Son Caught in the Act Diabetes Public Service Announcement

(taylor282) #1

Serve Marketing, a non-profit advertising agency in Milwaukee, has recently released a web-only PSA designed to catch the attention of parents and alert them to the consequences of - and prevention tips for - diabetes. Here's a link to the 46-second video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EKXBuClORAand to a website, DiabetesIsNoPicnic.com,  where anyone can calculate his or her BMI and learn how to keep their children healthy and active. We also hope this PSA will encourage discussions, so please post your comments and thoughts. We'd love to hear them. 

(Jeff09) #2

Well i'll start by saying...really they had to use a sexual situation to catch peoples attention about obesity and diabetes..Its also misleading and not true..You dont get type 1 by your diet or anything you do..like over eating and being overweight which it clearly is intending in the video..and why does it only mention that diabetes causes blindness, diabetes can lead to other things too. and its basically saying that when/if you get diabetes that you WILL go blind..yea, thats a huge risk factor if you have poor management...Idk this video just go to me.

(Anonymous) #3

[quote user="taylor282"]

Serve Marketing, a non-profit advertising agency in Milwaukee, has recently released a web-only PSA designed to catch the attention of parents and alert them to the consequences of - and prevention tips for - diabetes. Here's a link to the 46-second video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EKXBuClORAand to a website, DiabetesIsNoPicnic.com,  where anyone can calculate his or her BMI and learn how to keep their children healthy and active. We also hope this PSA will encourage discussions, so please post your comments and thoughts. We'd love to hear them. 

[/quote]

Garbage  like this is exactly why T1 needs a new name.

(Matthews Dad) #4

Everytime you think we gain a little ground another stupid stereotype shows up and tells people that it is Big Macs that cause diabetes

Learn the facts 

(CHLjoe) #5

Anyone else play with the BMI calculator?  Apparently I should be 6'6 in order to be a healthy weight instead of 5'11 and 212lbs.  Fun stuff considering the BMI is in no way an indicator of health but yet the medical and nonmedical professionals seem to enjoy using it.  Probably should specify that it is type 2 diabetes that the PSA is meant for within the PSA rather than mention it in the Type 1 vs Type 2 section of the website.  It would make it more clear and generate a better reaction and solution to the issue.

(kdewi) #6

[quote user="Happy Vegan"]

[/quote]

yes please!  let's come up with a new name.

then maybe people will stop looking me up and down before saying "you don't look like you have diabetes."

(Doug D) #7

Taylor - are you with Serve Marketing?  I like the fact that you guys are trying to help various charities but all you have done is upset people with type 1 diabetes.  We already have enough stereotypes to over come and yet you continue to put this stuff out.   How come on either the link for DiabetesIsNoPicnic link and on the Serve Marketing site itself, there is no link to give you feedback?  I'm even offended for those wtih type 2 diabetes.  There are plenty of type 2 diabetics who didn't get it because they are overweight.   Your site said that it is not geared toward those with type 1 diabetes but yet you don't define which one your are talking about.  Did the ADA have input on this?  To me, it's obvious the scare tactics haven't worked for the years they've been on television and the so called 'diabetes epidemic' has just continued to get worse.  Don't you think it might be time for a change?  This is why I support JDRF - they get it - it's about research and support.  Heck the ADA doesn't even recognize type 1.5 diabetes on the website when you pull up 'diabetes basics'.    It's pathetic.   I did see a number to Serve on the website - at least you did that.  I think I might even call later when you are 'open'.

(stilledlife) #8

Your info on the type 1 description needs HELP. State that it is an autoimmune disease where the body stops recognizing itself and attacks its self. If you are really looking for info we'll help, that is what we do here. Most importantly you do not have a statement saying that this site is dedicated to type 2 diabetes Anywhere. even on your page dedicated to the difference between the two diseases.  

I'm concerned about the constant use of the word FAIL in the don't be in denial section. this is not going to help encourage good and healthy life eating  and exercise habits. Type 2 is not a failure- it is something that must be addressed through choices and actions. calling parents a failure in their children's math and sciences scores doesn't work. they just get angry and take it out on their kids- nothing productive comes out of it.

Try some different approaches. -cuz really the one you have taken just pisses everyone off and pits our sarcasm against your potential that is a lose lose situation.

(alexandra) #9

Type 1 and type 2 diabetes are two very different diseases with different causes, and everyone even remotely educated in diabetes knows that. However, most of your viewers do not know the difference,and by showing them this video, it destroys everything that we type 1's have worked for- getting people to recognize the difference. I really hope that after hearing what we have to say about this video here on juvenation, you will fix your blunder, and let people know that you are talking about type 2 diabetes. Because you're right, diabetes is no picnic, especially when we are constantly having to defend ourselves and our reasons for getting the disease.

(and as an afterthought, who makes that kind of noise when eating a hamburger?)

(kdewi) #10

ok, so i actually watched the video... wow.  46 seconds of my life that i'll never get back.  that and the 2 minutes it took me to write this post.

(kneazle_lady) #11

How frankly offensive and absurd can a video actually get?

