Son Takes Extra Clothes to School

(Enrika) #1

Shortly after diagnosis, my 7 year old son started packing several extra shirts in his school backpack.  I think he has about 7 shirts in there today, plus one pair of pants.  I'm not sure why he does this because he won't talk to me about it, but possibly he worries about sweating when is he low.  He experienced several lows while at school.  Has anyone else had a similar experience with their child?  I feel bad for him because his backpack now weighs about 30 pounds.  Thank you in advance for your input.

(stanandkathie) #2

I am not sure what is going on with your son, but with my daughter, she takes extra clothes because when she gets high blood sugar or low blood sugar, she tends to pee her pants.  She is 6 and she normally uses the toilet but when her levels are off she tends to wet.

(red) #3

Hi Enrika, I think your son's behavior is a wonderful opportunity for you two to sit down and talk about this. It'll be good for you to know WHY he feels compelled to do this and it's an opportunity for you to show him that you're in his corner and he doesn't have to tackle ANY diabetes challenge alone. Good luck.