Shot in the butt or the belly. What's the difference?

(ThePancreanator) #1

So I had a first today.  I decided I'd give myself a shot in the rear.  Since I've been dx'ed I've only given myself a shot in the stomach, and 1. I don't want to build up scar tissue, and 2. As I exercise more I hope to lose a lot of the fat in my stomach anyways.  Are there any noticeable differences in how the body takes in the insulin from different injection areas?

(Eric_Carpenter) #2

The speed with which the insulin enters the bloodstream differs based on injection site. Check out http://www.bd.com/us/diabetes/page.aspx?cat=7001&id=7282  for more, but quickly:

• Fastest from the abdomen (stomach)

• A little slower from the arms

• Even slower from the legs

• Slowest from the buttocks

(Doug D) #3

Mainly it's just absorbtion rate.  They say the stomach has the best absorbtion.  Some people don't notice a difference.  Before I moved to the pump, I did notice that I had to have an extra unit or two if I did it in say the leg or butt.  The arm was better.   Sometimes I'll put the pump infusion set on a hip to give the tummy a break and it does have a longer reaction time for me.  It may just depend on the person.

(ThePancreanator) #4

[quote user="Eric_Carpenter"]

The speed with which the insulin enters the bloodstream differs based on injection site. Check out http://www.bd.com/us/diabetes/page.aspx?cat=7001&id=7282  for more, but quickly:

• Fastest from the abdomen (stomach)

• A little slower from the arms

• Even slower from the legs

• Slowest from the buttocks

[/quote]

Well this sucks (haha).  I actually took an extra unit today because I've been experiencing kind of a few highs the last couple of days.  Yesterday I believe I overestimated the effect that 30 minutes of cardio would have on my blood sugar and ate too much.  But I probably should have researched this a little before I injected in the buttocks.  Hopefully the difference won't be greatly noticed.  

(Dillripple) #5

Ive been doing alot more shots(of humalog) in my stomach to lower my high's which have been out of control for awhile. Im starting to think because Ive been doing it more in the stomach that Im gaining weight there. Now I do rotate my site injections but when its high I do the stomach for fastest results.

I give my lantus insulin in my butt or thighs when I go to bed. I cant put large amounts in my belly or arms.

Do anyone else think you gain weight more in the area you inject into?

(ThePancreanator) #6

[quote user="Sue"]

Ive been doing alot more shots(of humalog) in my stomach to lower my high's which have been out of control for awhile. Im starting to think because Ive been doing it more in the stomach that Im gaining weight there. Now I do rotate my site injections but when its high I do the stomach for fastest results.

I give my lantus insulin in my butt or thighs when I go to bed. I cant put large amounts in my belly or arms.

Do anyone else think you gain weight more in the area you inject into?

[/quote]

I haven't really noticed weight gain, but it almost seems like there's been a little hardening of the skin under my stomach where I've been giving myself injections.  This is one of the big reasons I decided to try injections in my butt.  It's a little comforting to hear that you give yourself the lantus injections in the buttocks because that's what I was mainly talking about.  Hopefully that works out.  The only time I've had an injection in my arm is when the nurse at my Dr.'s office gave me my first injection and I haven't tried it since then.

(system) #7

I've switched to using my arms and thighs only for shots..I use my stomach now only when I have to..I've noticed that what was hard issue, is now flabby! Gotta hit the crunches! Now my thighs and arms are taking the fat pockets..but those are easier to maintain I think then stomach...I don't have a flat tummy now..but since switching after almost 15years of always using my stomach..I did notice my stomach got a big smaller when I stopped taking shots there.