming in here to read about Californication :-/

(Gina) #5

Matt,

I thought this topic was about The Red Hot Chili Peppers too haha

Anyway, maybe we should all add chili peppers to our diets. Wouldn't that be something all of a sudden we all get cured from eating peppers! Ahh its good to dream ain't it!

(paulg765) #6

Capsaicin OINTMENT, on the other hand, is is an approven and currently prescribed treatment for diabetic neuropathy.  Unfortunately, it is quite expensive to purchase if you don't have health insurance.  More importantly, as you can imagine because it is almost as hot on your skin as it is in your mouth, it has to be handled very carefully.  I believe the tubes of ointment come with a pair of gloves to apply it safely.

Anyway, in the following "article" you will learn that you can make you own Capsaicin ointment by combining Cayenne Pepper with a jar of cold cream.  But, be very, very careful.  Read on and see what happened to this fellow...

C-fiber pain often responds to capsaicin. Capsaicin, extracted from chili pepper, is used in the form of a topical cream (such as Zostrix-HP) containing a 0.075 percent concentration of capsaicin. It needs to be applied three to four times a day.

Capsaicin is thought to work either by depleting "substance P," a neurotransmitter which is fundamental to the body's pain mechanism, or by acting as a counter-irritant, causing an initial increase and then decrease of pain by over-stimulating certain nerves. (Diabetes Forecast, June 1992)

This may explain why some individuals experience an initial exacerbation in symptoms followed by relief in two to three weeks. While this usually fades after a week or two, it appears to deter some people from continuing their treatment.

Capsaicin, however, is rather expensive. To avoid these costs Vinik recommends making your own capsaicin-like cream by mixing three teaspoons of cayenne pepper in a jar of cold cream.

If you decide to use either type of cream, special care must be taken when applying it to prevent irritation to other parts of the body. Users should wear gloves and apply only a thin layer of the cream. If it is applied too thick, it may dry and chip off creating a powder that can irritate the mucous membranes of the eyes, nose, mouth and lungs.

The use of Vinik's home version of capsaicin provided the foundation for a memorable moment for the doctor. "Perhaps the worst day of my life was when a six foot four inch, 240 pound man came into my office, grabbed my collar and told me he was going to kill me," remembers Vinik.

The man asked if Vinik had recommended that his wife put the cream on her feet. Vinik replied that he had when the man furthered his question with, "And you didn't tell her to wash her hands before we had sex?"

"The moral of this story is to remember to always use plastic gloves," says Vinik. Diabetics require support from their loved ones, but as this example shows, everyone has their threshold.

(MaDEvans) #7

I LOVE the red hot chili peppers!

...Oops.  Me too.  Haha.

(Doug D) #8

I had heard about it a while ago but forgot about it until you mentioned it Paul.  I think there maybe something to it.  There is a 'botanical pharmacy' that is near me called the American Botanical Pharmacy and it's based off of finding from Dr. Schulze.  Now, there are some who think he's out of his mind but I prefer natural suppliments rather than taking meds.  One of the things I tried from his shop was called Eyebright Formula and it acutally has Cayenne in it.  It's supposed to help with increased blood circulation in the eyes.  You dilute a few drops into a eye dropper - I just used an empty one from some moisturizing eye drops I used -  with some distilled water.   After just going to the eye doc - I must say I'll continue to use it as my eyes improved tremendously and my early stage of cataracts I had were reduced.  It has a quick sting to it when you put it in but your eyes feel very refreshed afterwords.    Here's the link if you want to check it out - have to click on the 'Eyes and Mouth' tab under specific.  https://web0.herbdoc.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=17&Itemid=38

Getting back to topic, based on some of the things I've used from the ABP, it wouldn't surprise me if Capsaicin would help!  If you see anything further pelase keep us up - I'll do the same!

(DDrumminMan) #9

Interesting.  I'll file this along with the one about implanting seaweed beneath the skin to produce insulin.  http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/Seaweed-offers-hope-to-diabetes-patients/2006/02/21/1140284034351.html

I read this post thinking it was going to be about Blood Sugar Sex Magic!