I’m starting a this topic which stems from another topic discussing the semantics of the word ‘diabetes’.
Anyway, I’m not sure If I’m alone, and I may come across as politically incorrect, but find it frustrating to be lumped in when referring to diabetes. I am T1D, and though its under the same medical umbrella, I am specifically T1D, and not Type 2.
These are 2 different diseases, and would appreciate they be differentiated.
T1D. to begin, is an autoimmune disease, while T2 not.
T1D requires insulin, while T2 mostly not.
T1D affects about 10% of all diabetics, while T2 the other 90%.
I don’t want to get into a comparison war, and I don’t feel either diabetic categories deserve more understanding, but I do believe a more accurate understanding of each category is deserved.
In fact, I believe because of the up-rise of T2, much more money and research is being invested. Some of this T2 research may even help the much smaller T1D population. As with all diseases, diabetes is a business, and the research follows the money, not necessarily the disease. But because of this T2 uprise, popular diabetes understanding is being formed by the majority- leaving the T1 minority without validation.
I’m the first to accept that non-diabetics are not probably not going to ever understand the intricacies of the disease, just as I couldn’t tell you the intricacies of other diseases I’m fortunate not to suffer. However, I need there to be a general understanding that these are 2 different diseases, and categorized as such.
I guess I’m being selfish, and looking for validation of my unique T1D experience. Having the two types of diabetes confused in the media and the population in general , I believe, lessens the chance that my unique experience can be appreciated.
As an example, I am being to feel like I’m being personally attacked, or insulted, when I watch these TV ads peddling T2 medicine. In one of these saccharine coated, flowery, grinning commercials a man begins, ‘My body still produces insulin…’ I wanted to throw something at the television. Who is he to mock me?
I realize I’m going off on a rant, and do not believe I am even being coherent.
My feelings about this may border on paranoid.
Anyway, I was hoping someone could their views on this topic.