Seriously though. read

(Dahlie.) #1

ahem, maybe im a little confused. maybe...its the snow getting to me. who knows? but i often find myself realizing as i read other forums that i have very different experiences than other diabetics. as in, i just read someone say that they were testing up to 10 times a day. when i test up to 27-30 times. i often find that every shot i take hurts. infact i think ive only had several that dont. i often hit nerves, and thats extremely painful.

i also find that my body does very random things. ive been diabetic for over 5 years, so i should be out of my honeymoon, but im still hovering right on the edge of an official honeymoon stage. ive stumped 4 doctors so far, and my current one has no idea what to do with me. i was just wondering if others have similar experiences to me? just wondering because us diabetics often feel alone, but its incredibly lonesome when you cant even connect with other diabetics.

? :/ ? 

(joe) #2

[quote user="brenna."]

... as in, i just read someone say that they were testing up to 10 times a day. when i test up to 27-30 times. i often find that every shot i take hurts. infact i think ive only had several that dont. i often hit nerves, and thats extremely painful.

i also find that my body does very random things. ive been diabetic for over 5 years, so i should be out of my honeymoon, but im still hovering right on the edge of an official honeymoon stage. ive stumped 4 doctors so far, and my current one has no idea what to do with me. i was just wondering if others have similar experiences to me? just wondering because us diabetics often feel alone, but its incredibly lonesome when you cant even connect with other diabetics.

[/quote]

hi Brenna,

testing is a real personal thing, ya know?  since I can feel my bs, I don't usually test more than once an hour.  Since I am on a pump, I can have a good bs for 5-6 hours straight.   if all that testing helps you - who cares if it's 27 x a day...or not once in 16 years?

on the shot thing.  I hate shots and they always hurt me.  I almost got violent in the endo's office she said "use your stomach".  I can't. I see stars if I use my stomach.   I also have had issues with cappilaries that bleed like I am going to DIE.  in 29 years of "just" shots I never got used to it and it always sucked.  always.  my infusion needles hurt too, there's just less of them.

I think my honeymoon lasted 18 months but a honeymoon can last forever.  If your doctor is really baffeled then find a new doctor he or she sounds dumb.  Your body can continue to make a little to a lot of insulin indefinately.  There is research to suggest some people regenerate their own beta cells and outa nowhere start making a little insulin, once in a while.  it's good news, really if a vaccine ever gets developed. especially for a geezer like me.  =)  It's bad news in a sense because just when you figure out how much insulin you need for a snickers bar you gotta start over.

sorry you feel alone.  I sometimes feel alone becasue there just aren't a lot of us, even if a few thou get together in an online community we are a vast minority of people.  I like these communities but I don't always agree or even identify with everyone.  but we do have T1 in common. 

(jpnairn) #3

Hi, Brenna,

I agree that you might want to look for another doctor. You sound like you should qualify for a CGM as a definite medical necessity. Have you ever had a C-peptide test to see how much insulin you were still making? Your doctors shouldn't be telling you they're baffled if they haven't done both of those things, and several more things I would never think of. I'm just a diabetic like you.

I hope that you don't feel too alone. We're all different, and we're all the same. The rest of us type 1 diabetics here have at least some things in common with you. No one else is going to be going through exactly the same thing.

Best wishes.