Sugar lows

(Michael) #21

@dsullivan - my suggestion would be that he is not ready for a pump yet to be honest. While they do some great things, you have to be motivated to use it. And it wouldn’t necessarily help the lows if he is having issues with keeping an eye on his CGM.

I actually started on my pump at age 21. I really wasn’t worried about what others thought, or worried about the pump hanging off me - they are small enough that you can keep it in your pocket if that is a worry.

Sometimes it can take a serious event to force someone to get serious about their care. I went on the pump because of a near fatal episode of DKA - but even after that, I didn’t take the pump seriously because I wasn’t ready to.

I think that all you can do is show that you care and hope that he sees how serious the disease can be.

(D) #22

Thank you so much for reaching out. It definitely gives me hope.

(D) #23

I will. I also hope that he will eventually get the seriousness of it. Just hard waiting for him to get it. Lots of worries.

(D) #24

I will definitely mention to him. It only makes sense, however, for some reason, he is not that receptive.

(Michael) #25

I feel for you. I know I gave my parents quite a bit more worry than they deserved.

Not sure about f it helps your son but I can definitely say that I regret not caring for myself during periods of my life now. Hindsight is 20/20 as they say and I wish I would have done things differently as I am living with some of the consequences.

I wish you the best of luck and know you are not alone. My mom could tell you plenty of stories I am sure.

(Michael) #26

I was diagnosed when I was 11 back in 1976, and over the years I have had my share of highs and lows. I agree most of the comments saying he has to want to do it. I would suggest giving him support when needed but try not to push too hard. I am guessing he knows what he should be doing, but he has to do it! I remember growing up and having to deal with my mom, who "always knew what to do. " For her to suggest anything was just the beginning of an argument. Yes I was a miserable S.O.B. It wasn’t until I moved out that I finally started taking control. I realize that she was correct on a lot of the issues, and have since apologized many times over the years. Bear with it and hopefully he will get better with it. Also keep in mind that sometimes when dealing with a person whose sugar is in the moderately low range is sometimes like dealing with an argumentative drunk.

(P.) #27

Here’s a fairly simple thing to do. Keep the CGM on vibrate in the daytime. As you get ready to turn off the light at night, set the CGM on the red alarm “hypoRepeat” under “Profiles.” I am a deep sleeper and even if it has to repeatedly buzz, I will wake up and eat something and go right back to sleep. If he needs help finding the setting call the mfg. and they can walk him through it. My guess is that he just doesn’t want to be bothered in the middle of the night, but you can’t really ignore the HypoRepeat. If you want to sleep well, you could set it yourself. Just remind him in the morning to switch back to vibrate. He doesn’t want to be embarrassed by it alarming while he is in class or anywhere with friends. Give him a reward for compromising with you on this point–an extra hour of online time, a hamburger with all the trimmings, whatever teenagers want these days. I also have my alarm set at 80. If his BS goes down fast, set it higher: 85 or 90. Oh, also, tell him to take 15 grams of carb from his bedside table to treat low BS; he may be taking too little carb. Don’t put the CGM in bed with him, because that deadens the sound. Put it near the ear, say the nightstand.

(P.) #28

Oh, I should have added to my message, bribe him to try it the way I suggested for a week. If he doesn’t like it he doesn’t have to continue. Pay him $50 or something to agree to change the alarm settings each morning and night. My guess if he sees how much better that makes him feel, and has a little practice at it, he’ll want to continue on his own.