And I hope that the person who posted this offensive video is actually not trying to peddle it on here! If this is someone's idea of a public service announcement, well...seems to me that this person just needs to go away...oh, and while leaving, how about look up the following words that apply to not only T1, but Lupus, Multiple Sclerosis, Rheumatoid Arthritis, etc...

Here's a handy-dandy list! Then the video maker can come on here and have a decent "conversation" with people who live with T1 and the all-encompassing idiocy of complete nimrods who make specious little videos all about what none of us have:

I'll warn the video maker that some of these words are awfully big and scary and like, go beyond SEE DICK RUN. SEE DICK POST A VIDEO ABOUT A DISEASE CALLED T1. DICK KNOWS NOTHING ABOUT T1. DICK THINKS HE DOES! DICK! READ A BOOK! SEE JANE. JANE HAS T1. SEE JANE THROW LARGE OBJECTS AT THE COMPUTER SCREEN. JANE THE T1 IS MAD. DICK IS DUMB. SEE DICK RUN.

word number 1: A U T O I M M U N E
word number 1 with letters all close together now: AUTOIMMUNE
word group number 3: D I A B E T I C       K E T O A C I D O S I S
word group number 3 all close together now: DIABETIC KETOACIDOSIS

Help the poor video maker out, people with T1 or parents of T1 people...are there any other SPECIAL WORDS that the video maker needs to know?

(kneazle_lady) #12

Oh and "Serve Marketing," I'd 'calculate the BMI' of your brain, but I don't have a scale that measures nanograms.

(ScottT) #13

[quote user="Kirk"]

[quote user="Happy Vegan"]

[/quote]

yes please!  let's come up with a new name.

then maybe people will stop looking me up and down before saying "you don't look like you have diabetes."

[/quote]

AKA:  "You don't look Jewish." "Well, before you opened your mouth,  you didn't look like a goof!"

(AuDAlly) #14

Serve Marketing should be held [legally] responsible for the dissemination of false information to the public. Type 1 Diabetes isn't preventable..

(CHLjoe) #15

[quote user="Ally"]

Serve Marketing should be held [legally] responsible for the dissemination of false information to the public. Type 1 Diabetes isn't preventable..

[/quote]

What false information are you referring to?

(eva330) #16

I feel the same EXACT way everyone else does

That was an offesive, stupid and unprofessionsal video that was obviously just put on there for attention.

Your website diabetetes is no picnic is filled with poor information including the most non informative definition of the different types of diabetes

and Type 2 isnt only caused by being overweight

come on, seriously

(JDVsMom) #17

How "interesting" that pretty much the entire site diabetesisnopicnic.com can be debunked by following one of the Links: http://www.diabetes.org/diabetes-basics/diabetes-myths/

At least I can give them a little credit for at least having one credible source for more info. . Who sponsored this picnic site and who provided the info? Bah!

(kneazle_lady) #18
So CHLJoe, I replied to your post about false information because the comments below, posted in response to the aforementioned, idiotic, cruel, bigoted video, seemed to fall into the category of false information. What kills me is the smug self-adulatory tone to this commenter, who evidently--at least from his writing--seems to have played some role in the making of this video:

GaryrMueller64 (1 week ago) 
Most marketing research & our experience shows guilt and fear are far more effective at changing dangerous/unhealthy behaviors. Thats why our approach is to make people-unfamiliar with the disease & its potential consequences, uncomfortable with their inaction (which also makes the work unpopular w/ some people). Weve had great success with this approach in helping reduce teen pregnancy & number of shaken babies, increasing helmet use with? kids, & increasing breast and prostate screenings.

GaryrMueller64 (1 week ago) 
I respect the diabetes folks' passion. That's why you are so good at what you do - I applaud your efforts-in fact, thats what inspired us to help. We understand the difference between Type 1 & Type 2 -having done several campaigns for our local ADA chapter. we have also studied the disease & its prevention messaging -finding large org's typically use only positive, hopeful approaches -which makes the org feel good but rarely inspires real behavior change. which is our goal.?

Shaken babies, teen pregnancy, helmet use, mammograms, and prostate exams (talk about false analogies) and....T1!?! Wow. And we evidently "need behavior change"? I shudder to think what "campaigns" this charmless, narcissistic, inept, thick-brained, twit thinks he's done for the ADA. But then again, the ADA makes no special effort to actually articulate the word "autoimmune."

(CHLjoe) #19

He does have a certain arrogance about him doesn't he.  I mentioned it in my first post that they should have specified as to which disease they were referring to, it is clear but still, it would reduce the number of complaints with regard to type 1.  Technically he is correct in that it is an effective means of communication proven by such "knee-jerk" reactions by people.  It is not a very effective ad in terms of information conveyed because at the end they say that diabetes is the number one cause of blindness.  They are trying to get people to think about type 2, you would think that they would put up a statistic about that and not about blindness.  They don't state that inactivity and poor diet are the only factors that contribute to type 2 diabetes but they certainly are factors.  People aren't seeking further information from the site where all of this information is available.  They just assume that the group does not know what they are talking about and therefore ignorant.  That conclusion can be reached because as stated earlier, it was not a very effective informational tool. 

(system) #20

"diabetes doubles the risk of depression

at the same time people with depression may be more likely to develop diabetes"

HAHAHA I'm sorry, but I find that so ridiculous I can't stop laughing...